Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: kanchan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I suffered from dengue fever in 2011. It almost killed me. It was severe; at a point I felt I was losing my vision. Within 3 to 4 days my platelet went down to 30,000 but somehow and because of doctor's care and medicine I survived. But it is really painful because I am suffering from memory problems and the most painful thing is that in 2012 I suffered from serious problem of rashes, then in 2013 from chronic nose problem, and in 2014 I suffered from food poisoning. In 2015 I suffered from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and now I am suffering from eczema. I suffered from all these just because of my low immunity and all because of dengue. I used to be good in sports and was a good prize winner athlete but now just because of dengue I am still suffering.

Comment from: sd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 09

I wonder how long the eye pain and the headache last after recovery from dengue infection.

Comment from: Harvey, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I have lived in Bali for 20 years and never had this experience before. I developed what I thought was a bad case of flu. Very high fever (40 plus), vomiting, shaking violently like malaria, pain in the back and limbs, and low blood pressure (120/50). After five days I was very red in the face and chest like sunburn, dizzy when turning my head, and had headache, red palms, coughing and sore throat. I was very lethargic, just wanted to sleep. I have had this dengue for 8 days now. Christmas was ruined, I just hope I can get better for New Year.

Comment from: Susan, MPH, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

Picaridin is a better choice over DEET. Also lemon eucalyptus and geranium oil at higher concentrations work; all on CDC report. I would never spray anything or even place it on my skin, or apply to clothing, even these less toxic alternatives that are known to work just as well as toxic DEET. I read a study showing that taking live probiotics like Nature's Way Optima, can help decrease symptoms of dengue. Live mixture of probiotics seem to help with any microbial infection in general. I will be taking it every day when I'm in tropical areas! Also spraying for these mosquitos with ULV is found not to be effective since the pregnant females that are about to lay their eggs (they are the ones that bite, not the males) hide under leaves and do not get exposed to the ULV spraying. Remove stagnant water sources, even 1 teaspoon! Also there is a fungi that is now being utilized to kill certain insects, which is working great for termites, biological control that is very specific.

Comment from: Dwight, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I fainted while riding my bicycle and fell to the ground (of course). I was diagnosed with low electrolytes (hyponatremia).

Comment from: Kmadsen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Despite using medications to prevent mosquito bite I was covered. Upon returning home from Guatemala, July 2013, I started to feel weak, and had lack of appetite and chills. Over the next week symptoms included itchy palms, fine itchy rash all over, head ache unrelieved by Tylenol, indescribable eyeball pain, and joint pain. My platelets and white count both dropped dramatically. I was not hospitalized but my doctor put me on house arrest. I was so immunosuppressed she worried about a secondary infection.

Comment from: gueritaguerita, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 12

My husband has woken me up the past two nights drenched in sweat. He is diabetic, but this has never happened before. I wonder if it is his medication.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?