- A thin film of Topicort should be applied to the affected areas twice daily.
- Using Topicort beyond 4 weeks is not advisable.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: There are no drug interactions listed for this product.
PREGNANCY AND BREASTFEEDING SAFETY:
- Topicort has not been adequately evaluated in pregnant women. Pregnant patients should not use corticosteroids extensively, in large amounts, or for prolonged periods of time.
- It is not known if Topicort is secreted in breast milk.
- Cream: 0.05, 0.25%
- Gel: 0.05%
- Ointment: 0.25%
- Spray: 0.25%
STORAGE: Store Topicort at room temperature between 15 C - 30 C (59 F - 86 F)
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM:
- Desoximetasone is a synthetic (man-made) corticosteroid that is used on the skin (topically). The naturally-occurring corticosteroid is cortisol or hydrocortisone produced by the adrenal gland. Corticosteroids have potent anti-inflammatory actions and also suppress the immune response.
- The FDA approved desoximetasone in March 1982.
REFERENCE: FDA Prescribing Information
Quick GuideRingworm: Treatment, Pictures, Causes, and Symptoms
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.