Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: harsh, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Since last evening I have headache and pain behind eyes, slight fever with very mild knee joint pain. I wonder if I should go to the doctor for dengue test. I live in New Delhi where dengue is rapidly spreading.

Comment from: rani, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 11

My brother's age is 15. He is suffering with fever for the last 4 days. Just now we know that he had dengue. Now he is admitted in the hospital. We are giving him papaya juice.

Comment from: RAJENDRAN, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I just recovered I guess, from dengue fever. I had 5 days of uneasiness and slight fever but still was able to go to work as usual. Panadol helped to lower down fever but platelet level kept going down three consecutive days, but after taking heavy dose of young papaya leaf extract by pounding or boiled in water, and consuming some concentrated amazon fruit juice, i.e. 4Life's RioVida juice, I feel better and experience slight increase in platelet level on the 6th day. I need to consume plenty of fluid and plenty of rest.

Comment from: Rich, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been going to Thailand over the past 20 years but this time I was unlucky. On 15 Oct 2013 on the way home, I became very ill on the plane and when my general physician sent me to hospital my platelet count had dropped and together with measles like spots all over the body, fever, temperature, malaise, sweating and loss of appetite it was easy to diagnose Dengue fever.

Comment from: deepak, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am having dengue fever and the platelets count was 1 lakh. But I was not admitted in the hospital as I don't have any rash. But I am having severe pain and today in the morning I have given my blood test and now in the night I am having pain in ribs.

Comment from: gay prindle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I was in Bali a month ago for a two month stay. Five days after arriving I spent one night with a terribly high fever and severe headache. I am 70 and the age worried the doctors. But after that initial night I had no more fever or pain but I was hospitalized for eight days as my platelets were down to 70. They let me go when they were back up to 100. I have heard such terrible stories but my back and joints never hurt. I got very red knees and elbows and the rash was slight and barley visible with my freckles. I still get tired and sleep much more than before but I feel I was very lucky. I must mention that six Reiki masters were sending me curative energy.

Comment from: Vacationer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

In 2009, I was bitten by a mosquito at a resort in Cozumel, didn't think much of it. After 7 days, having returned home to the USA, I started feeling ill, like the flu: fever, joint pain, muscle aches, and headache. By the next day, I had very high fever and was delirious. I also experienced intermittent, but frequent, excruciating stabbing pains in my bones. Within a week, I was beginning to vomit blood, and I had blood in my stools. I was admitted to the hospital and underwent hydration therapy and oxygen treatments, because I had trouble breathing and difficulty maintaining oxygenation. I was in the hospital for 6 days, and when I went home, my legs/calves were swollen and very painful; I could not walk without help. It took about six weeks before I started feeling like I would recover and longer than that to feel like my old self. I just got back from Cozumel 3 days ago: I have a rash, a headache, and my throat is sore.

Comment from: Hemant, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I live in Delhi (India). Last year I had dengue fever. It started with fever and fatigue and within three days fever went up to 102 Degree F. on fourth day I had nausea and dysentery. I went to the hospital and diagnosed Dengue fever. My blood platelets went down to 20,000 and hospital advised transfusion of platelets. I was discharge after one week time. During my stay in hospital I was under IV fluid. It took more than 4 weeks to fully recover.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?