Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?

Comment from: danie31, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

My husband has all the symptoms of dengue. I am going tomorrow to buy goldenseal. We are also going to the doctor again. The doctor here said it was 'just a rash,' and sent him home with cortisone cream, but his condition is worsening day by day.

Comment from: jena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

A day after returning back from trip to Myanmar via Delhi, I had severe chills, joint and muscle pain, shaking and sweating, dizziness, and nausea. I went to see my doctor and was sent to the emergency room (ER). They tested for malaria which was clear and I started treatment for typhoid (until those blood screens were found clear). No one really had heard of dengue fever, although the fever went down after 3 days. I had other unpleasant symptoms, tachycardia, shortness of breath, bloated abdomen, and cold hands, to the point at which I felt I was going to black out and had to concentrate very hard on deep slow diaphragm breathing. This lasted about an hour in the extreme then to a lesser amount it lasted another 6 to 7 hours. This happened again the next day. I was just told that I had anxiety by the doctors; which was really not the case when something is happening to your body physiologically you know it. I am still awaiting test for dengue fever 21 days later. And I am still having milder attacks of the tachycardia and shortness of breath. After reading lots I now drink large amounts of re-hydrating salt solutions and juice and water which seems to help also. I'm still having milder joint pains but hoping the worst is over.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had dengue fever back in 1983 while I was in the Peace Corps (PC) in Tonga. I remember a severe headache, which was so bad it was hard to open my eyes and focus on anything, a high fever, rash, and muscle pain. The PC nurse took my situation seriously, making sure I had plenty of fluids. I did recover fully, and the Tongans told me I was lucky to have survived.

Comment from: Vulcan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I contracted the hemorrhagic version of dengue fever in 1993 and have been told that I am now the oldest and longest living survivor of (dengue hemorrhagic fever). I want to caution everyone that has had DF to monitor their pancreas. My doctor happened to be from South America and was familiar with DF. She tested my pancreas due to intestinal problems and found it was essentially dead on the digestive side and barely functioning on the insulin side. I have never been a drinker of alcohol. Through strict diet and pre-diabetes medications it is under control. Viral infections are a cause of pancreatic problems after alcoholism.

Comment from: Jimmy Romero, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 07

It was suspected that I had a mild case of dengue fever last year after visiting Cozumel. Our resort had squadrons of mosquitos. After being home for about a week I developed the triad. Although never tested, several of my physician friends suspected dengue. It took about 30 days to fully recover. I do believe that we downplay the amount of dengue we see in our emergency rooms - especially the states bordering Mexico. This experience has definitely opened my mind to think about dengue with our patients especially during summer months of vacations to high-risk area.

Comment from: Celia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I caught dengue fever at Christmas 2013. It is now mid-April 2014 and I am only just able to walk without severe pain due to the joint pain that developed. One of the worst times was around week 5 when my feet suddenly shed their skin. No one told me what to expect once I left hospital but the book "Surviving dengue fever" is very helpful at explaining what to expect day-by-day and week-by-week. I wish I had found this forum sooner!

Comment from: goodboy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

This dengue fever has been my worst sickly experience. I got up feeling all broken, every joint, head, muscle and bone aching terribly. I could not stand or stoop without support. I walked like an aged person. The fever was extreme for the first three days but subsided. I had many CBC tests, platelets and WBC count falling low, but now slowly picking up once the fever and pain has gone. However I have itching all over the body. I used Alcolado to ease the itching. I don't wish this on any one.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?