Patient Comments: Depression - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your depression?

Comment from: bubbly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My doctor took me off of a 5 mg of Xanax once a day for depression, to 50 mg of Trazodone. It was the worst. I slept for 36 hours and woke up with bags under my eyes. Don"t take it!

Comment from: Tess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Those of you with teenagers that are having issues with depression/”the blues", please get them to a doctor for a diagnosis. One little pill can make a big difference in their lives! Depression hit me in my 20s and also my son. We both are on medications and thrive much better in our lives now. I currently work 2 jobs and love my life!

Comment from: lej2012, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I recently read a book that helped me a lot with my depression. I think the main point of it was really helpful. That the sufferer should first and foremost seek help and then take an active approach to make sure that they are healing along with finding a partner to help them on their journey. Also, it kind of opened my eyes to the different foods that can really worsen people's depression because of the different chemicals in the foods and how they can affect you. It teaches you a lot about the natural methods to get you through your depression. I know it doesn't seem like it but what I've discovered is that the little things all add up and can have a big impact on the way you feel.

Comment from: cookie61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I lost my husband very suddenly three years ago. I went into major depression. I was given amitripylin, which I think worked well after 18 months. However, I went off of it then without my doctor knowing. Big mistake. I feel worse than ever.

Comment from: dil, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have been on duloxetine now for about a year and I have been a lot better on this than venlafaxine. I also take Seroquel at night to help me sleep better. I still feel tired all the time, but I don't feel so depressed.

Comment from: Fern, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I'm a 48-year-old female, suffering from depression and anxiety for more than 20 years. I have tried Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Depakote, Xanax, Klonopin, Wellbutrin, Lexapro -- hmmm -- think I covered it all. Oh, I also take Ritalin because I read that it can help -- and it does (sometimes). My problem is that stuff stops working after two years. I'm currently retrying Prozac and am thinking of also taking a mood stabilizer. I'm not manic in the sense that I have highs, but I'm either normal or very depressed. As you all know, it's a hard life. I sleep a lot, and I have trouble wanting to do anything. It's as if I have no energy. I have been in therapy for years with a wonderful person and have a new psychiatrist. The frustrating thing is that no one can really say what's going to work. I hope that in the near future they'll be able to do blood work and figure out the right cocktail.

Comment from: tps154, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I was depressed all throughout high school, beginning really in eighth grade. After a rough few years, capped off by a season-ending injury in football, my mom was concerned about me and decided it was time to try a medication. I was started on Prozac 10 mg, which was then upped to 20 mg after three months. It seemed to be just what I needed; I basically cared less about, well, everything. Nothing would faze me; I was a walking zombie. At the time, maybe it is what I needed. However, I did not want to live my life with no emotion. I didn't cry the entire time on Prozac. When I decided to stop taking it (without doctor approval – I should not have done), I cried hysterically about anything and everything. I needed emotion back in my life, and it felt good to care about family, friends, and life in general. The thing I want to stress most about the medicine is that the depression never really went away, for me at least. The thoughts of accepting death, the worthlessness, the fear, the pain ... it all remained. I just simply didn't care about it. I was a zombie. I would rather live life feeling the emotions, good and bad, than floating through it with no feelings. I do not regret taking it; however, I probably did need it at the time. Just make sure you know what you're getting into when you do decide to try a medication.

Depression - Therapy Question: Do you currently undergo therapy? Describe your experience.
Depression - Symptoms in Teens Question: What are the symptoms of your teenager's depression?