Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Comment from: SXM, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I live in St. Martin. I actually felt severe headaches for a week and then one night I got up vomiting and had loose bowels. I thought I had the rota virus but I realized that I get really high fevers and shortness of breathe. Then I got a rash on my face, and red eyes. I have had it for one week already.

Comment from: Prettyme, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My 4-year-old daughter is in the hospital for dengue hemorrhagic fever. At first, she started with a high grade fever, then she started to have a decrease in appetite and become very weak. On the third day, her temperature dropped down, but then she started to have profuse nose bleeding. She was admitted to the hospital and tested for dengue. It was positive. She had black stool and she vomited some blood. So far there is no transfusion advice by the doctor because her platelet count is within borderline to the normal range. Hematocrit is within normal. They are treating her with IV fluids, controlling her vomiting and fever. I kept feeding her even when she didn't feel like eating. I forced fluids on her too. The doctor also included some vitamin C, which helps with her immune system. Right now, I think she is regaining her strength because she can play with her sister and brother and hasn't had any bleeding so far.

Comment from: Angel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

When I had dengue, I had a fever for four days before I was diagnosed with the disease. It was like an ordinary flu: I had a backache, headache, slight stomach ache, loss of appetite and vomiting. I felt really weak, maybe because of the lack of food intake and vomiting. My doctor advised me to undergo a blood transfusion because my platelets were so low. A day or two after that, I was OK and regained my strength.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 06

I had been living in Barbados for nearly 12 months and contracted Dengue. At first, I had a really terrible headache and felt quite sick, but I wasn't vomiting. The next day, I couldn't get out of bed. In fact, my legs and body ached so much. I was as weak as a kitten. This is why it's sometimes called break bone fever. It took about two weeks until I eventually felt better. The doctor recommended Paracetamol and lots of water. I also drank lots of peppermint tea and chicken soup.

Published: July 18

My sister is currently suffering from dengue fever. She first had severe pain all over and high fever on 11 July. By the third day, Sunday, her doctor took her blood for a test and it tested positive for dengue fever. She was admitted to hospital on the fourth day where she was put on intravenous sodium chloride solution and given Vitamin C at night, plus paracetamol to keep her fever down and other drugs to stop her nausea. She also took herbal medicines as well as isotonic drinks and watermelon juice to keep the fever down. Her fever went down on the third day of admission which was 16 July. However, her platelet count went down from 240 on the first day of admission to a low of 45 on 17 July and then up to today 18 July, it is 58. Her white blood cell count is up, according to the doctor. She complained of a pain in the right side of her tummy and a scan was done, but nothing showed up. And today, she is complaining that her body is itching. No rashes so far.

Published: June 17

After being bitten, I expect within around three days, I experienced a high fever for three or four days, sometimes a fever of cold sweating. By the third day, my whole body was a rash of very small bright spots everywhere. My feet and ankles were very red and puffy. I had pains in my large muscles, elbows and knee joints. I also had itching all over with intense headaches and no energy. I'm gradually feeling better.

Published: June 12

My son and I are recovering from dengue fever. On the on set of the fever both of us experienced severe headaches, muscle aches and dizziness. Then it's the purging and vomiting. Fever comes and goes. There are times when I feel very well before the fever plunges in again. I have blood spots all over more particularly on my legs and my son has rashes all over. It's possibly two different types but it was dengue fever nevertheless. We were put on drips, drink plenty of water and eat food with high protein and iron content.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?