Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Comment from: Azura, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am still recovering from dengue. Today is the 9th day (counting from the 1st day I had a sudden high fever). I don"t have rashes but I feel nauseous all the time and my whole body was painful (joint, muscle, back of the eyes and head, a very terrible headache). My platelet was not that low (still above 100) but white blood cell count was at 2.1 and remained around that figure until yesterday (8th day) when it suddenly went up to 5.8. Platelet also went up to 166. I had the worst fever ever. I"m still very lethargic. I can"t eat at all since the 1st day but I did drink lots of Gatorade and coconut water as well as other fruit juices and yogurt drinks. I totally depend on these liquids to fuel me.

Comment from: T, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had dengue fever twice while in the East Sepik, Papua New Guinea. The symptoms were as described in the article but very severe indeed. My symptoms included a dramatic drop in blood pressure, variance in heart beat from normal to very low, which produced periods of light-headedness. The long term effects included weakness and acute tiredness that lasted several months. The ongoing danger of dengue, especially in tropical regions, is the lowering of the immune system thus exposing an individual to other viruses and diseases.

Comment from: Simone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I didn't realize I had dengue fever, so testing and diagnosis was a couple of weeks after I got back from Vanuatu. For a couple of weeks I had terrible headaches, severe sweating and was just aching all over - exhausted. I thought I was going through early menopause and after going to the doctors and having blood tests, that's what the doctor confirmed. But a week later I got a call to say it was dengue fever (the blood test takes longer for that). I never took my temperature so can't relate to that and I never got a rash. I had no stomach or bowel problems either. The sweating and headaches stopped but I have terrible joint pain that is mainly in my hips and feels like it runs down my bones in my legs. I have some back aches as well. It has been nearly 3 months since arriving home from Vanuatu but I still have joint pain and exhaustion from time to time.

Comment from: Johnmc, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 82 years of age and in 1953 I was an RAF physical training instructor stationed at Changi, Singapore. I am not exactly sure what happened but I must have passed out, for the next thing I remember was waking up in bed in my room with piles of blankets on me. When the medical officer came to see me he informed me I had dengue fever. I had a raging fever and looking back, piling blankets on me was totally inappropriate particularly in a tropical climate. To be fair they were probably unaware of ice baths in those days. Now, throughout my life, in spite of my high level of fitness, I have suffered with debilitating fatigue and it is only recently that I have read that CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) can be triggered by dengue fever. Furthermore, I have another health problem; Paget's disease which I am convinced may also have been caused by dengue as there is no other time that I have had such a fever and I believe it is caused by fever.

Comment from: Afsy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently had a severe dengue attack and was in the hospital for about 10 days. It all started with high grade fever, loss of appetite, body pain and severe dizziness. I ignored it as the regular viral fever and sat on it for 3 days. I experienced (4th day) that all of the above symptoms were turning worse and unbearable. The pain, now excruciating, moved to the eye orbit and there were rashes. I couldn't stay upright. So I dragged myself out of bed and went for a blood test. There I was, a victim of the deadly dengue mosquito. But I got the right treatment and now am back to work, though fatigue, pain, light headedness and breathlessness remain a major area of problem. The doctor says, it'll take time to settle. I trust him.

Comment from: Jimmy Romero, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 07

It was suspected that I had a mild case of dengue fever last year after visiting Cozumel. Our resort had squadrons of mosquitos. After being home for about a week I developed the triad. Although never tested, several of my physician friends suspected dengue. It took about 30 days to fully recover. I do believe that we downplay the amount of dengue we see in our emergency rooms - especially the states bordering Mexico. This experience has definitely opened my mind to think about dengue with our patients especially during summer months of vacations to high-risk area.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?