Patient Comments: Depression - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your depression?

Comment from: British expat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I am a 54-year-old female who has suffered with depression all my life. I have only really found Prozac to be effective. In fact, I would say it saved my life. I also take Abilify in conjunction with Prozac and have regular therapy with a wonderful psychotherapist. For me, it is there all the time and comes and goes to varying degrees. Menopause did not help! Get help: The modern drugs are good. There's no need to suffer. It is not a weakness to have depression. It often affects "strong" characters. So get diagnosed, and get your life back!

Comment from: DariusRK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I am a 45 year old male and have been depressed most of my life. I have had great success with Paxil, which I was on for over 10 years and Zoloft which I took for more than 11 years. Recently the Zoloft stopped working and am being taken off the Zoloft very slowly. You should never stop taking any antidepressant unless your provider instructs you on how to do it. I am now taking Wellbutrin. I have only been on it for a few weeks, so right now I'm not sure if it'll work or not but, I do feel better than I did when the Zoloft quit working. One great thing about these new depression drugs are that there are so many that may help. So, if one doesn't work, try something else! Good luck!

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I have found that for me the best treatment for depression revolves around aerobic exercise, cycling being the best. In winter months I try to walk and to overcome the affects seasonal affective disorder. I will use a tanning bed two or three time a week if possible. If I start getting to that point where I start having any thoughts of suicide I seek anti-depressant therapy from my family physician.

Comment from: Nani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

For my depression, I was given the maximum dose of Effexor XR and began to partake in therapy. I stopped taking my antidepressants once I finished my therapy (which should never be done without your doctor), although in my case, I never needed to return to medication. It did help me resist depression and suicide.

Comment from: ashley- the new me, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been depressed for a long time. I'm only 19 years old and I don't even want to get out of bed half the time. It has gotten so bad in the past couple of months that I've tried to commit suicide more than once. But after reading your comments on how you deal with your depression I am confident that I can get help and live my life again thank you all so much your comments really helped.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have major depression and severe recurrent PTSD. My doctor has put me on Effexor XR Seroquel Ativan and Ambien CR. They all seem to help fine although I have gained weight because of the seroquel. My flashbacks and depression has decreased greatly.

Published: July 17

I was in a coma 6 years ago and almost died. I was an alcoholic and used drugs. I had a great job and I can't work anymore. I stay home every day, and have not much to do. I feel useless. I can't even take any medications because of my liver. I just feel alone!

Published: June 17

I waited until I was totally burned out in my job and then just "lost it." What has helped me the most is a good counselor who MAKES me face the truth, do what I need to for myself, and stay as active as possible to fight the loss of serotonin. I would warn others to watch for signs of burn out and catch it before it's too late.

Depression - Therapy Question: Do you currently undergo therapy? Describe your experience.
Depression - Symptoms in Teens Question: What are the symptoms of your teenager's depression?