Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Jonny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I got dengue/hemorrhagic fever in Kanchanaburi, Thailand in February of 2011. I've had dengue fever before, but this one was not so much the muscle body pain. Instead, it was fever, chills, headache, weakness, shaking, loss of appetite, clammy damp skin, dizziness, dark stools and a rash. After four days, the fever went down a bit. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with dengue/hemorrhagic fever and was admitted to the hospital for treatment.

Comment from: Me, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I got dengue fever in Thailand in December 2010. It was the most ill I've ever felt in my life. I had constant headaches, and severe flu-like symptoms, but the worst thing was the excruciating pain in my legs, knees, and back. When I tried to stand up, it felt as if someone was stabbing a knife into my knees. I couldn't lie on my back as the pain along my lower spine was so intense. I didn't sleep or eat for nearly a week. I had no energy whatsoever. After about a week to 10 days, I started slowly feeling better, but the knee pain still lingered several weeks afterward.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Female Published: February 11

I live in Barbados and two weeks ago, I contracted dengue. Out of the blue one night, I started a high fever, started shaking and had back pain and pain behind my legs. This went on for hours until I finally fell off to sleep after taking Panadol. The next day, I seemed fine but then the day after that, I started to get extreme body pain. I mean excruciating pain, particularly in my upper back and under my ribcage area. I could not sit, stand, or lie down the pain was so bad. I've never had pain like that in my life, and I delivered two children. The only way to deal with the pain was with Panadol's extra strength. Now, two weeks later, all of that has gone, but now I'm just so exhausted. I try to get up and do a few things around the house but within one hour, I'm crawling back into bed, and I mean crawling. I know they say it can take up to six weeks before you start to feel better, and then there are others who say they're still exhausted after many, many months. I can deal with exhaustion, and I'm trying to build up my body with nutritious food and drink, but that pain I never want to experience again.

Comment from: Errol, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I traveled to Thailand where I was bitten by many mosquitoes but thought nothing of it. Three weeks into holiday, I started having head rushes when standing up and put this down to the very hot weather. Then I developed terrible lower back pain within a few hours of waking up and walking about. A few days into the fourth week and pending return home I started what I thought was mild influenza. A day after returning home, I developed a major headache and chills, sore muscles, joints and pain behind eyes. Dengue Fever was eventually diagnosed and I spent 8 days on drips/antibiotics. I started feeling "better" after 10 days and was discharged.

Comment from: Chandu, 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Fall in the platelet count is the most important symptom. For my son in the 1st report the platelet count is 1.4 lakh where 2 lakh is the minimum. Next day it dropped to 92000 and on the 3rd day 50000.4th day raised up to 72,000 after continues fluids given.

Comment from: Bruce P, 55-64 Male Published: May 29

I was traveling with seven others to Bali/Lombok in April of 2013 when three of us were hit by dengue. I was the "lucky" one with the fewest symptoms – the others had rashes, muscular pains, and vertigo. It was still devastating and debilitating. We all "fell over" on a Thursday and were due to fly back to Australia that Sunday night. We saw doctors in Melbourne on Monday. I was also diagnosed with glandular fever. My white blood cell count and platelets were down; and my liver function was a concern. I'm better now. The bottom line: if you are traveling to high-risk areas, take mosquitoes very seriously. Cover your body and use the right spray or roll-on. Be bloody-minded about it, just as you would be about the food and drink you put in your mouth. As well as ruining your holiday and costing lots, your life is also at risk. At 59, you're never too old to learn.

Comment from: आलोच•, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

With dengue fever, first I encountered slight body pain and unreasonable amount of fatigue which was soon followed by high fever and all I was capable of doing after that was rest. All theoretical symptoms followed in the next day. One positive thing is papaya leaf crush really helped my platelet count during recovery.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever.
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?