Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?

Comment from: tobi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm from the Philippines and I have had dengue and I'm on the recovery stage right now. I'm still experiencing itchiness. This virus caused a lot of pain. It started on my lower back and joints. It felt like my head was cracking in pain, my eyes were heavy and painful. All I felt was pain; a lot of pain. I got admitted to the hospital and my fever ranged at 39-40 degree C for 3 days. I got chills that didn't let me sleep even a minute, I lost my appetite, my stool was watery and I vomited all food I ate.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with dengue in Colombia in December 2012. I now realize this was the second time I had dengue. The first time was in 1997 in Cambodia, when I became very ill for 2 to 3 days but thought at the time it was severe food poisoning or flu so it was not diagnosed. This second time, I felt very ill for 48 hours before going to hospital, intense pain behind the eyes, high fever and vomiting. I also lost sensation in my hands. Once I was admitted I felt better after two days on saline drip and painkillers, then I became worse, but the hospital discharged me after a week, saying my platelet count was fine. I spent two days in a hotel on the bathroom floor until I went back to hospital. I was admitted for another 2 weeks, as they were concerned my liver was not functioning. The migraine pain was incredible and I had vomiting. I had an MRI brain scan, as the pain in my head was incredible. They thought I may have an additional problem to the dengue so they had a camera down my stomach, as they could not stop the vomiting. The pain was intense. I also suffered from 'facial muscle spasms,' but I think this was caused from a drug that I should not have been given. After a total of 3 weeks in hospital, I had lost 15 kilos in weight. I could not walk, I was very weak and my brain would not function. A physiotherapist said he could tell the membrane around my head was inflamed. It took 2 months before I felt human again. Still 7 months on, if I do a lot of exercise I feel exhausted. My body does not like alcohol now.

Comment from: Uma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

In August I contracted flu like illness and I took paracetamol (acetaminophen). I then had mild sore throat and congestion. I visited a physician who said it was some self-limiting viral diseases and gave me vitamin C. Then I started getting mild chills but no overt fever. Then on August 9th I started getting 102 -103 degree fever, chills and diarrhea. I got tested by another physician and tested positive for dengue NS1. I was admitted to the hospital and placed on drips and antibiotics. My platelet count did not go down below normal, but I developed severe leucopenia, abnormal lymphocytes and slightly elevated SGPT and SGOT. I was discharged after 2 days. I was very weak after discharge, and also developed hypertension and tachycardia. It has been over 1 month now, I recently have started showing some mild symptoms and I don't know what to make of it.

Comment from: Burcu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm currently experiencing dengue fever. This is my fifth day and I feel like it will last another 5 days. It started with a high-fever attack, twice in one night. One minute I was okay and the next minute I was shaking and getting chills. I vomited only once but nausea is always there especially in the mornings and at nights. On the second day I was extremely weak, had difficulty breathing but had no body pain or headache. Third day I was diagnosed with dengue, so started taking one IV per day, 4 packs of electral, lots of juice and fruit. The platelet count dropped for the first 3 days but it is increasing on the 5th day. Even though I don't have very visible red rash (I have on my face and chest), my body is itching all over like crazy. Itching started on the second day lightly on my feet and soles, and also hands and spread all over my body. The doctor prescribed some powerful antihistamines to relieve the itching. Finally my appetite is going down but I force myself to eat and drink as much as I can.

Comment from: jena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

A day after returning back from trip to Myanmar via Delhi, I had severe chills, joint and muscle pain, shaking and sweating, dizziness, and nausea. I went to see my doctor and was sent to the emergency room (ER). They tested for malaria which was clear and I started treatment for typhoid (until those blood screens were found clear). No one really had heard of dengue fever, although the fever went down after 3 days. I had other unpleasant symptoms, tachycardia, shortness of breath, bloated abdomen, and cold hands, to the point at which I felt I was going to black out and had to concentrate very hard on deep slow diaphragm breathing. This lasted about an hour in the extreme then to a lesser amount it lasted another 6 to 7 hours. This happened again the next day. I was just told that I had anxiety by the doctors; which was really not the case when something is happening to your body physiologically you know it. I am still awaiting test for dengue fever 21 days later. And I am still having milder attacks of the tachycardia and shortness of breath. After reading lots I now drink large amounts of re-hydrating salt solutions and juice and water which seems to help also. I'm still having milder joint pains but hoping the worst is over.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?