Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Gk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I got severe headache behind my eyes while i was driving back from a long travel. Next day it started with high fever. Three times I went to the bathroom but it was not diarrhea. To reduce the headache I touched finger on the behind of the tongue to vomit once and took paracetamol 650. But the fever remained 103F. I took a blood test on 3rd day, it was ok with 250,000 platelets but hemoglobin slightly less. The fever came down on 5th day. I took another blood test. Now platelet count was down to 150,000. On 6th day no fever but the blood test said 48,000 platelet. With dengue rapid test positive, I was admitted at hospital. They gave me IV in the overnight. Next day i was feeling well so started taking normal food and no IV. I took 2 spoons of tender papaya leaf juice 3 times daily. The tests were every 6 hours. It was 43,000; 41,000; 52,000 and 72,000. The next day I was discharged as the platelet count was picking up. But on the legs there were red spots on the hair growth and some itching on the hands and feet on day 8. And the red rashes on all the body looks like my color is changed to slightly black! I took levocetirizine 5 mg to get sleep in the night to escape from itching one day. I was feeling tired. On day 11 I took another platelets test which showed 370, 000! So I stopped taking papaya leaf juice. On day 12 the rashes mostly disappeared. But I had some small headache and light joint pains. On day 17, I started going for work. But I felt my feet skin is slightly peeling off. Still on day 20, I'm not feeling well as before!

Comment from: coz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I spent 3 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand. I suspect I was bitten in Thailand as I didn't experience symptoms until returning home. The tingling lips and metallic taste with glandular swelling, headaches and fatigue started first. The temperatures (not severe but chills) and an allover body rash were next. My hands and feet were very sensitive with rash and it pulsated all night. I had diarrhea only occasionally. The symptoms described decreased after 7 days but dizziness, headaches, neck aches and fatigue and thirst continue into now day 13.

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

My partner and I returned from Bali on 29th September 2013 after an 8 day stay. On the 5th night, we returned home from dinner and as I got into bed, I suffered extreme chills. I awoke at 2.30 am with extreme fever and profuse sweating. I also had a killer headache. Next morning, my body felt like I had been hit by a truck!! The fever and chills continued for 2 days, along with the headache and pain behind my eyes. I lost my appetite and never ate for 2 days. I struggled to stay awake. Next morning, I felt lots better and decided to venture out for a walk. It ended with me collapsing (passing out) in a cafe. An Australian nurse was passing and came and checked me out, and thought it was possibly dehydration. I returned to my hotel, and my partner fed me up with electrolytes and fluids, and pain killers for the pain throughout my body. I remained in bed until we flew back to Australia on the Sunday night. I visited my general physician on the Tuesday and after heavy blood testing, I have been diagnosed with dengue fever. I am now undergoing further testing to see which strain it is. I am still in extreme pain right over the body, right into the bones. The tiredness is so extreme that I struggle to stay awake. All I can do is keep up fluids, take pain relief, and many vitamins, and sleep whenever possible.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

It starts with flu like symptoms, headache, pain behind the eyes and aching limbs. Then it progresses to bone breaking pain in the joints especially the hips, and very high fever. Then you feel slightly better for a day or so. And then I had a night where I was ice cold with a fever so high I was delirious. I then thought I was getting better and now have the rash and I am very weak and exhausted.

Comment from: Bix, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 05

My experience occurred in North-west India, in October 2012. In retrospect, my first symptoms were episodes of severe enigmatic pain (9 on a scale of 0 to 10). These would occur in different specific locations, limited to the limbs or shoulders. The episodes were of short duration, perhaps 30 to 90 seconds each. Since no other symptoms appeared, I did not suspect Dengue. This episodic pain continued for, I believe, more than a week. Extreme fatigue followed, with mildly high temperature and diarrhea. The diarrhea continued throughout the entire illness. Feelings of exhaustion and lack of energy, and high temperatures, and intermittent severe headaches kept me in bed for five days. My condition was worsening, and I was admitted to hospital, where the results of my tests for Dengue were positive. During four hospital days while constantly on IV drip, I had fevers as high as 104.5 and a platelet count that went as low as 62,000. While in hospital, the body pains lessened in frequency and then stopped. Recovery is disappointingly slow, characterized by lack of energy, with vertigo when rising at normal speed.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?