Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Vacationer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

In 2009, I was bitten by a mosquito at a resort in Cozumel, didn't think much of it. After 7 days, having returned home to the USA, I started feeling ill, like the flu: fever, joint pain, muscle aches, and headache. By the next day, I had very high fever and was delirious. I also experienced intermittent, but frequent, excruciating stabbing pains in my bones. Within a week, I was beginning to vomit blood, and I had blood in my stools. I was admitted to the hospital and underwent hydration therapy and oxygen treatments, because I had trouble breathing and difficulty maintaining oxygenation. I was in the hospital for 6 days, and when I went home, my legs/calves were swollen and very painful; I could not walk without help. It took about six weeks before I started feeling like I would recover and longer than that to feel like my old self. I just got back from Cozumel 3 days ago: I have a rash, a headache, and my throat is sore.

Comment from: Hemant, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I live in Delhi (India). Last year I had dengue fever. It started with fever and fatigue and within three days fever went up to 102 Degree F. on fourth day I had nausea and dysentery. I went to the hospital and diagnosed Dengue fever. My blood platelets went down to 20,000 and hospital advised transfusion of platelets. I was discharge after one week time. During my stay in hospital I was under IV fluid. It took more than 4 weeks to fully recover.

Comment from: Amvc, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I started feeling the symptoms on Sept. 28. 2011. I don't know where I got infected but living in a tropical area it doesn't take much. My symptoms at first were feelings of being tired and having a fever. Then it started getting worse. I couldn't eat, things tasted differently and any type of movement would make tired and dizzy. It took me 4 days to finally go to the hospital because Ii thought i had the flu andkept taking panadol for the fever. I only managed to get some sleep the first couple of days because by the 5th day the rash had started to manifest. It was HORRIBLE. My whole body red with white dots and the feeling of having many needles inserted had me crying. Right now a week and 5 days later I'm still recovering from the rash. My legs are still red but no longer swollen and the pain has subsided but have noticed my hands have started to hurt. I can barely move them without getting a "shock" of pain. What hurt me the most in my experience was the rash. I don't wish it on anyone.

Comment from: caro, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I am just getting over Dengue after traveling to Thailand. It started with a high fever, aches all over like a flu and a severe headache. The headache was very hard to get rid of and the fever lasted for six straight days. Loss of appetite, low white blood cell count and vomiting for two days. On the seventh day, the fever dropped, and my hands and feet got very itchy - I suspect the start of the rash.

Comment from: Laverne, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 24

My oldest son has dengue fever. I was told that the leaf from the Papaya tree works wonders for this virus. So I got some of the leaves, boiled them and made tea for him. The next day, I met my son sitting up reading the newspaper. The only symptoms he had was slight pain behind the eyes. The day before, I was afraid for my son. He was so sick. The fever he had the previous days went away. My youngest son also had the dengue fever the week before and had I known about the papaya leaf, I would have given it to him because I had to take him back and forth to hospital, as his blood platelets had dropped and he was having fever of 102.8. I read on-line that the papaya leaf is also good for healing malaria.

Comment from: Jonny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I got dengue/hemorrhagic fever in Kanchanaburi, Thailand in February of 2011. I've had dengue fever before, but this one was not so much the muscle body pain. Instead, it was fever, chills, headache, weakness, shaking, loss of appetite, clammy damp skin, dizziness, dark stools and a rash. After four days, the fever went down a bit. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with dengue/hemorrhagic fever and was admitted to the hospital for treatment.

Comment from: Errol, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I traveled to Thailand where I was bitten by many mosquitoes but thought nothing of it. Three weeks into holiday, I started having head rushes when standing up and put this down to the very hot weather. Then I developed terrible lower back pain within a few hours of waking up and walking about. A few days into the fourth week and pending return home I started what I thought was mild influenza. A day after returning home, I developed a major headache and chills, sore muscles, joints and pain behind eyes. Dengue Fever was eventually diagnosed and I spent 8 days on drips/antibiotics. I started feeling "better" after 10 days and was discharged.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?