Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?

Comment from: tobi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm from the Philippines and I have had dengue and I'm on the recovery stage right now. I'm still experiencing itchiness. This virus caused a lot of pain. It started on my lower back and joints. It felt like my head was cracking in pain, my eyes were heavy and painful. All I felt was pain; a lot of pain. I got admitted to the hospital and my fever ranged at 39-40 degree C for 3 days. I got chills that didn't let me sleep even a minute, I lost my appetite, my stool was watery and I vomited all food I ate.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with dengue in Colombia in December 2012. I now realize this was the second time I had dengue. The first time was in 1997 in Cambodia, when I became very ill for 2 to 3 days but thought at the time it was severe food poisoning or flu so it was not diagnosed. This second time, I felt very ill for 48 hours before going to hospital, intense pain behind the eyes, high fever and vomiting. I also lost sensation in my hands. Once I was admitted I felt better after two days on saline drip and painkillers, then I became worse, but the hospital discharged me after a week, saying my platelet count was fine. I spent two days in a hotel on the bathroom floor until I went back to hospital. I was admitted for another 2 weeks, as they were concerned my liver was not functioning. The migraine pain was incredible and I had vomiting. I had an MRI brain scan, as the pain in my head was incredible. They thought I may have an additional problem to the dengue so they had a camera down my stomach, as they could not stop the vomiting. The pain was intense. I also suffered from 'facial muscle spasms,' but I think this was caused from a drug that I should not have been given. After a total of 3 weeks in hospital, I had lost 15 kilos in weight. I could not walk, I was very weak and my brain would not function. A physiotherapist said he could tell the membrane around my head was inflamed. It took 2 months before I felt human again. Still 7 months on, if I do a lot of exercise I feel exhausted. My body does not like alcohol now.

Comment from: Uma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

In August I contracted flu like illness and I took paracetamol (acetaminophen). I then had mild sore throat and congestion. I visited a physician who said it was some self-limiting viral diseases and gave me vitamin C. Then I started getting mild chills but no overt fever. Then on August 9th I started getting 102 -103 degree fever, chills and diarrhea. I got tested by another physician and tested positive for dengue NS1. I was admitted to the hospital and placed on drips and antibiotics. My platelet count did not go down below normal, but I developed severe leucopenia, abnormal lymphocytes and slightly elevated SGPT and SGOT. I was discharged after 2 days. I was very weak after discharge, and also developed hypertension and tachycardia. It has been over 1 month now, I recently have started showing some mild symptoms and I don't know what to make of it.

Comment from: Burcu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm currently experiencing dengue fever. This is my fifth day and I feel like it will last another 5 days. It started with a high-fever attack, twice in one night. One minute I was okay and the next minute I was shaking and getting chills. I vomited only once but nausea is always there especially in the mornings and at nights. On the second day I was extremely weak, had difficulty breathing but had no body pain or headache. Third day I was diagnosed with dengue, so started taking one IV per day, 4 packs of electral, lots of juice and fruit. The platelet count dropped for the first 3 days but it is increasing on the 5th day. Even though I don't have very visible red rash (I have on my face and chest), my body is itching all over like crazy. Itching started on the second day lightly on my feet and soles, and also hands and spread all over my body. The doctor prescribed some powerful antihistamines to relieve the itching. Finally my appetite is going down but I force myself to eat and drink as much as I can.

Comment from: Raj, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

This is to inform everybody that dengue can be bashed up. The foremost thing to remember is that don't let the platelets count nosedive. It makes you crumble. Simple natural remedies are useful and I observed it. Use the juice of papaya leaves without diluting it with water, 1/2 a glass 3 times daily. I swear, the platelets count considerably increases and the patient walks free. Since dengue is a viral fever, no effective remedies are not available. Eat chickpeas and jaggery every morning on empty stomach. You will get the much needed iron content and other nutrients naturally. To keep the pain under control, use mild analgesics. Test it. Wish you all the best.

Comment from: melfunctions, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

It is now some four months since I was infected with dengue in Bali, I had the most severe symptoms consistent with the posts of others. The skin loss and change was very dramatic, hands and feet shed massive amounts of skin which was tough and weathered but now it is like a baby's skin. The other problem I now have is the aches and pain in my back and limbs; these are still severe and a problem that I hope will go away with time. I certainly had a severe dose as when I was in hospital my back and legs ached so much I could not sleep. I think that this is why I am still having problems.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?