Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I am just getting over Dengue which I got in South India or Thailand. I had a rash on my arms that alerted me. Next I knew I had a 105 temp (41 c) for 3-4 days and extremely intense joint and muscle pain. This makes it nearly impossible to sleep so you become quite delirious. Then came blood in stool (GI Bleeding) - and complete loss of appetite. I was put on IV - but still lost about 10 lbs (5kg). I didn't experience nausea, but a horrible rash came on that is itchy and painful and makes it difficult to sleep. I'm about 3 days into the rash which the doctors indicate is the final phase of the illness. I am feeling very weak and exhausted.

Published: July 28

I spent the summer of 1978 serving a summer missionary internship working in a children's hospital in Haiti, West Indies. I must have been bitten by a carrier of Dengue because I became quite sick within about a week of returning to my home in Dallas. I had a slight rash, low grade fever, petechiae, and terrible, terrible pain. I was quite ill for about two weeks, not even able to get out of bed! I was basically given Valium by my internist because there was no treatment and he determined that the Valium would at least keep me from struggling with the terrible pain. Interestingly, I have immune problems (which may have made me a "target" for the illness) and I also developed significant fibromyalgia within a short tine after recovering from Dengue. I have no idea if there is a relationship between the two, but the coincidence is certainly interesting.

Published: July 24

I just returned from Costa Rica. Seems there was an outbreak of Dengue Fever when I was there and I believe I had it, although I never got the blood test done. At first I was feeling a bit ill and got a rash on my stomach, which I attributed to a heat rash after a day at the beach. The next day I was supposed to go scuba diving, but after walking about .25 miles to the dive shop, I decided not to go. Felt like I had a killer hangover (but had not drank alcohol the night before) and a really bad lower backache. They drove me home and I spent the day in bed, fever, nausea, and headache. The next day, felt much better so the next day I did go diving and by noon was covered in the bright red rash and thought I had been run over by a truck. Ended up taking a tour that weekend with a group and went through fever and chills the whole time. Would drag myself around but always found an excuse to rest/sit. We went to a "hot springs" that had a warm pool and a cool pool and I spent a couple hours in them and it was great - brought the fever down and I felt much better. Each day fewer symptoms but I still get tired easily. Some people say there is no way I had it because I wasn't "sick enough". I don't know...never had a rash like that before!

Published: July 23

I have had dengue fever years ago as I live in Jamaica. Ever since then I seem to get the same symptoms for 3-4 days three or four times per year: achy sensation, tiredness, and painful headache behind the eyes. The fever rises upon exertion. Is this the same virus still in my system? I continue to live here in Jamaica and wonder if I am slightly more immune but continue to get a version of it.

Comment from: lalitha, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I had severe joint pain, headache, fatigue, dryness in the mouth. After two weeks of my recovery I am still suffering from joint pain and weakness.

Comment from: sankar, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I'm a dengue patient. My blood platelet was reduced to 24000 and my body temp was 105 F. I had been advised by my doctor to take about 14 random donor platelets and 1 single donor platelets. I had red rashes on my entire body. Now I'm feeling well.

Comment from: payal, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had dengue in August 2013. It was a horrible time for me. I had joint pain and now I still have finger joint pain. I don't know what is going on.

Comment from: rj, (Patient) Published: August 20

I am just getting over dengue fever, and it was horrific. My platelet level was dropping significantly and I had to be admitted to hospital. There was severe pain in my eyes and muscles. There was also a loss of appetite and weakness.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?