- Understanding Depression Slideshow
- Take the Depression Quiz
- Depression Tips Slideshow
- Find a local Psychiatrist in your town
- Depression in children facts
- What is childhood depression?
- What are the types of depression in children?
- What are causes and risk factors for depression in children?
- What are the symptoms and warning signs of depression in children?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose depression in children? Who are specialists?
- What should parents do if they suspect that their child is depressed?
- What is the treatment for depression in children?
- What are complications of depression in children?
- What is the prognosis for depression in children?
- Is it possible to prevent depression in children?
- Where can families get information and support for childhood depression?
Quick GuideDepression Hurts: Physical Symptoms of Depression
Where can families get information and support for childhood depression?
American Association of Suicidology
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
National Alliance for the Mentally Ill
2101 Wilson Boulevard Suite 302
Arlington, VA 22201
HelpLine: 800-950-NAMI (6264)
National Suicide Prevention Hotline
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention Program
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Ed. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
American Psychiatric Association. Treatment of patients with major depressive disorder, third edition. American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines; November 2010.
American Psychiatric Association, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. The Use of Medication in Treating Childhood and Adolescent Depression: Information for Patients and Families. American Psychiatric Association 2013.
Amr M, El-Mogy A, Shams T, et al. Efficacy of vitamin C as an adjunct to fluoxetine therapy in pediatric major depressive disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Nutrition Journal 2013; 12.
Benson LP, Williams RJ, Novick MB. Pediatric obesity and depression. Clinical Pediatrics 2013 January; 52(1): 24-29. Bhatia SK, Bhatia SC. Childhood and adolescent depression. American Family Physician 2007 January; 75(1): 73-80.
Brunsvold GL, Oepen G, Federman EJ, Akins R. Comorbid depression and ADHD in children and adolescents. Psychiatric Times 2008 September.
Chorney DB, Detweiler MF, Morris TL, Kuhn BR. The interplay of sleep disturbance, anxiety, and depression in children. Journal of Pediatric Psychology 2008; 33 (4): 339-348.
Chrisman A, Egger H, Compton SN, Curry J, Goldston DB. Assessment of childhood depression. Child and Adolescent Mental Health 2006; 11(2): 111-116.
Clark MS, Jansen KL, Cloy JA. Treatment of childhood and adolescent depression. American Family Physician 2012; 85(5): 442-448.
Duckworth K, Gruttadaro D, Markay D. A Family Guide: What Families Need to Know About Adolescent Depression, second edition. National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, 2010.
Dunn V, Goodyer IM. Longitudinal investigation into childhood- and adolescence-onset depression: psychiatric outcome in early adulthood. British Journal of Psychiatry 2006; 188: 216-222.
Gladstone TRG, Beardslee WR, O'Connor EE. The prevention of adolescent depression. Psychiatric Clinics of North America 2011 March; 34(1): 35-52.
Stewart ME, Barnard L, Pearson J, Hasan R, O'Brien G. Presentation of depression in autism and Asperger syndrome. Autism 2006 January; 10(1); 103-116.
University of California, San Francisco. "Exposure to toxic chemicals threatening human reproduction and health." Science News Oct. 2015.
Wieting JM. Cause and effect in childhood obesity: solutions for a national epidemic. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2008; 108(10): 545-552.