Patient Comments: Dental Crowns - Pain

Did you experience pain after getting a dental crown?

Comment from: NoMoDentist, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Temporary crown was better than the permanent. I had permanent crown put on yesterday. It hurt the whole time it was being fitted. I feel like I have been hit in the mouth today. I was told that it could be sensitive for a while. Next time, I am finding a dentist who will pull out the tooth. The pain is ridiculous.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have had 9 crowns put on my teeth over the years by 3 different dentists. The first 5 were put on by the same dentist. There have been no problems with them. The oldest were put on 37 years ago. I have had 2 root canals in the last 10 years. The root canals were successful, but when the dentist put the crown on, she broke the root and I lost both of those teeth. My newest ones were put on normal teeth with no root canal, 8 months ago. One is still fine and the other one, which was milled in the dentist office just fell off last month. She glued it back on and last night it fell off again. Today she made a new cap and I just hope it stays. I only had pain after getting a dental crown when the crown fit incorrectly or when the dentist damaged the root installing the crown. My feeling is that the success of the root canal and/or cap depends on the skill of the dentist.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

All of my molars had large fillings done as a child before sealing molars existed. In my 50s the sides of the teeth began chipping and breaking. Took about two years and now all my molars have crowns. Worst decision of my life. All have had root canals through the crowns. I have scaling done at the gum line every 3 months and that just keeps the throbbing down to an ache. I take Motrin daily with my vitamins and can't wait to get dentures! I wore braces as a kid with the night neck brace and nothing has hurt more than these very expensive crowns. I don't even like their look at the gum line. They look fake to me.

Comment from: Cay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had a cracked tooth and had a crown. I have been in constant pain for three months. Adjusted and adjusted but I still have pain. Two teeth in front of the crown hurt now. What do I do! I don't want a root canal on 3 teeth. I can't take prescription pain pills (create stomach issues). I take ibuprofen daily. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment from: Jennifer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

My dentist decided I need crowns on each of my bottom teeth. This plan was executed in three section, spanning a period of time, from June to November. I have been in intense pain since the day of drilling until today in December. He has made adjustments, and the rough pieces are finally off the crowns. The pain is between my crowns, which gather an excess of food creating immediate stabbing pain. Even when dining out, I brush my teeth and floss immediately, but the pain remains. During the day the pain begins mid-morning and affects my gums and jaw line. My crowns are high on one side and because the fit is bad I am constantly, sometimes subconsciously, trying to find the connection where my teeth can meet and relax. Instead I am all over the place trying to find a fit and there isn't one. Vicodin does not begin to touch the pain.

Comment from: Marcia S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had two root canals done in the upper tooth and it's never right. With the first one the pain never totally left me. I had another one done and it's the same, or worse, now I have a big hole on the inside of my gum and everything gets stuck there. I'm considering extracting it.

Comment from: mehmz1018, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am suffering from pain because my crowned teeth aches, when I gargle with warm water it gets better, but the pain goes on intermittently/periodically. I took an anti-inflammatory drug but there's no effect.

Dental Crowns - Cost Question: How much did your dental crown cost? Did your insurance cover it?
Dental Crowns - During Pregnancy Question: Did you need a dental crown while you were pregnant?
Dental Crowns - Material Question: What material is your dental crown made from?