Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: sonia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was in India for 15 days break, and on 28th October evening I suddenly started feeling pain in my wrist and shoulder joints but everyone said perhaps it was because of tiredness, so I ignored it. Next day my condition got worse still and I dragged myself changing one flight after another and reached back home. I visited a doctor who said the signs were of dengue but blood report will confirm the same. The blood report says it is classical dengue. My legs are all swollen, I am tired very soon and feel weak all the time. I am taking medication for 2 weeks now. Thankfully my platelet count is fine, but my energy level is gone down and I don't know how dengue gave me extra weight.

Comment from: killua, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

First day I started to get chill and headache with slight body pain followed by fever. The first lasted for 3 days and I was normal for 1 day and second fever started from fifth day. So I drank 10 to 12 liters water per day. Now the dengue fever is gone but as soon as fever stopped, rashes started from my palm of my hands covering entire body. I don't know what is going on, my platelet count is dropping rapidly but there is no sign of fever except rashes.

Comment from: Raj, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

This is to inform everybody that dengue can be bashed up. The foremost thing to remember is that don't let the platelets count nosedive. It makes you crumble. Simple natural remedies are useful and I observed it. Use the juice of papaya leaves without diluting it with water, 1/2 a glass 3 times daily. I swear, the platelets count considerably increases and the patient walks free. Since dengue is a viral fever, no effective remedies are not available. Eat chickpeas and jaggery every morning on empty stomach. You will get the much needed iron content and other nutrients naturally. To keep the pain under control, use mild analgesics. Test it. Wish you all the best.

Comment from: melfunctions, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

It is now some four months since I was infected with dengue in Bali, I had the most severe symptoms consistent with the posts of others. The skin loss and change was very dramatic, hands and feet shed massive amounts of skin which was tough and weathered but now it is like a baby's skin. The other problem I now have is the aches and pain in my back and limbs; these are still severe and a problem that I hope will go away with time. I certainly had a severe dose as when I was in hospital my back and legs ached so much I could not sleep. I think that this is why I am still having problems.

Comment from: danie31, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

My husband has all the symptoms of dengue. I am going tomorrow to buy goldenseal. We are also going to the doctor again. The doctor here said it was 'just a rash,' and sent him home with cortisone cream, but his condition is worsening day by day.

Comment from: jena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

A day after returning back from trip to Myanmar via Delhi, I had severe chills, joint and muscle pain, shaking and sweating, dizziness, and nausea. I went to see my doctor and was sent to the emergency room (ER). They tested for malaria which was clear and I started treatment for typhoid (until those blood screens were found clear). No one really had heard of dengue fever, although the fever went down after 3 days. I had other unpleasant symptoms, tachycardia, shortness of breath, bloated abdomen, and cold hands, to the point at which I felt I was going to black out and had to concentrate very hard on deep slow diaphragm breathing. This lasted about an hour in the extreme then to a lesser amount it lasted another 6 to 7 hours. This happened again the next day. I was just told that I had anxiety by the doctors; which was really not the case when something is happening to your body physiologically you know it. I am still awaiting test for dengue fever 21 days later. And I am still having milder attacks of the tachycardia and shortness of breath. After reading lots I now drink large amounts of re-hydrating salt solutions and juice and water which seems to help also. I'm still having milder joint pains but hoping the worst is over.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had dengue fever back in 1983 while I was in the Peace Corps (PC) in Tonga. I remember a severe headache, which was so bad it was hard to open my eyes and focus on anything, a high fever, rash, and muscle pain. The PC nurse took my situation seriously, making sure I had plenty of fluids. I did recover fully, and the Tongans told me I was lucky to have survived.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?