Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Comment from: KSA teacher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I got dengue fever in early June, and am still very ill. I'm 56, and I teach at a British school in Saudi Arabia. I was fine one day, taught all day, went home, and within two hours had a fever of about 40 C, a headache like I've never felt in my life, horrible eye pain, and severe muscle and joint pain. I went to the emergency room the next morning, but they said I was fine and to go home. I lay in bed for two days, taking Tylenol for the pain and fever, and remember telling friends I'd never felt so ill in my life. On the third day, I went to my doctor, and as I walked into his office I lost consciousness. I woke up on a gurney, vomiting. He had an ambulance take me to the hospital, and they diagnosed dengue fever. My white blood cells dropped to 2,000, and platelets to 70,000, and I had retinal hemorrhages which caused thousands of little black dots in my vision. I was given IV fluids for 24 hours and sent home. It's been a month now, but I'm still very weak most days (although I sometimes have a good day!). I'm normally very healthy, eat well, never miss a day at the gym, etc, so it's such a shock to me to be so ill for so long. My hands and feet are still peeling, but they no longer burn and hurt (I couldn't open a bottle of water, the skin hurt so much for a while). The spots in my vision are mostly gone, just a few remaining, but I have pretty heavy sweats pretty much all the time, I have insomnia (difficulty falling asleep, and also staying asleep), and am beginning to have what appears to be gallbladder attacks (I've read that gallbladder problems can occur after dengue). No idea how long it will be until this is gone, but I've heard it can be months. NOT fun, as you all know. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to everyone else going through this. Hard to believe that one little mosquito can take a person down Ike this! Grrr!

Comment from: ERRN, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

June 2012, traveled to Thailand for 2 wks and visited outlying areas which include; Bangkok, Phuket, Koi Phi Phi Islands. Noticed multiple (x6) mosquito bites bilat. to my lower legs. Five days s/p mosquito bites I was back in the US, CA, SF. S/S: Day 5, Malaise, Body aches Day 6, Body aches, back pain, periorbital pain. Contacted my Primary Doctor (Infectious Disease Specialist) and ordered CBC, LFTs) abnormals: WBC: 2.2, PLT: 110 Day 7, Gums bleeding when brushing teeth, High Grade fever 103.5 F. Went into ER, they redrew my CBC, Chem 7, LFTs, Bld Cultures x2, Lactate Acid. Abnormals: WBC: 1.2, PLT: 90, LFT's elevated. I was then placed on neurotropenic precautions and admitted for 2 days. Treatment: x3 ABX IV, IV Fluids, repeat labs. Labs indicated my WBC and PLT were returning to WNL, no need to blood tx. I was positive for 2 of the 4 Dengue strains. (I guess I was exposed to it in 2011 in Bali and was asymptomatic). Post D/C from hospital, developed full body rash (mild) most likely d/t immune system response. Lost 15 lbs, recovered fully within 2wks at home.

Comment from: archana manju, Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

Hi to all, My mom and sister was suffering from Dengue fever they were haveing heavy headache and fever after 3 days we did blood test and came to knw they r suffering from Dengue admitted in hosital Appolo bangalore after admitting we came to knw it is not viral fever and it will not spread from one person to another person now they r safe bcoz their patlet count came till 20,000 before admitting it was 1,20000 we were shocked after giving that patlet they r k now please people if anybody ask for patlet please donate bcoz for this fever their is no medicin this is only the medicin.

Comment from: farhana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

Dengue is a near-death experience. You can't eat; you can't talk; you don't want to hear anything because all of your body is in pain – even your nails. It was a lifetime experience. Now I get a rash because of eating chicken, wearing perfume, or makeup. I am sensitive to heat and cold, I get tired easily, and my skin is dull and dry. Thankfully, I am out of that painful period of my life.

Comment from: rhom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My 6-year old son is now in the hospital and is being suspected of having Dengue Fever. He had fever for 3 days. His body temperature reached 39.9.On the 4th day, the temperature dropped, and we thought that he will be okay, but he had fever at night time on the same day again. It was 38 degrees high. On the 5th day, he had fever until early afternoon and the temperature lowered until the next day. We decided to bring him to the doctor for a check-up and were advised to be hospitalized. My heart is still breaking whenever he will undergo CBC. He gets blood test everyday. The rashes on his skin became more visible on the 6th and 7th day. He doesn't have fever anymore. I just hope that he will continue on fighting against this disease. His appetite is regaining again though it wasn't as good as his normal yet. His stool is still watery and his lower lip is very dry. He is being forced to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?