Patient Comments: Depression - Symptoms in Teens

What are the symptoms of your teenager's depression?

Comment from: florina, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

My daughter is 15 started 10th grade, she was a brilliant student in the school always got 90% to 95% marks was good in all activities school and church pet of all the teachers, and a regular altarserver scored 100% for catechism classes. Always loved books and loved school. Since last final exam of 9th grade, she suddenly came home and started crying and started telling that she doesn't feel like studying and doesn't want to study at all. I made her understand and told just to do whatever she can she answered the paper and she passed. On the 27th my daughters school started and on the first day she came crying home and now she is that she doesn't want to study and doesn't want to go to school at all, my wife spoke to her friends and teachers if any problem in the school but no problem with anybody and they told that she also doesn't have a boyfriend.

Comment from: Concerned Mom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 02

My 17-year old daughter seems preoccupied and withdrawn. How can I tell if it's just "the blues" or depression?

Comment from: Joy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I feel sad and rejected and I can't concentrate in my studies. I find faults in all the people around me and I feel lonely and alone. I blame people around me for my sadness; I soak my pillow with tears. I leave my school for home and miss my lectures. I look moody all days and I don't answer my phone calls and avoid friends.

Comment from: Sugaldy1000, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

Depression for me is stagnating. Routine activities such as eating, concentrating, cleaning, and showering are daily stressors that demand my mental capacity. I have been dealing with depression for as long as I could remember, and being sad is all I know. I used to think that it was a normal part of life. Learning about depression helped me realize that even though I have a good life, I have missed out on a lot in my lifetime.

Comment from: Confused Mom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 28

My daughter seems sad and withdrawn. I don't know if it's depression or just the blues. How can I know?

Depression - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your depression?
Depression - Therapy Question: Do you currently undergo therapy? Describe your experience.