Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Healthcare provider, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I lived in South Florida at the time. This has been about 25 years ago. I woke up with pain so severe in my feet I thought I would die. The pain progressed upward in my body and took 72 hours to reach my head. The pain was feeling like my bones were breaking. My eyes turned blood red. I also had nausea and a very high fever. I went to see a doctor who told me I had Dengue fever and should be hospitalized. It took a good two weeks for me to get to feeling better and then several more weeks for me to get back to normal.

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I contracted dengue fever 2 weeks ago in Nassau (Bahamas). It hit me with an intense fever out of the blue. I was fine one minute and hot hot hot and sweaty the next. I had the most intense headache I have ever experienced in my life, and it lasted for 4 days. I could do nothing except stay in bed for 7 days, I could not eat, even water seemed to make me throw up. It was one of the most awful experiences in my life. My white blood count dropped very low and my platelets dropped by about 70,000...although I am back at work I still feel very weak and tired, and I now have a painful rash on my elbows. It's a horrible disease.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female Published: June 17

I have seen three doctors in Grenada and am told I have dengue fever. The first seven days, I felt very nauseous and then I started vomiting. I endured a complete loss of appetite and I was very tired. Then the full body rash came, and it had me itching intensely and it like a fireball in my veins. Now, at day, 15 my hands and feet are swollen and still itchy but the rash is less angry. I had the chills but no fever and my muscles ache but nothing too painful. The rash is my worst enemy.

Comment from: Capt. Clyde, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I contracted Dengue fever while I was a Marine in Vietnam in. It was during the monsoon and I could not get evacuated due to the weather so I was sick and wet with high fever and then chills. My team mates were super and got me though it but it was truly miserable. Since that time and over the last 40 years I have experienced severe joint pain in my shoulder, knees, and elbows and treated them with cortisone injections from various doctors. Recent x-rays show a significant increase in arthritis in these and other parts of my body and I am finding out that Dengue fever enhances or promotes these types of ailments.

Comment from: Oliver, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I remember feeling weak and there was a very high fever. I felt chills and the fever was persistent for 3 to 4 days. On the fourth day I did a blood test under the doctor's advice. My platelet count was below 80. It was later confirmed as dengue fever.

Comment from: KC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

More than 2 weeks ago, initially I experienced high fever at night while sleeping. The next day I went to consult a doctor. The blood test was taken and nothing (no dengue fever) was confirmed. I left for home, but vomited twice and had a bad headache in between the eyes. I was in hospital for more than a week, drips, and stomach felt bloated all time. My body temperature rose greatly on the third day. I bled when passing stools on the seventh and eight days and my gums bleed a bit too. I'm Singaporean and got dengue in Indonesia.

Comment from: cunningk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I contacted Dengue in Panama City. The symptoms did not start until 7 days later. I am now into the 8th day of actual pain. It started with pain behind the eyes, neck ache, fever, joint pain, wasted feeling and a small rash on my hands. I have very high fever at night and break out into dripping wet mess that actually makes the pain go away for awhile. I have had the blood test and will go back to the doctor next week to take another blood test. I do not wish this on anybody.

Comment from: zz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Dengue fever seems to be recurrent. I contracted it 3-4 years ago.. they say it is over after a short period, but I have intermittent recurrent eye pain, headache, flu like symptoms, muscular and joint pain. My immunity and energy levels seem to be much lower than before, thus I think it can stay as an underlying pathogen. I'm going to try Chinese medicine. Note take asprin not paracetemol to keep the fever down, as asprin increases the risk of hamorrage (blood thinner)-we were told that at the hospital!

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever.
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?