Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: wecelli, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

First I felt a bit dizzy when I got dengue. Next day my joints were aching and I had a bit of a headache. Next day fever, chills, aches, worst headache ever! The same for 6 days, then today 1/18/2015, I have less pain, but I am exhausted. I tried papaya leaf juice, 2 tbsp. 3 times a day. I live on the Big Island where we have had an outbreak so no trouble getting the leaves. I really don't think it helped me, but may help others. Best was Motrin and lots of water and sleep. I have been sleeping 10 to 11 hours a night. Use mosquito repellent if dengue is in your area!

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I live in Jamaica and became ill on Christmas Eve. Although I had been feeling tired and a bit out of it, the symptoms set on very quickly. I started feeling shivery and an hour later I was in bed with high fever. I had drenching night sweats for several days and fever was spiking up and down, highest at 39.6 Celsius. I had pain all over but especially in the legs and had a severe headache continuously for several days. I also felt very weak. I was better on Monday and went to work but felt like a train wreck by evening. I woke up next morning covered with rash from neck to ankles (mainly on upper torso, where there had been a minor rash before). I went to the doctor and had blood tests done, which subsequently confirmed dengue. I was on sick leave for another week although not as ill as before, with only low grade fever, but itching was a new problem. I am still feeling tired but gradually recovering. One symptom was that I was extremely thirsty. I drank up to 5 liters of water on my worst days and still felt dehydrated. I took paracetamol and anti-histamine tablets while symptoms were active. The latter was prescribed. I will certainly be more careful about mosquito protection going forward, especially with Zika virus now appearing in the Caribbean. I had chikungunya in 2014.

Comment from: Sam, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I recently moved to Costa Rica. One morning after three weeks of being there I got up and suddenly felt very tired and had to sit down. Within a few hours I was getting chills and was extremely weak. The fever got worse and I had a severe headache, as well aches and pain in my joints. By the third day my fever was even higher and I was confined to my bed unable to focus on any task. I was lucky that my wife suspected that it was dengue and started me on a 'dengue shake' made up of 1 medium fresh papaya leaf, about 10 black grapes, 10 raw almonds, juice of two oranges and a teaspoon of raw honey all blended together and gave me every morning. She also gave me echinacea and a multi vitamin. All this helped and by day five my fever was gone but I still felt weak and I had extreme night sweating, so bad that I would wake up in the middle of the night with my sheets all drenched with sweat; and I mean really wet. On day eight and after the second blood test which showed that my platelets where back up to 120,000 from 76,000 I started to feel much better. I did get itchy feet and hands but luckily no rash. I did also lose a lot of weight.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My symptoms of dengue started 7 days ago with severe body aches and a dull fever lasting 2 days. On day 3 it went away only to return on day 4 with higher intensity and fever was high with extreme chills, body ache, fatigue (limbs felt like lead) and headache. My platelet count on day 4 was 191000. I started drinking raw papaya leaf extract. On day 5 and 6 the symptoms persisted but did not get worse, although I developed itchiness in hands and feet, nausea and diarrhea. It is now day 7, I am going to get another blood test, but all in all, I feel slightly better. I think it's the papaya leaf.

Comment from: HelloWorld_2015, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

One of my close relatives got fever one fine day with headache, vomiting and chills. He was shown to the doctor, and the doctor said it was some food poisoning and fever. After taking the prescribed medicines also fever and other symptoms persisted. Actually, condition started worsening. We went to the doctor again where seeing the condition they admitted him. Then, dengue test was also done where report showed negative. But still his condition was getting worse. They thought liver damage. Then again a senior doctor asked to redo dengue test after 3 more days, and this time it was positive with very low blood count, confusion in patient, vomiting, and even lungs were affected. He became very serious and doctors were also losing hope. Then we shifted him to another hospital in where he was on ventilator for some 17 days. Finally doctors thought of doing plasma therapy which worked and his condition improved. After that for a few days he was on some vitamins and other food supplements, lots of fluids, including physiotherapy as pain was there. Now, he is absolutely fine. But, it was dangerous hemorrhagic dengue fever from which those doctors helped him survive. Big thanks to them. But in the initial stage it is always suggested to have more and more fluids, how much ever you can take.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?