Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Comment from: ERRN, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

June 2012, traveled to Thailand for 2 wks and visited outlying areas which include; Bangkok, Phuket, Koi Phi Phi Islands. Noticed multiple (x6) mosquito bites bilat. to my lower legs. Five days s/p mosquito bites I was back in the US, CA, SF. S/S: Day 5, Malaise, Body aches Day 6, Body aches, back pain, periorbital pain. Contacted my Primary Doctor (Infectious Disease Specialist) and ordered CBC, LFTs) abnormals: WBC: 2.2, PLT: 110 Day 7, Gums bleeding when brushing teeth, High Grade fever 103.5 F. Went into ER, they redrew my CBC, Chem 7, LFTs, Bld Cultures x2, Lactate Acid. Abnormals: WBC: 1.2, PLT: 90, LFT's elevated. I was then placed on neurotropenic precautions and admitted for 2 days. Treatment: x3 ABX IV, IV Fluids, repeat labs. Labs indicated my WBC and PLT were returning to WNL, no need to blood tx. I was positive for 2 of the 4 Dengue strains. (I guess I was exposed to it in 2011 in Bali and was asymptomatic). Post D/C from hospital, developed full body rash (mild) most likely d/t immune system response. Lost 15 lbs, recovered fully within 2wks at home.

Comment from: archana manju, Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

Hi to all, My mom and sister was suffering from Dengue fever they were haveing heavy headache and fever after 3 days we did blood test and came to knw they r suffering from Dengue admitted in hosital Appolo bangalore after admitting we came to knw it is not viral fever and it will not spread from one person to another person now they r safe bcoz their patlet count came till 20,000 before admitting it was 1,20000 we were shocked after giving that patlet they r k now please people if anybody ask for patlet please donate bcoz for this fever their is no medicin this is only the medicin.

Comment from: farhana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

Dengue is a near-death experience. You can't eat; you can't talk; you don't want to hear anything because all of your body is in pain – even your nails. It was a lifetime experience. Now I get a rash because of eating chicken, wearing perfume, or makeup. I am sensitive to heat and cold, I get tired easily, and my skin is dull and dry. Thankfully, I am out of that painful period of my life.

Comment from: rhom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My 6-year old son is now in the hospital and is being suspected of having Dengue Fever. He had fever for 3 days. His body temperature reached 39.9.On the 4th day, the temperature dropped, and we thought that he will be okay, but he had fever at night time on the same day again. It was 38 degrees high. On the 5th day, he had fever until early afternoon and the temperature lowered until the next day. We decided to bring him to the doctor for a check-up and were advised to be hospitalized. My heart is still breaking whenever he will undergo CBC. He gets blood test everyday. The rashes on his skin became more visible on the 6th and 7th day. He doesn't have fever anymore. I just hope that he will continue on fighting against this disease. His appetite is regaining again though it wasn't as good as his normal yet. His stool is still watery and his lower lip is very dry. He is being forced to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.

Comment from: SXM, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I live in St. Martin. I actually felt severe headaches for a week and then one night I got up vomiting and had loose bowels. I thought I had the rota virus but I realized that I get really high fevers and shortness of breathe. Then I got a rash on my face, and red eyes. I have had it for one week already.

Comment from: Prettyme, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My 4-year-old daughter is in the hospital for dengue hemorrhagic fever. At first, she started with a high grade fever, then she started to have a decrease in appetite and become very weak. On the third day, her temperature dropped down, but then she started to have profuse nose bleeding. She was admitted to the hospital and tested for dengue. It was positive. She had black stool and she vomited some blood. So far there is no transfusion advice by the doctor because her platelet count is within borderline to the normal range. Hematocrit is within normal. They are treating her with IV fluids, controlling her vomiting and fever. I kept feeding her even when she didn't feel like eating. I forced fluids on her too. The doctor also included some vitamin C, which helps with her immune system. Right now, I think she is regaining her strength because she can play with her sister and brother and hasn't had any bleeding so far.

Comment from: Angel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

When I had dengue, I had a fever for four days before I was diagnosed with the disease. It was like an ordinary flu: I had a backache, headache, slight stomach ache, loss of appetite and vomiting. I felt really weak, maybe because of the lack of food intake and vomiting. My doctor advised me to undergo a blood transfusion because my platelets were so low. A day or two after that, I was OK and regained my strength.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?