Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My symptoms of dengue started 7 days ago with severe body aches and a dull fever lasting 2 days. On day 3 it went away only to return on day 4 with higher intensity and fever was high with extreme chills, body ache, fatigue (limbs felt like lead) and headache. My platelet count on day 4 was 191000. I started drinking raw papaya leaf extract. On day 5 and 6 the symptoms persisted but did not get worse, although I developed itchiness in hands and feet, nausea and diarrhea. It is now day 7, I am going to get another blood test, but all in all, I feel slightly better. I think it's the papaya leaf.

Comment from: HelloWorld_2015, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

One of my close relatives got fever one fine day with headache, vomiting and chills. He was shown to the doctor, and the doctor said it was some food poisoning and fever. After taking the prescribed medicines also fever and other symptoms persisted. Actually, condition started worsening. We went to the doctor again where seeing the condition they admitted him. Then, dengue test was also done where report showed negative. But still his condition was getting worse. They thought liver damage. Then again a senior doctor asked to redo dengue test after 3 more days, and this time it was positive with very low blood count, confusion in patient, vomiting, and even lungs were affected. He became very serious and doctors were also losing hope. Then we shifted him to another hospital in where he was on ventilator for some 17 days. Finally doctors thought of doing plasma therapy which worked and his condition improved. After that for a few days he was on some vitamins and other food supplements, lots of fluids, including physiotherapy as pain was there. Now, he is absolutely fine. But, it was dangerous hemorrhagic dengue fever from which those doctors helped him survive. Big thanks to them. But in the initial stage it is always suggested to have more and more fluids, how much ever you can take.

Comment from: Sophia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I want to share my post dengue after effects. I contracted dengue at the end of March 2015 and it lasted 9 days with most of the typical symptoms described (blood platelets went down to 55,000, red spots on my lower legs, muscle pain, itching palms and feet, extreme fatigue, and food tasted like metal on day 8 and 9). Once I recovered I had to get a body scrub several times to exfoliate the excessive dry skin on my entire body. The skin flaked constantly. Both of my feet peeled entirely. Now it is the beginning of August and I still feel muscle pain in my legs and near my hips.

Comment from: Johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I contracted dengue fever in Townsville, Queensland. My first symptoms appeared on New Year's Eve 2010; fever, headache behind the eyes, lethargy and malaise, followed a few days later by a rash to the hands and feet. I got my diagnosis a couple of weeks later. For the next year I suffered from brain fog, arthritic pain in my hands and feet, muscle soreness, chronic headaches, chronic lethargy and tiredness, insomnia, and also difficulties finding the right words sometimes. Medical tests revealed nothing of significance. I sought help from alternative practitioners and found slight relief from an anti-inflammatory diet, reducing carbs and sugars from my diet. I also had my amalgam fillings removed to see if that helped. Four years later and my brain fog has improved. I still have chronic fatigue, but this too has moderately improved. I also still get arthritic pains in my limbs, though again this has improved. My cognitive abilities have also improved but they are not the same as before, and I feel my memory is significantly impaired. My symptoms worsen when I have infections, colds or flu vaccinations, etc. It's been a long road to recovery, made more difficult because outwardly I appear normal to my friends and family, but I am still aware that I am not as well physically or cognitively than before I contracted the virus. I have also suffered from low mood, possibly associated with my lack of energy, chronic fatigue and other symptoms. I have heard that cholecystitis is associated with post dengue syndrome, and I had my gall bladder removed last year when gallstone were found in an ultrasound test. Four years on and life is better, but I still live with the legacy of D\dengue fever.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?