Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Dwight, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I fainted while riding my bicycle and fell to the ground (of course). I was diagnosed with low electrolytes (hyponatremia).

Comment from: Kmadsen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Despite using medications to prevent mosquito bite I was covered. Upon returning home from Guatemala, July 2013, I started to feel weak, and had lack of appetite and chills. Over the next week symptoms included itchy palms, fine itchy rash all over, head ache unrelieved by Tylenol, indescribable eyeball pain, and joint pain. My platelets and white count both dropped dramatically. I was not hospitalized but my doctor put me on house arrest. I was so immunosuppressed she worried about a secondary infection.

Comment from: gueritaguerita, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 12

My husband has woken me up the past two nights drenched in sweat. He is diabetic, but this has never happened before. I wonder if it is his medication.

Comment from: RafflesPatient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

At first, I got fever, then I did not have appetite and always wanted to be in bed. I took paracetamol for my fever for almost 5 days without knowing it was not a normal flu and experienced pain at the back of my eyes but I did not have rashes and bleeding. On the 6th day when I went to the clinic and checked my platelets and the count was 27, they advised me to go and admit myself to the hospital. I felt some dizziness but I still could walk and still did not have any rashes or bleeding. When I arrived at the hospital, they check my platelets again it had dropped to 16 and they confirmed that I got dengue. The attending doctor told me that my platelets should go up else they need to do transfusion. In the hospital they just gave me IV fluids (NaCl-sodium chloride) to rehydrate. On the 7th day I started gaining my appetite and my platelets started to go up to 21, then 33 on the 8th day, and on the 9th day it was up to 89. So I was discharged and went home to rest and eat healthy foods and drink more fluids. On my follow up checkup (13th day after having flu), I got to do my blood test again and got 494 platelets count but that exceeded the normal count of 120 to 450. It was explained to me that it was due to my liver function test result were still higher than normal range, but it will be okay in the following days. I just need to drink a lot of fluids, eat more fruits and healthy foods. My advice is that if you got fever and do not have any cough or colds, even if there are no rashes, if you can do a blood test, please do so. You can detect the virus earlier and you can get advice on what to do and eat to make a faster recovery.

Comment from: abdi, Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

With dengue fever, I had vomiting and pain behind the eyes. Vomiting contributed to more pain behind my eyes because of the straining I did when vomiting, and after a week or so blood accumulated in the lower part of my eyes. I had high fever. When I urinated, it burned. I had pain all over my body, actually felt so weak.

Comment from: Jackie, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 27

My jaw bone was weakened because of the necessity of digging out an impacted wisdom tooth. The jaw was weakened and I bit on something hard, the force of which the jaw could not handle and I fractured it.

Comment from: harsh, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Since last evening I have headache and pain behind eyes, slight fever with very mild knee joint pain. I wonder if I should go to the doctor for dengue test. I live in New Delhi where dengue is rapidly spreading.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?