Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: RafflesPatient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

At first, I got fever, then I did not have appetite and always wanted to be in bed. I took paracetamol for my fever for almost 5 days without knowing it was not a normal flu and experienced pain at the back of my eyes but I did not have rashes and bleeding. On the 6th day when I went to the clinic and checked my platelets and the count was 27, they advised me to go and admit myself to the hospital. I felt some dizziness but I still could walk and still did not have any rashes or bleeding. When I arrived at the hospital, they check my platelets again it had dropped to 16 and they confirmed that I got dengue. The attending doctor told me that my platelets should go up else they need to do transfusion. In the hospital they just gave me IV fluids (NaCl-sodium chloride) to rehydrate. On the 7th day I started gaining my appetite and my platelets started to go up to 21, then 33 on the 8th day, and on the 9th day it was up to 89. So I was discharged and went home to rest and eat healthy foods and drink more fluids. On my follow up checkup (13th day after having flu), I got to do my blood test again and got 494 platelets count but that exceeded the normal count of 120 to 450. It was explained to me that it was due to my liver function test result were still higher than normal range, but it will be okay in the following days. I just need to drink a lot of fluids, eat more fruits and healthy foods. My advice is that if you got fever and do not have any cough or colds, even if there are no rashes, if you can do a blood test, please do so. You can detect the virus earlier and you can get advice on what to do and eat to make a faster recovery.

Comment from: abdi, Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

With dengue fever, I had vomiting and pain behind the eyes. Vomiting contributed to more pain behind my eyes because of the straining I did when vomiting, and after a week or so blood accumulated in the lower part of my eyes. I had high fever. When I urinated, it burned. I had pain all over my body, actually felt so weak.

Comment from: Nick0, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 18

Dengue is life changing. I live in Bali so I knew what I had with the onset of symptoms which were as follows: extreme chills and a very high fever. After 12 hours, I went to the clinic for an NS1 Ag Elisa test (positive), then spent the next 4 days rotating between bed and the clinic for daily test to monitor platelet count which never dropped below 100K. Rash occurred on day 4 and lasted after fever broke, as did tiredness and funnily enough, depression! I was offered saline and glucose IV which I accepted and that made me feel a lot better. Dengue causes plasma leakage so you need to hydrate which can be hard (it's the dehydration that makes you feel awful).

Comment from: Godsgrace, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I suffered from this horrible illness. At first I thought I just had headaches but when I woke up at 4am with fever I knew something was wrong. The fever, headaches and the worst feeling ever lasted for about 4 days then the fever left, My platelet count was very low almost critical. I drank the juice of pawpaw leaves which is not quite any official medicine, but it is known that this can contribute to increasing white blood cells and platelet count. Also my body itched terribly and now I am in recovery mode. I have horrible dizzy spells and occasionally headaches. During the virus itself you have terrible back and eye pains but it eases up after a while. I don't wish this on my worst enemy.

Comment from: Woztj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I just recently had dengue fever; I had high fever, excruciating pain behind the eyes and felt like had 2 broken legs and felt awful. I was hospitalized for 5 days, platelets went down to 48,000 and I had the swollen red hands and feet etc., seems like it can be worse for many. Now I am out of hospital but still struggling with intermittent fatigue, after reading some posts wish I had known about the papaya leaf use. I am still going to get some and try as I do not want to be fatigued on and off for weeks etc. I am surprised how long some people have said they suffered for, this worries me. In total it has been 2 weeks for me and I am back going to the gym etc., but is a real struggle, I feel weak and lethargic so much, I have to keep fighting it, but some days are tough!

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?