Patient Comments: Dental Crowns - Pain

Did you experience pain after getting a dental crown?

Comment from: sharo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I just had a crown put on last Thursday May 17th. It hurt the first day and after taking Motrin the pain gets better. When the Motrin wears off the pain will return. It is sensitive to the air conditioning (cold). At night when I lie down there is some pressure. It seems to get better with Motrin which takes out the inflammation. Today is May 26th and the crown is still having some intermittent pain. When I went into the office to get fitted for my partial the dentist noticed there was some sealer or glue on the base near the gum so he scaled it off. The tooth hurt after he did that. The tooth had a temporary for six months and never hurt before until the new crown was put on. Hopefully it will settle down because the tooth never needed a root canal.

Comment from: rush, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I recently got a crown on a back molar that never had pain until getting a crown! I hope he didn"t hit a nerve because then I will need a root canal.

Comment from: mrb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had two front teeth crowns put in when I was 16 now nearly 7 years later there causing me pain.

Comment from: Richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

Yes! The pain was very mild and very intermittent. The dentist 'ground it down' in the summer, but there was not much relief. I had the crown done last March, and it just fell out Sunday, 3/13/11. Apparently I must have swallowed it and did not notice it until after supper. I suppose I will have to "pay for a new crown.' although I don't think that is fair.

Comment from: grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had 15 porcelain crowns put on my front teeth. Whenever I eat something cold or hot they ache for an hour or so. It has been almost a month and they still ache.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

No pain whatsoever from the dental crown. Normally when I have any 'major' dental work I at least have sore gums. I had a different dentist (at the same office I have used for years) and he has a really gentle technique. I experienced no pain after the numbness wore off, no tenderness the day after, no sensitivity to hot or cold.

Comment from: tami S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I got a temp crown and I had a bad headache and jaw pain on the whole bottom of my gums. After 2 weeks taking Motrin 800 and Valium, it went away. When I went in for the permanent Crown, right before he put in the perm crown, he dabbed something on there that brought my nerve alive. He said it was just water. I have been in pain for 8 days. It feels like it is too big and is pushing the rest of my teeth out. He also had to fix it because it was too tight. I can get dental floss between them.

Comment from: neatrepeat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Yes when the Novocain wore off I had pain. My entire cheek hurt, and I had an intermittent shooting pain for several days following the procedure for temporary cap. The procedure was long - 2 1/2 hours - and while I did not feel pain during the procedure, I felt it for days afterwards.

Comment from: gina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had a dental crown about seven years ago that took two years to stop hurting when chewed on. Beware of what you are told. I am going in for a $650 half replacement after a refrigerated granola bar incident ... very unwise! Even worse it is the same dentist. Do your homework, talk to others before making decisions.

Dental Crowns - Cost Question: How much did your dental crown cost? Did your insurance cover it?
Dental Crowns - During Pregnancy Question: Did you need a dental crown while you were pregnant?
Dental Crowns - Material Question: What material is your dental crown made from?