Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

My partner and I returned from Bali on 29th September 2013 after an 8 day stay. On the 5th night, we returned home from dinner and as I got into bed, I suffered extreme chills. I awoke at 2.30 am with extreme fever and profuse sweating. I also had a killer headache. Next morning, my body felt like I had been hit by a truck!! The fever and chills continued for 2 days, along with the headache and pain behind my eyes. I lost my appetite and never ate for 2 days. I struggled to stay awake. Next morning, I felt lots better and decided to venture out for a walk. It ended with me collapsing (passing out) in a cafe. An Australian nurse was passing and came and checked me out, and thought it was possibly dehydration. I returned to my hotel, and my partner fed me up with electrolytes and fluids, and pain killers for the pain throughout my body. I remained in bed until we flew back to Australia on the Sunday night. I visited my general physician on the Tuesday and after heavy blood testing, I have been diagnosed with dengue fever. I am now undergoing further testing to see which strain it is. I am still in extreme pain right over the body, right into the bones. The tiredness is so extreme that I struggle to stay awake. All I can do is keep up fluids, take pain relief, and many vitamins, and sleep whenever possible.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

It starts with flu like symptoms, headache, pain behind the eyes and aching limbs. Then it progresses to bone breaking pain in the joints especially the hips, and very high fever. Then you feel slightly better for a day or so. And then I had a night where I was ice cold with a fever so high I was delirious. I then thought I was getting better and now have the rash and I am very weak and exhausted.

Comment from: Bix, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 05

My experience occurred in North-west India, in October 2012. In retrospect, my first symptoms were episodes of severe enigmatic pain (9 on a scale of 0 to 10). These would occur in different specific locations, limited to the limbs or shoulders. The episodes were of short duration, perhaps 30 to 90 seconds each. Since no other symptoms appeared, I did not suspect Dengue. This episodic pain continued for, I believe, more than a week. Extreme fatigue followed, with mildly high temperature and diarrhea. The diarrhea continued throughout the entire illness. Feelings of exhaustion and lack of energy, and high temperatures, and intermittent severe headaches kept me in bed for five days. My condition was worsening, and I was admitted to hospital, where the results of my tests for Dengue were positive. During four hospital days while constantly on IV drip, I had fevers as high as 104.5 and a platelet count that went as low as 62,000. While in hospital, the body pains lessened in frequency and then stopped. Recovery is disappointingly slow, characterized by lack of energy, with vertigo when rising at normal speed.

Comment from: Rich, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been going to Thailand over the past 20 years but this time I was unlucky. On 15 Oct 2013 on the way home, I became very ill on the plane and when my general physician sent me to hospital my platelet count had dropped and together with measles like spots all over the body, fever, temperature, malaise, sweating and loss of appetite it was easy to diagnose Dengue fever.

Comment from: deepak, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am having dengue fever and the platelets count was 1 lakh. But I was not admitted in the hospital as I don't have any rash. But I am having severe pain and today in the morning I have given my blood test and now in the night I am having pain in ribs.

Comment from: gay prindle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I was in Bali a month ago for a two month stay. Five days after arriving I spent one night with a terribly high fever and severe headache. I am 70 and the age worried the doctors. But after that initial night I had no more fever or pain but I was hospitalized for eight days as my platelets were down to 70. They let me go when they were back up to 100. I have heard such terrible stories but my back and joints never hurt. I got very red knees and elbows and the rash was slight and barley visible with my freckles. I still get tired and sleep much more than before but I feel I was very lucky. I must mention that six Reiki masters were sending me curative energy.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?