Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Comment from: shell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have had dengue for about a month now. I am still having severe body pains and headaches. Is this normal and how long will these problems exist? My platelets went down to 8 and I was given two bags of platelets and an IV, but after a month I am still very weak and having body pains.

Comment from: Preeth, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My cousin had fever, accompanied by a cough and cold for three days (about 101- 102 degrees F), and started vomiting on the fourth day, accompanied by heavy bleeding- she was admitted in hospital on the 4th day, as her BP and heart rate were very low. On the 5th day, she slipped into a coma, and her platelet counts dropped as low as 17,000. She was given blood and platelet transfusions, antibiotics etc., as the first 2 tests for dengue were negative, and only the 3rd test was positive for dengue. She was put on dialysis as her kidneys were not functioning, and on the ventilator, as she was not able to breathe, and after exactly a week in this condition, she passed away exactly 9 days after she was admitted. The doctors at the hospital said it seemed to be an extremely virulent case of dengue that caused multiple organ failure very fast. She was only 32 years old.

Comment from: Antillean citizen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I live in Trinidad and Tobago and have just been diagnosed with Dengue. The key signal was that there was a two-day engagement with fever and body aches then a wonderful and misleading lull in the battle. Tonight the enemy struck again. I think water is a key to victory and maximum Tylenol.

Published: July 30

I contracted dengue fever in Gambia, in the early `70`s. I went from feeling normal, to such extreme exhaustion, that I fell asleep, riding my horse. My next memory was of waking up in bed in extreme pain. High fever accompanied this. I was told that I had "joint-ache fever;" and it was from a mosquito bite. I was in bed for at least a week in pretty intense pain with fever, and in bed a second week just miserable. It took about a month to recover my normal energy.

Published: July 24

I am currently suffering from Dengue and am very frustrated/teary/excruciating pain/fever/diarrhea etc. The ER docs sent me home with some Lortab, Theophyllin for nausea and Prilosec for the effects from vomiting. I feel that nothing has changed and I am so exhausted. While bedrest is all I can do for myself right now, I wonder if there isn't more that can/should be done medically. What about this dehydration? How long did this last in others? When does the severe joint pain subside? Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Comment from: josh, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I had a dengue fever about a day ago. I felt so week. My head is extremely aching, vomiting and difficulty to eat. I had fever 40'c., but I am okay now.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?