Patient Comments: Depression - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your depression?

Published: May 28

What has helped me tremendously was getting help with a psychiatrist and psychologist. The medication I received (trazodone and Wellbutrin) helped in small doses, but most of my depression was due to insecurities. Talking with a professional helped to give me affirmation, which I could use on a daily basis if need be to get me through one day, because it gave me positive thoughts and from that it gave me good energy. The attitude may take a little more time, but for now, I beleive there will always be room for improvement.

Comment from: Puppymama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I focus on not letting myself go "there.” It's not that easy, I know, but I do encourage people to remember that it does loosen its grip. Eat well, fruits especially, move around, when you can and stay up when you finally get there. Don't LET it suck you under. After an entire life of depression they still called it Manic Depression back when I was diagnosed. I still get tired sometimes and I just SLEEP. I work hard otherwise, another good remedy. A sense of worth is essential. I'm glad I didn't act out on my suicidal thoughts and, at 41, I'm so glad I stayed!

Comment from: MAXINE1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Seroquel has helped a lot also Xanax, Wellbutrin, and a sleeping aid tempazam, but still goes on in different degrees. Seroquel is expensive and I try to cut it as much as I can. I also take generic Prozac. It never really goes away. I have ups and downs. I guess the medicine helps.

Comment from: ET, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

No antidepressants have had a positive effect for me. Anti-anxiety medications actually cause me to have increased anxiety. The only drug that I have taken on a regular basis that has helped with both stabilizing anxiety and depression, decreased the need for the use of Valium, and has helped with problems with sleep is Topamax. I have tried most SSRI anti-depressants, medications for bipolar disorders and am currently discontinuing Risperdal because it is similar to Ritalin with many more negative side effects. My diagnosis is PTSD, ADHD, and Major Depression.

Published: July 28

My psych doctor and I are still trying to figure out the right combination. So far, I am on Lamictal 250 mg and Geodon 160 mg for mood stabilization (which really works), alprazolam 0.5 mg twice daily as needed for anxiety, Concerta 72 mg for ADD, as well as Ambien CR and temazepam for sleep disturbance. We are still trying to find a good antidepressant. We were trying Pristiq but I discovered my insurance company does not cover it, so we are back to the drawing board. We are also trying to find a generic for Lamictal because it is very expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Published: July 24

I have dysthymia and major depression and have tried everything from antidepressants to ECT's and going off all medication. I believe that patience and faith in the psychiatrist and therapists that work with you are so important. My depression was diagnosed by my regular doctor. It took some time to find the right professionals in the field of psychiatry to work with me, but now with the right combination of medication, therapy, and communication between the doctor, therapist and me, I am doing much better.

Depression - Therapy Question: Do you currently undergo therapy? Describe your experience.
Depression - Symptoms in Teens Question: What are the symptoms of your teenager's depression?