Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Julzamor, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

March of 2016 I started to experience a very fast heart beat and started to feel my blood pressure rise. I knew something was wrong so my boyfriend rushed me to the emergency room. They never told me how low my potassium was, just that I needed IV. I never had diarrhea or vomiting I was literally fine one minute and close to death the next. They guessed it was due to the diet pills I was using. July 2016 I woke up to my heart pounding but a few days before I remember my legs and arms just feeling locked up and hard to move. I chalked it up to tension because I had been stressed. I told them to check my levels and my potassium was 3.1; to most that doesn't seem very low but for my body it is, I just feel it. He gave me a supplement at the hospital and sent me home and told me to eat more bananas and drink orange juice. They didn't give me an answer as to why I had it, because I don't use diuretics, haven't had diarrhea or vomited, and I eat. They only thing I can figure is a week before I went to the emergency room with sore legs but had a potassium at 3.6. That doctor put me on 2 bags of saline and I think it washed it all out of me because I was swollen for 3 days them started to draw up. Be careful if the hospital wants to give you saline, it depletes potassium levels. Three days later legs are still sore but better. I am waiting to hear back from my doctor with lab tests to make sure it went back up!

Comment from: Ash87, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

It is not a remedy but I've found that eating cooked pasta, plain without anything on it other than olive oil, is one of the easiest things to eat with strep. Soups and liquids hurt me more as I think they seep into any pus sores that are in the throat. And like my thick saliva, soups can be too thick to go down quickly, whereas pasta in olive oil just slips right down! I added some chopped up wafer thin ham just for a treat! Also green tea with some manuka honey stirred in, nothing beats manuka honey for the healing process of any disease or illness, and is quite soothing if you can get some liquids down into you.

Comment from: LF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

In January of this year, I suffered a pinched nerve in my back. It affected my right leg, which got numb and weak. I sat in my chair for the better part of 3 weeks, for I couldn't straighten my leg. I couldn't even sleep in my bed. I was stuck to my Lazy Boy pretty much for the duration. I decided on chiropractic care to relieve the nerve in my back. It worked, but I was still having problems with my knee. I still couldn't put any weight on it. Two weeks ago this past Monday I was working on a bathroom faucet, on my knees, moving around. Within an hour of this activity, I started to get short of breath. I thought it was a chest cold, so before that night, I took some cough medicine. The next day, I still felt a heaviness in my chest and the shortness of breath was worse, but I waited 2 days before I called anybody. That indecision almost killed me, for when my son came over to take me to the emergency room Thursday night, I was so weak and winded I couldn't leave the house. We called 911 and shortly thereafter found out I had pulmonary embolism in both lungs, about 6 clots in all, but it could have been worse. My medical team is pretty certain, that these clots came from that same right leg that was disabled some 2 months earlier. I've been home for a week, now wearing my medic alert necklace for warfarin, and taking it easy. Please don't procrastinate like I did. I have 5 grandchildren, and a wife of 36 years. They almost lost me because I waited to say anything.

Comment from: Amedeo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a job travel, and got very sick with dengue fever, with fever at 38.5 Celsius, shaking hands, to the point I was unable to write, very bad vision and weakness. In the first visit to a local doctor, I got my platelets count at 50,000. I then stayed in bed for other three days drinking a lot of water and taking acetaminophen. After three days, another blood test indicated platelets at 20,000, which was strange because I felt well, no fever, no pain in any part of my body, no headache, no weakness, no bleeding in gums or red spots in my skin. But conscious of the danger, I was in 6 hours back to my country, directly to the hospital. After 36 hours of the last blood test, I had my platelets at 44000, after 6 hours of hydration, the platelets came to 52,000. They got my liver affected, but I was without pain, and the next day I was at home. After a week, I started to feel weak again, shaking fingers affecting fine hand movements and writing, and toes numbed. I could walk normally, but needed some effort to keep balance when not walking. I felt strange sensation from my knees to the feet when I stayed much time walking, and coffee increased the problems. Some days I feel better, others worse, at this moment I have passed 6 weeks after the fever.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?