Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had dengue in Queensland in the late 1980s. I was very sick and in a lot of pain for about a month, then quite unwell for the next 4 to 6 months, then just not myself and up and down for the rest of the year. I now have chronic fatigue syndrome or post viral fatigue syndrome (whatever you want to call it) from glandular fever/infectious mononucleosis and the fatigue and general aches and pains feel a lot like the latter part of my dengue episode. I believe this is a second bout of post viral fatigue for me, maybe I'm predisposed.

Comment from: Kate, Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

A week after our return from Madeira my husband became ill with a fever and severe trembling, muscular pains, headache and nausea. Our doctor was unsure of the cause and took a blood test. A rash developed soon after. We received the results of the blood test two weeks later and found out it was dengue fever. He is now fully recovered. My concern is for holiday makers to Madeira, many who are quite elderly and perhaps unaware as we were that this mosquito is present on the island.

Comment from: saiini, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

Everybody has a problem of high fever in dengue but mine was different. I had fever only one day and the next day I went for tests and came to know that it was dengue. I didn't have fever again but I had problems like slight pain in my kidney and also loose motions and blood in stool. I was really confused that that I had no fever; I was taking it lightly but my condition got worse day by day. I have nausea and breathing problems and I'm in a hospital for treatment now.

Comment from: Barbara St. Juste, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 24

I live in US Virgin Islands. I'm a RN & we have been having increased patients positive for dengue virus(DV). I have severe osteoarthritis, diabetic neuropathy & fibromyalgia so I didn't connect my s/s with DV. I had a continuous headache with joint pain so severe I couldn't get out of bed without someone to help and support me. I became anorexic due to nausea & vomiting. Palms/Feet beet red. Fever 102.0 so my family Dr. Sent me to ER and March 11, 2013 labs showed DV titer + @ 7.9 (very high) with hemoglobin 8.6 (very low) hematocrit 23 (very low) platelets 90 (very low) next day dropped to 45 (dangerous) very fine rash started on cheeks then disappeared to reappear on arms and chest only. June 29,2013 DV tiger still +. All signs and symptoms subsided except joint/bone pain and exhaustion. Hopefully will continue to strengthen.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I am just getting over Dengue which I got in South India or Thailand. I had a rash on my arms that alerted me. Next I knew I had a 105 temp (41 c) for 3-4 days and extremely intense joint and muscle pain. This makes it nearly impossible to sleep so you become quite delirious. Then came blood in stool (GI Bleeding) - and complete loss of appetite. I was put on IV - but still lost about 10 lbs (5kg). I didn't experience nausea, but a horrible rash came on that is itchy and painful and makes it difficult to sleep. I'm about 3 days into the rash which the doctors indicate is the final phase of the illness. I am feeling very weak and exhausted.

Published: July 28

I spent the summer of 1978 serving a summer missionary internship working in a children's hospital in Haiti, West Indies. I must have been bitten by a carrier of Dengue because I became quite sick within about a week of returning to my home in Dallas. I had a slight rash, low grade fever, petechiae, and terrible, terrible pain. I was quite ill for about two weeks, not even able to get out of bed! I was basically given Valium by my internist because there was no treatment and he determined that the Valium would at least keep me from struggling with the terrible pain. Interestingly, I have immune problems (which may have made me a "target" for the illness) and I also developed significant fibromyalgia within a short tine after recovering from Dengue. I have no idea if there is a relationship between the two, but the coincidence is certainly interesting.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?