Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: harsh, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Since last evening I have headache and pain behind eyes, slight fever with very mild knee joint pain. I wonder if I should go to the doctor for dengue test. I live in New Delhi where dengue is rapidly spreading.

Comment from: rani, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 11

My brother's age is 15. He is suffering with fever for the last 4 days. Just now we know that he had dengue. Now he is admitted in the hospital. We are giving him papaya juice.

Comment from: RAJENDRAN, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I just recovered I guess, from dengue fever. I had 5 days of uneasiness and slight fever but still was able to go to work as usual. Panadol helped to lower down fever but platelet level kept going down three consecutive days, but after taking heavy dose of young papaya leaf extract by pounding or boiled in water, and consuming some concentrated amazon fruit juice, i.e. 4Life's RioVida juice, I feel better and experience slight increase in platelet level on the 6th day. I need to consume plenty of fluid and plenty of rest.

Comment from: Dev, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

Since yesterday I got sudden fever, joints pain, headache, and a little pain in eyes when I move my eyes. I am wondering if these are symptoms of dengue.

Comment from: Aleen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have lived in Costa Rica for five years. About two months ago, I had been feeling weak and tired and then one afternoon became quite nauseated. That evening my temperature spiked to 102.6F and I had a crushing headache. In the morning I went to the doctor who immediately suspected dengue and a blood test confirmed it. Over the next five days, daily blood tests continued to show the low white cell count. But I was extremely lucky because I did not have the terrible fever and pain usually associated with dengue. I was treated three different days for dehydration. The rash appeared only on my shins and only for 4-5 days. The most prevalent symptom was exhaustion and weakness. By the 6th or 7th day I was feeling much better and resumed my normal daily routine.

Comment from: Gk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I got severe headache behind my eyes while i was driving back from a long travel. Next day it started with high fever. Three times I went to the bathroom but it was not diarrhea. To reduce the headache I touched finger on the behind of the tongue to vomit once and took paracetamol 650. But the fever remained 103F. I took a blood test on 3rd day, it was ok with 250,000 platelets but hemoglobin slightly less. The fever came down on 5th day. I took another blood test. Now platelet count was down to 150,000. On 6th day no fever but the blood test said 48,000 platelet. With dengue rapid test positive, I was admitted at hospital. They gave me IV in the overnight. Next day i was feeling well so started taking normal food and no IV. I took 2 spoons of tender papaya leaf juice 3 times daily. The tests were every 6 hours. It was 43,000; 41,000; 52,000 and 72,000. The next day I was discharged as the platelet count was picking up. But on the legs there were red spots on the hair growth and some itching on the hands and feet on day 8. And the red rashes on all the body looks like my color is changed to slightly black! I took levocetirizine 5 mg to get sleep in the night to escape from itching one day. I was feeling tired. On day 11 I took another platelets test which showed 370, 000! So I stopped taking papaya leaf juice. On day 12 the rashes mostly disappeared. But I had some small headache and light joint pains. On day 17, I started going for work. But I felt my feet skin is slightly peeling off. Still on day 20, I'm not feeling well as before!

Comment from: coz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I spent 3 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand. I suspect I was bitten in Thailand as I didn't experience symptoms until returning home. The tingling lips and metallic taste with glandular swelling, headaches and fatigue started first. The temperatures (not severe but chills) and an allover body rash were next. My hands and feet were very sensitive with rash and it pulsated all night. I had diarrhea only occasionally. The symptoms described decreased after 7 days but dizziness, headaches, neck aches and fatigue and thirst continue into now day 13.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?