Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: Afsy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently had a severe dengue attack and was in the hospital for about 10 days. It all started with high grade fever, loss of appetite, body pain and severe dizziness. I ignored it as the regular viral fever and sat on it for 3 days. I experienced (4th day) that all of the above symptoms were turning worse and unbearable. The pain, now excruciating, moved to the eye orbit and there were rashes. I couldn't stay upright. So I dragged myself out of bed and went for a blood test. There I was, a victim of the deadly dengue mosquito. But I got the right treatment and now am back to work, though fatigue, pain, light headedness and breathlessness remain a major area of problem. The doctor says, it'll take time to settle. I trust him.

Comment from: Gavin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

One morning I woke up with what felt like the world's worst hangover, I thought that I might just be dehydrated as it is very hot and humid where I live. However within 3 hours I was suffering from the most severe headache and pressure pain behind my eyes, my eyes also became sensitive to the sunlight. I had intense muscular pain in my upper chest and shoulder muscles, which I still have six weeks later. I endured high fever along with chills, my body temperature rose so high that my skin actually burned red. After about 5 days the head ache and eye pain subsided next came intense prickly skin with mild rash on my body. My platelet count dropped an average of 20000 per day; along with drinking huge amounts of water and eating only citrus fruit and taking 2 Tylenol every 4 hours and the sap of crushed papaya leaf did my condition improve.

Comment from: Avos1993, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I had Dengue fever three times in 2012. All three times were while I was living in Singapore. The first time I had it was in March of 2012 and I wasn't properly diagnosed until after it was over. I thought it was horrible then but I had no idea. In October of 2012 I got it again. I went to school on a Monday morning and began to feel feverish. I went to the nurse and found I had a 103 fever. The next 5 days were pure hell. I lost my appetite, couldn't walk, talk, eat or even drink water. The pain behind my eyes and the pain in my joints were excruciating to say the least. In the first three days my fever got up to 105.3 but on the 6th day my fever went away and I felt much better, so the next day I went to school. It was a big mistake! About 3 periods into the day, my face felt like I had a raging sunburn and before long my skin starting peeling off. That night the rash started and I was so dehydrated I went to the hospital. My blood platelet level had dropped from about 140,000 on the first day to just over 32,000 (in Singapore they give blood transfusions at about 25,000). The pain was so bad I passed out many times. Two days later, the rash started going down and I started getting better. The third time I had it was in late November. I was much like the second time but about 5 times worse. I definitely thought I was a goner. Dengue is terrible, that is all.

Comment from: tobi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm from the Philippines and I have had dengue and I'm on the recovery stage right now. I'm still experiencing itchiness. This virus caused a lot of pain. It started on my lower back and joints. It felt like my head was cracking in pain, my eyes were heavy and painful. All I felt was pain; a lot of pain. I got admitted to the hospital and my fever ranged at 39-40 degree C for 3 days. I got chills that didn't let me sleep even a minute, I lost my appetite, my stool was watery and I vomited all food I ate.

Comment from: Uma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

In August I contracted flu like illness and I took paracetamol (acetaminophen). I then had mild sore throat and congestion. I visited a physician who said it was some self-limiting viral diseases and gave me vitamin C. Then I started getting mild chills but no overt fever. Then on August 9th I started getting 102 -103 degree fever, chills and diarrhea. I got tested by another physician and tested positive for dengue NS1. I was admitted to the hospital and placed on drips and antibiotics. My platelet count did not go down below normal, but I developed severe leucopenia, abnormal lymphocytes and slightly elevated SGPT and SGOT. I was discharged after 2 days. I was very weak after discharge, and also developed hypertension and tachycardia. It has been over 1 month now, I recently have started showing some mild symptoms and I don't know what to make of it.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?