Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: LF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

In January of this year, I suffered a pinched nerve in my back. It affected my right leg, which got numb and weak. I sat in my chair for the better part of 3 weeks, for I couldn't straighten my leg. I couldn't even sleep in my bed. I was stuck to my Lazy Boy pretty much for the duration. I decided on chiropractic care to relieve the nerve in my back. It worked, but I was still having problems with my knee. I still couldn't put any weight on it. Two weeks ago this past Monday I was working on a bathroom faucet, on my knees, moving around. Within an hour of this activity, I started to get short of breath. I thought it was a chest cold, so before that night, I took some cough medicine. The next day, I still felt a heaviness in my chest and the shortness of breath was worse, but I waited 2 days before I called anybody. That indecision almost killed me, for when my son came over to take me to the emergency room Thursday night, I was so weak and winded I couldn't leave the house. We called 911 and shortly thereafter found out I had pulmonary embolism in both lungs, about 6 clots in all, but it could have been worse. My medical team is pretty certain, that these clots came from that same right leg that was disabled some 2 months earlier. I've been home for a week, now wearing my medic alert necklace for warfarin, and taking it easy. Please don't procrastinate like I did. I have 5 grandchildren, and a wife of 36 years. They almost lost me because I waited to say anything.

Comment from: Amedeo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a job travel, and got very sick with dengue fever, with fever at 38.5 Celsius, shaking hands, to the point I was unable to write, very bad vision and weakness. In the first visit to a local doctor, I got my platelets count at 50,000. I then stayed in bed for other three days drinking a lot of water and taking acetaminophen. After three days, another blood test indicated platelets at 20,000, which was strange because I felt well, no fever, no pain in any part of my body, no headache, no weakness, no bleeding in gums or red spots in my skin. But conscious of the danger, I was in 6 hours back to my country, directly to the hospital. After 36 hours of the last blood test, I had my platelets at 44000, after 6 hours of hydration, the platelets came to 52,000. They got my liver affected, but I was without pain, and the next day I was at home. After a week, I started to feel weak again, shaking fingers affecting fine hand movements and writing, and toes numbed. I could walk normally, but needed some effort to keep balance when not walking. I felt strange sensation from my knees to the feet when I stayed much time walking, and coffee increased the problems. Some days I feel better, others worse, at this moment I have passed 6 weeks after the fever.

Comment from: kanchan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I suffered from dengue fever in 2011. It almost killed me. It was severe; at a point I felt I was losing my vision. Within 3 to 4 days my platelet went down to 30,000 but somehow and because of doctor's care and medicine I survived. But it is really painful because I am suffering from memory problems and the most painful thing is that in 2012 I suffered from serious problem of rashes, then in 2013 from chronic nose problem, and in 2014 I suffered from food poisoning. In 2015 I suffered from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and now I am suffering from eczema. I suffered from all these just because of my low immunity and all because of dengue. I used to be good in sports and was a good prize winner athlete but now just because of dengue I am still suffering.

Comment from: Harvey, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I have lived in Bali for 20 years and never had this experience before. I developed what I thought was a bad case of flu. Very high fever (40 plus), vomiting, shaking violently like malaria, pain in the back and limbs, and low blood pressure (120/50). After five days I was very red in the face and chest like sunburn, dizzy when turning my head, and had headache, red palms, coughing and sore throat. I was very lethargic, just wanted to sleep. I have had this dengue for 8 days now. Christmas was ruined, I just hope I can get better for New Year.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?