Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Oliver, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I remember feeling weak and there was a very high fever. I felt chills and the fever was persistent for 3 to 4 days. On the fourth day I did a blood test under the doctor's advice. My platelet count was below 80. It was later confirmed as dengue fever.

Comment from: KC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

More than 2 weeks ago, initially I experienced high fever at night while sleeping. The next day I went to consult a doctor. The blood test was taken and nothing (no dengue fever) was confirmed. I left for home, but vomited twice and had a bad headache in between the eyes. I was in hospital for more than a week, drips, and stomach felt bloated all time. My body temperature rose greatly on the third day. I bled when passing stools on the seventh and eight days and my gums bleed a bit too. I'm Singaporean and got dengue in Indonesia.

Comment from: cunningk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I contacted Dengue in Panama City. The symptoms did not start until 7 days later. I am now into the 8th day of actual pain. It started with pain behind the eyes, neck ache, fever, joint pain, wasted feeling and a small rash on my hands. I have very high fever at night and break out into dripping wet mess that actually makes the pain go away for awhile. I have had the blood test and will go back to the doctor next week to take another blood test. I do not wish this on anybody.

Comment from: zz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Dengue fever seems to be recurrent. I contracted it 3-4 years ago.. they say it is over after a short period, but I have intermittent recurrent eye pain, headache, flu like symptoms, muscular and joint pain. My immunity and energy levels seem to be much lower than before, thus I think it can stay as an underlying pathogen. I'm going to try Chinese medicine. Note take asprin not paracetemol to keep the fever down, as asprin increases the risk of hamorrage (blood thinner)-we were told that at the hospital!

Comment from: melodytt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

This is the 3rd time I've had dengue fever. I live in the Carribbeans. My symptoms started with red eyes, fever, body pains, and a rash. My fever was 104, and I am still trying to recover. I am taking a lot of fluids, but still had to get an IV drip.

Comment from: Lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had Dengue fever this fall along with about 6-8 other co-workers, most of whom live in the same apartment building. My symptoms were among the least severe of the group (I did not have to be hospitalized like several others did) but I still felt like I had been hit by a train. Lower back pain, fever, pain behind the eyes, vomiting, weakness, etc. It lasted about a week and then I felt much better, but still weak. Now, a few months later, I am experiencing a great deal of hair loss, which I have been told is connected to the high fever.

Comment from: htc8p, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

This is my 12th day after getting dengue fever symptoms. It started with pain in the back of my eyes when rolling them. then came the fever and severe headache. Unbearable every night. Then zero appetite. I know that I should be hungry and eat but a few spoonfuls and I could not eat anymore. I also had some vomiting one night. After the 8th day my fever subsided after the 11th day my headache subsided. Now my back feels very tired. And I can't sit up straight towards the end of the day.

Comment from: testeddengue, 65-74 Male Published: February 08

We tested shots for Dengue fever in 1963 in the army. I am surprised it was never perfected after all these years. The only affects were that it lowered my body temp from 98.6 to 97.2. As a result I rarely get a fever. I do have to be careful of infection and try to avoid winter contact.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?