Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Chandu, 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Fall in the platelet count is the most important symptom. For my son in the 1st report the platelet count is 1.4 lakh where 2 lakh is the minimum. Next day it dropped to 92000 and on the 3rd day 50000.4th day raised up to 72,000 after continues fluids given.

Comment from: Bruce P, 55-64 Male Published: May 29

I was traveling with seven others to Bali/Lombok in April of 2013 when three of us were hit by dengue. I was the "lucky" one with the fewest symptoms – the others had rashes, muscular pains, and vertigo. It was still devastating and debilitating. We all "fell over" on a Thursday and were due to fly back to Australia that Sunday night. We saw doctors in Melbourne on Monday. I was also diagnosed with glandular fever. My white blood cell count and platelets were down; and my liver function was a concern. I'm better now. The bottom line: if you are traveling to high-risk areas, take mosquitoes very seriously. Cover your body and use the right spray or roll-on. Be bloody-minded about it, just as you would be about the food and drink you put in your mouth. As well as ruining your holiday and costing lots, your life is also at risk. At 59, you're never too old to learn.

Comment from: आलोच•, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

With dengue fever, first I encountered slight body pain and unreasonable amount of fatigue which was soon followed by high fever and all I was capable of doing after that was rest. All theoretical symptoms followed in the next day. One positive thing is papaya leaf crush really helped my platelet count during recovery.

Comment from: Healthcare provider, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I lived in South Florida at the time. This has been about 25 years ago. I woke up with pain so severe in my feet I thought I would die. The pain progressed upward in my body and took 72 hours to reach my head. The pain was feeling like my bones were breaking. My eyes turned blood red. I also had nausea and a very high fever. I went to see a doctor who told me I had Dengue fever and should be hospitalized. It took a good two weeks for me to get to feeling better and then several more weeks for me to get back to normal.

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I contracted dengue fever 2 weeks ago in Nassau (Bahamas). It hit me with an intense fever out of the blue. I was fine one minute and hot hot hot and sweaty the next. I had the most intense headache I have ever experienced in my life, and it lasted for 4 days. I could do nothing except stay in bed for 7 days, I could not eat, even water seemed to make me throw up. It was one of the most awful experiences in my life. My white blood count dropped very low and my platelets dropped by about 70,000...although I am back at work I still feel very weak and tired, and I now have a painful rash on my elbows. It's a horrible disease.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female Published: June 17

I have seen three doctors in Grenada and am told I have dengue fever. The first seven days, I felt very nauseous and then I started vomiting. I endured a complete loss of appetite and I was very tired. Then the full body rash came, and it had me itching intensely and it like a fireball in my veins. Now, at day, 15 my hands and feet are swollen and still itchy but the rash is less angry. I had the chills but no fever and my muscles ache but nothing too painful. The rash is my worst enemy.

Comment from: Capt. Clyde, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I contracted Dengue fever while I was a Marine in Vietnam in. It was during the monsoon and I could not get evacuated due to the weather so I was sick and wet with high fever and then chills. My team mates were super and got me though it but it was truly miserable. Since that time and over the last 40 years I have experienced severe joint pain in my shoulder, knees, and elbows and treated them with cortisone injections from various doctors. Recent x-rays show a significant increase in arthritis in these and other parts of my body and I am finding out that Dengue fever enhances or promotes these types of ailments.

Comment from: Oliver, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I remember feeling weak and there was a very high fever. I felt chills and the fever was persistent for 3 to 4 days. On the fourth day I did a blood test under the doctor's advice. My platelet count was below 80. It was later confirmed as dengue fever.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?