Patient Comments: Depression - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your depression?

Comment from: cookie61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I lost my husband very suddenly three years ago. I went into major depression. I was given amitripylin, which I think worked well after 18 months. However, I went off of it then without my doctor knowing. Big mistake. I feel worse than ever.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I have found that for me the best treatment for depression revolves around aerobic exercise, cycling being the best. In winter months I try to walk and to overcome the affects seasonal affective disorder. I will use a tanning bed two or three time a week if possible. If I start getting to that point where I start having any thoughts of suicide I seek anti-depressant therapy from my family physician.

Comment from: Nani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

For my depression, I was given the maximum dose of Effexor XR and began to partake in therapy. I stopped taking my antidepressants once I finished my therapy (which should never be done without your doctor), although in my case, I never needed to return to medication. It did help me resist depression and suicide.

Comment from: ashley- the new me, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been depressed for a long time. I'm only 19 years old and I don't even want to get out of bed half the time. It has gotten so bad in the past couple of months that I've tried to commit suicide more than once. But after reading your comments on how you deal with your depression I am confident that I can get help and live my life again thank you all so much your comments really helped.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have major depression and severe recurrent PTSD. My doctor has put me on Effexor XR Seroquel Ativan and Ambien CR. They all seem to help fine although I have gained weight because of the seroquel. My flashbacks and depression has decreased greatly.

Published: July 17

I was in a coma 6 years ago and almost died. I was an alcoholic and used drugs. I had a great job and I can't work anymore. I stay home every day, and have not much to do. I feel useless. I can't even take any medications because of my liver. I just feel alone!

Published: June 17

I waited until I was totally burned out in my job and then just "lost it." What has helped me the most is a good counselor who MAKES me face the truth, do what I need to for myself, and stay as active as possible to fight the loss of serotonin. I would warn others to watch for signs of burn out and catch it before it's too late.

Published: May 28

What has helped me tremendously was getting help with a psychiatrist and psychologist. The medication I received (trazodone and Wellbutrin) helped in small doses, but most of my depression was due to insecurities. Talking with a professional helped to give me affirmation, which I could use on a daily basis if need be to get me through one day, because it gave me positive thoughts and from that it gave me good energy. The attitude may take a little more time, but for now, I beleive there will always be room for improvement.

Depression - Therapy Question: Do you currently undergo therapy? Describe your experience.
Depression - Symptoms in Teens Question: What are the symptoms of your teenager's depression?