Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Published: June 09

I had Dengue in September of 2007. I caught the virus in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. My symptoms started with a terrible case of vertigo. Had dizzy spells that lasted for about three minutes, along with vomiting. Three days later the rest of the symptoms came a float. Have never in my whole entire life being as sick. I up to now I get very tires and my muscles ache.

Comment from: ReginaP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am just beginning my third day after experience the first symptom. I am Brazilian and pretty sure I have got it in my own home. About a week ago I saw a white spot legged mosquito in my kitchen. First day: My temperature measured about 36C all day, no fever. Little red spots (rash) started which seems to be more or less intense as the day goes by, a horrible back pain and itchy, the pain seems to go until the bones. Although the thermometer shows no fever my back skin was very hot at the touch, the skin rough, it was very hard to sleep, also there was a great pain on my eyes. I was very exhausted. I took one Nimesulide pill to be able to sleep. Second day: I changed all the clothes on my bed, I took three showers day, and I took another Nimesulide pill as I felt much better at morning. Third day: In general I am coping well, can still do some activities, yet a bit tired, I hope it won't take me a week or two as some say. Less pain more rash, still itchy. I just want to add that I rarely took any medicine, in my whole life I've only had a fever twice and never a headache in spite I am astigmatic and do not use glasses all the time. I suppose my medical history gives one reason why my symptoms aren't so strong.

Comment from: dru, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I am from Tobago and I believe I had a bout of dengue, upon returning home from work I just felt a sudden weakness and body thrills, later that night lower back pains, headaches and a feeling as though I had been run over by a 40 wheeler. I visited the hospital where the doctor took blood for test later that afternoon my arms and chest became engulfed with a rash, upon taking the treatment prescribed. I began feeling a lot better on my way to full recovery.

Comment from: shell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have had dengue for about a month now. I am still having severe body pains and headaches. Is this normal and how long will these problems exist? My platelets went down to 8 and I was given two bags of platelets and an IV, but after a month I am still very weak and having body pains.

Comment from: Preeth, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My cousin had fever, accompanied by a cough and cold for three days (about 101- 102 degrees F), and started vomiting on the fourth day, accompanied by heavy bleeding- she was admitted in hospital on the 4th day, as her BP and heart rate were very low. On the 5th day, she slipped into a coma, and her platelet counts dropped as low as 17,000. She was given blood and platelet transfusions, antibiotics etc., as the first 2 tests for dengue were negative, and only the 3rd test was positive for dengue. She was put on dialysis as her kidneys were not functioning, and on the ventilator, as she was not able to breathe, and after exactly a week in this condition, she passed away exactly 9 days after she was admitted. The doctors at the hospital said it seemed to be an extremely virulent case of dengue that caused multiple organ failure very fast. She was only 32 years old.

Comment from: Antillean citizen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I live in Trinidad and Tobago and have just been diagnosed with Dengue. The key signal was that there was a two-day engagement with fever and body aches then a wonderful and misleading lull in the battle. Tonight the enemy struck again. I think water is a key to victory and maximum Tylenol.

Published: July 30

I contracted dengue fever in Gambia, in the early `70`s. I went from feeling normal, to such extreme exhaustion, that I fell asleep, riding my horse. My next memory was of waking up in bed in extreme pain. High fever accompanied this. I was told that I had "joint-ache fever;" and it was from a mosquito bite. I was in bed for at least a week in pretty intense pain with fever, and in bed a second week just miserable. It took about a month to recover my normal energy.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?