Patient Comments: Depression - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your depression?

Comment from: Tess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Those of you with teenagers that are having issues with depression/”the blues", please get them to a doctor for a diagnosis. One little pill can make a big difference in their lives! Depression hit me in my 20s and also my son. We both are on medications and thrive much better in our lives now. I currently work 2 jobs and love my life!

Comment from: HappyCat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I've struggled with depression since my late teens and at 38 have finally begun to feel really good. I've tries a lot of different meds but for me, a low dose of the new drug, Cymbalta, works for me. I have combined this with daily walking of at least 1 mile and regular games of basketball, volleyball, or football tossing with my son. I was the most sedentary woman on the planet for a long time and it just made my depression worse, not to mention the fact that I gained a lot of weight. I used to hate the people that said, "Exercise! Exercise! You'll feel gooood." LOL, now I have become one of them because it's true. My 11 year old son is my best motivator because he loves the new me and makes me go with him every single day to do some type of activity. Fortunately we just moved to a great new house beside a large city park and both the move and the proximity to the park have to change me dramatically for the better. All I can say in closing is find a really good doctor and be honest with him/her. I adore my doc and he's a PA but better than any MD I've ever seen. I trust him and feel very "safe" discussing anything with him. Take your meds regularly and don't be afraid or intimidated by doctors. They're just guys who do all the same things we do, albeit wealthier most times, but if you find the right one you'll know it. I hope this helps someone. Don't give up. I've finally found the sunshine after so many years of dark clouds and tears. If I can pull out of it, anyone can.

Comment from: dil, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have been on duloxetine now for about a year and I have been a lot better on this than venlafaxine. I also take Seroquel at night to help me sleep better. I still feel tired all the time, but I don't feel so depressed.

Comment from: Fern, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I'm a 48-year-old female, suffering from depression and anxiety for more than 20 years. I have tried Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Depakote, Xanax, Klonopin, Wellbutrin, Lexapro -- hmmm -- think I covered it all. Oh, I also take Ritalin because I read that it can help -- and it does (sometimes). My problem is that stuff stops working after two years. I'm currently retrying Prozac and am thinking of also taking a mood stabilizer. I'm not manic in the sense that I have highs, but I'm either normal or very depressed. As you all know, it's a hard life. I sleep a lot, and I have trouble wanting to do anything. It's as if I have no energy. I have been in therapy for years with a wonderful person and have a new psychiatrist. The frustrating thing is that no one can really say what's going to work. I hope that in the near future they'll be able to do blood work and figure out the right cocktail.

Comment from: tps154, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I was depressed all throughout high school, beginning really in eighth grade. After a rough few years, capped off by a season-ending injury in football, my mom was concerned about me and decided it was time to try a medication. I was started on Prozac 10 mg, which was then upped to 20 mg after three months. It seemed to be just what I needed; I basically cared less about, well, everything. Nothing would faze me; I was a walking zombie. At the time, maybe it is what I needed. However, I did not want to live my life with no emotion. I didn't cry the entire time on Prozac. When I decided to stop taking it (without doctor approval – I should not have done), I cried hysterically about anything and everything. I needed emotion back in my life, and it felt good to care about family, friends, and life in general. The thing I want to stress most about the medicine is that the depression never really went away, for me at least. The thoughts of accepting death, the worthlessness, the fear, the pain ... it all remained. I just simply didn't care about it. I was a zombie. I would rather live life feeling the emotions, good and bad, than floating through it with no feelings. I do not regret taking it; however, I probably did need it at the time. Just make sure you know what you're getting into when you do decide to try a medication.

Comment from: British expat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I am a 54-year-old female who has suffered with depression all my life. I have only really found Prozac to be effective. In fact, I would say it saved my life. I also take Abilify in conjunction with Prozac and have regular therapy with a wonderful psychotherapist. For me, it is there all the time and comes and goes to varying degrees. Menopause did not help! Get help: The modern drugs are good. There's no need to suffer. It is not a weakness to have depression. It often affects "strong" characters. So get diagnosed, and get your life back!

Depression - Therapy Question: Do you currently undergo therapy? Describe your experience.
Depression - Symptoms in Teens Question: What are the symptoms of your teenager's depression?