Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

My partner and I returned from Bali on 29th September 2013 after an 8 day stay. On the 5th night, we returned home from dinner and as I got into bed, I suffered extreme chills. I awoke at 2.30 am with extreme fever and profuse sweating. I also had a killer headache. Next morning, my body felt like I had been hit by a truck!! The fever and chills continued for 2 days, along with the headache and pain behind my eyes. I lost my appetite and never ate for 2 days. I struggled to stay awake. Next morning, I felt lots better and decided to venture out for a walk. It ended with me collapsing (passing out) in a cafe. An Australian nurse was passing and came and checked me out, and thought it was possibly dehydration. I returned to my hotel, and my partner fed me up with electrolytes and fluids, and pain killers for the pain throughout my body. I remained in bed until we flew back to Australia on the Sunday night. I visited my general physician on the Tuesday and after heavy blood testing, I have been diagnosed with dengue fever. I am now undergoing further testing to see which strain it is. I am still in extreme pain right over the body, right into the bones. The tiredness is so extreme that I struggle to stay awake. All I can do is keep up fluids, take pain relief, and many vitamins, and sleep whenever possible.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

It starts with flu like symptoms, headache, pain behind the eyes and aching limbs. Then it progresses to bone breaking pain in the joints especially the hips, and very high fever. Then you feel slightly better for a day or so. And then I had a night where I was ice cold with a fever so high I was delirious. I then thought I was getting better and now have the rash and I am very weak and exhausted.

Comment from: Bix, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 05

My experience occurred in North-west India, in October 2012. In retrospect, my first symptoms were episodes of severe enigmatic pain (9 on a scale of 0 to 10). These would occur in different specific locations, limited to the limbs or shoulders. The episodes were of short duration, perhaps 30 to 90 seconds each. Since no other symptoms appeared, I did not suspect Dengue. This episodic pain continued for, I believe, more than a week. Extreme fatigue followed, with mildly high temperature and diarrhea. The diarrhea continued throughout the entire illness. Feelings of exhaustion and lack of energy, and high temperatures, and intermittent severe headaches kept me in bed for five days. My condition was worsening, and I was admitted to hospital, where the results of my tests for Dengue were positive. During four hospital days while constantly on IV drip, I had fevers as high as 104.5 and a platelet count that went as low as 62,000. While in hospital, the body pains lessened in frequency and then stopped. Recovery is disappointingly slow, characterized by lack of energy, with vertigo when rising at normal speed.

Comment from: A, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I was diagnosed with IBS many years ago. But the gastroenterologist told me that as severe as my symptoms have been, this was not IBS. He did a colonoscopy and sigmoydoscopy and found polyps (removed them) and microscopic colitis. While in Delhi, India I became sick with DHF. I began to have intense pain, especially behind my eyes, and then a fever of about 105 F. I then lost consciousness and went to the hospital. My fever of 105 F lasted for 7 days with intense pain, loss of appetite, red and itchy palms and feet, nausea, and bleeding of the gums. I was given an IV with fluids and paracetamol for 8 days. I could barely lift my own head, and do not have much memory of the first 2 days in the hospital. I had an extremely faint pulse and low blood pressure. Normal platelet count is anywhere between 150,000 and 450,000... I had a platelet count of close to 10,000. My family and the doctors began to speak about a blood transfusion, yet the doctors tried to hold off as long as possible because all my family wanted to do was return to the United States. My liver was enlarged and liver functions were extremely high. After 8 days of hospital care in Delhi, I was discharged and ready to fly back to the US. Recovery time totaled about 6-8 weeks in order to regain strength and for normal LFTs (liver function tests).

Comment from: Rich, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been going to Thailand over the past 20 years but this time I was unlucky. On 15 Oct 2013 on the way home, I became very ill on the plane and when my general physician sent me to hospital my platelet count had dropped and together with measles like spots all over the body, fever, temperature, malaise, sweating and loss of appetite it was easy to diagnose Dengue fever.

Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dengue fever.
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?