Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Susan, MPH, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

Picaridin is a better choice over DEET. Also lemon eucalyptus and geranium oil at higher concentrations work; all on CDC report. I would never spray anything or even place it on my skin, or apply to clothing, even these less toxic alternatives that are known to work just as well as toxic DEET. I read a study showing that taking live probiotics like Nature's Way Optima, can help decrease symptoms of dengue. Live mixture of probiotics seem to help with any microbial infection in general. I will be taking it every day when I'm in tropical areas! Also spraying for these mosquitos with ULV is found not to be effective since the pregnant females that are about to lay their eggs (they are the ones that bite, not the males) hide under leaves and do not get exposed to the ULV spraying. Remove stagnant water sources, even 1 teaspoon! Also there is a fungi that is now being utilized to kill certain insects, which is working great for termites, biological control that is very specific.

Comment from: sd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 09

I wonder how long the eye pain and the headache last after recovery from dengue infection.

Comment from: Dwight, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I fainted while riding my bicycle and fell to the ground (of course). I was diagnosed with low electrolytes (hyponatremia).

Comment from: Kmadsen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Despite using medications to prevent mosquito bite I was covered. Upon returning home from Guatemala, July 2013, I started to feel weak, and had lack of appetite and chills. Over the next week symptoms included itchy palms, fine itchy rash all over, head ache unrelieved by Tylenol, indescribable eyeball pain, and joint pain. My platelets and white count both dropped dramatically. I was not hospitalized but my doctor put me on house arrest. I was so immunosuppressed she worried about a secondary infection.

Comment from: gueritaguerita, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 12

My husband has woken me up the past two nights drenched in sweat. He is diabetic, but this has never happened before. I wonder if it is his medication.

Comment from: RafflesPatient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

At first, I got fever, then I did not have appetite and always wanted to be in bed. I took paracetamol for my fever for almost 5 days without knowing it was not a normal flu and experienced pain at the back of my eyes but I did not have rashes and bleeding. On the 6th day when I went to the clinic and checked my platelets and the count was 27, they advised me to go and admit myself to the hospital. I felt some dizziness but I still could walk and still did not have any rashes or bleeding. When I arrived at the hospital, they check my platelets again it had dropped to 16 and they confirmed that I got dengue. The attending doctor told me that my platelets should go up else they need to do transfusion. In the hospital they just gave me IV fluids (NaCl-sodium chloride) to rehydrate. On the 7th day I started gaining my appetite and my platelets started to go up to 21, then 33 on the 8th day, and on the 9th day it was up to 89. So I was discharged and went home to rest and eat healthy foods and drink more fluids. On my follow up checkup (13th day after having flu), I got to do my blood test again and got 494 platelets count but that exceeded the normal count of 120 to 450. It was explained to me that it was due to my liver function test result were still higher than normal range, but it will be okay in the following days. I just need to drink a lot of fluids, eat more fruits and healthy foods. My advice is that if you got fever and do not have any cough or colds, even if there are no rashes, if you can do a blood test, please do so. You can detect the virus earlier and you can get advice on what to do and eat to make a faster recovery.

Comment from: abdi, Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

With dengue fever, I had vomiting and pain behind the eyes. Vomiting contributed to more pain behind my eyes because of the straining I did when vomiting, and after a week or so blood accumulated in the lower part of my eyes. I had high fever. When I urinated, it burned. I had pain all over my body, actually felt so weak.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?