Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Jonny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I got dengue/hemorrhagic fever in Kanchanaburi, Thailand in February of 2011. I've had dengue fever before, but this one was not so much the muscle body pain. Instead, it was fever, chills, headache, weakness, shaking, loss of appetite, clammy damp skin, dizziness, dark stools and a rash. After four days, the fever went down a bit. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with dengue/hemorrhagic fever and was admitted to the hospital for treatment.

Comment from: Dev, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

Since yesterday I got sudden fever, joints pain, headache, and a little pain in eyes when I move my eyes. I am wondering if these are symptoms of dengue.

Comment from: Errol, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I traveled to Thailand where I was bitten by many mosquitoes but thought nothing of it. Three weeks into holiday, I started having head rushes when standing up and put this down to the very hot weather. Then I developed terrible lower back pain within a few hours of waking up and walking about. A few days into the fourth week and pending return home I started what I thought was mild influenza. A day after returning home, I developed a major headache and chills, sore muscles, joints and pain behind eyes. Dengue Fever was eventually diagnosed and I spent 8 days on drips/antibiotics. I started feeling "better" after 10 days and was discharged.

Comment from: Chandu, 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Fall in the platelet count is the most important symptom. For my son in the 1st report the platelet count is 1.4 lakh where 2 lakh is the minimum. Next day it dropped to 92000 and on the 3rd day 50000.4th day raised up to 72,000 after continues fluids given.

Comment from: Bruce P, 55-64 Male Published: May 29

I was traveling with seven others to Bali/Lombok in April of 2013 when three of us were hit by dengue. I was the "lucky" one with the fewest symptoms – the others had rashes, muscular pains, and vertigo. It was still devastating and debilitating. We all "fell over" on a Thursday and were due to fly back to Australia that Sunday night. We saw doctors in Melbourne on Monday. I was also diagnosed with glandular fever. My white blood cell count and platelets were down; and my liver function was a concern. I'm better now. The bottom line: if you are traveling to high-risk areas, take mosquitoes very seriously. Cover your body and use the right spray or roll-on. Be bloody-minded about it, just as you would be about the food and drink you put in your mouth. As well as ruining your holiday and costing lots, your life is also at risk. At 59, you're never too old to learn.

Comment from: आलोच•, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

With dengue fever, first I encountered slight body pain and unreasonable amount of fatigue which was soon followed by high fever and all I was capable of doing after that was rest. All theoretical symptoms followed in the next day. One positive thing is papaya leaf crush really helped my platelet count during recovery.

Comment from: Healthcare provider, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I lived in South Florida at the time. This has been about 25 years ago. I woke up with pain so severe in my feet I thought I would die. The pain progressed upward in my body and took 72 hours to reach my head. The pain was feeling like my bones were breaking. My eyes turned blood red. I also had nausea and a very high fever. I went to see a doctor who told me I had Dengue fever and should be hospitalized. It took a good two weeks for me to get to feeling better and then several more weeks for me to get back to normal.

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I contracted dengue fever 2 weeks ago in Nassau (Bahamas). It hit me with an intense fever out of the blue. I was fine one minute and hot hot hot and sweaty the next. I had the most intense headache I have ever experienced in my life, and it lasted for 4 days. I could do nothing except stay in bed for 7 days, I could not eat, even water seemed to make me throw up. It was one of the most awful experiences in my life. My white blood count dropped very low and my platelets dropped by about 70,000...although I am back at work I still feel very weak and tired, and I now have a painful rash on my elbows. It's a horrible disease.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?