Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Published: July 28

I spent the summer of 1978 serving a summer missionary internship working in a children's hospital in Haiti, West Indies. I must have been bitten by a carrier of Dengue because I became quite sick within about a week of returning to my home in Dallas. I had a slight rash, low grade fever, petechiae, and terrible, terrible pain. I was quite ill for about two weeks, not even able to get out of bed! I was basically given Valium by my internist because there was no treatment and he determined that the Valium would at least keep me from struggling with the terrible pain. Interestingly, I have immune problems (which may have made me a "target" for the illness) and I also developed significant fibromyalgia within a short tine after recovering from Dengue. I have no idea if there is a relationship between the two, but the coincidence is certainly interesting.

Published: July 24

I just returned from Costa Rica. Seems there was an outbreak of Dengue Fever when I was there and I believe I had it, although I never got the blood test done. At first I was feeling a bit ill and got a rash on my stomach, which I attributed to a heat rash after a day at the beach. The next day I was supposed to go scuba diving, but after walking about .25 miles to the dive shop, I decided not to go. Felt like I had a killer hangover (but had not drank alcohol the night before) and a really bad lower backache. They drove me home and I spent the day in bed, fever, nausea, and headache. The next day, felt much better so the next day I did go diving and by noon was covered in the bright red rash and thought I had been run over by a truck. Ended up taking a tour that weekend with a group and went through fever and chills the whole time. Would drag myself around but always found an excuse to rest/sit. We went to a "hot springs" that had a warm pool and a cool pool and I spent a couple hours in them and it was great - brought the fever down and I felt much better. Each day fewer symptoms but I still get tired easily. Some people say there is no way I had it because I wasn't "sick enough". I don't know...never had a rash like that before!

Published: July 23

I have had dengue fever years ago as I live in Jamaica. Ever since then I seem to get the same symptoms for 3-4 days three or four times per year: achy sensation, tiredness, and painful headache behind the eyes. The fever rises upon exertion. Is this the same virus still in my system? I continue to live here in Jamaica and wonder if I am slightly more immune but continue to get a version of it.

Comment from: lalitha, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I had severe joint pain, headache, fatigue, dryness in the mouth. After two weeks of my recovery I am still suffering from joint pain and weakness.

Comment from: sankar, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I'm a dengue patient. My blood platelet was reduced to 24000 and my body temp was 105 F. I had been advised by my doctor to take about 14 random donor platelets and 1 single donor platelets. I had red rashes on my entire body. Now I'm feeling well.

Comment from: payal, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had dengue in August 2013. It was a horrible time for me. I had joint pain and now I still have finger joint pain. I don't know what is going on.

Comment from: rj, (Patient) Published: August 20

I am just getting over dengue fever, and it was horrific. My platelet level was dropping significantly and I had to be admitted to hospital. There was severe pain in my eyes and muscles. There was also a loss of appetite and weakness.

Comment from: KSA teacher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I got dengue fever in early June, and am still very ill. I'm 56, and I teach at a British school in Saudi Arabia. I was fine one day, taught all day, went home, and within two hours had a fever of about 40 C, a headache like I've never felt in my life, horrible eye pain, and severe muscle and joint pain. I went to the emergency room the next morning, but they said I was fine and to go home. I lay in bed for two days, taking Tylenol for the pain and fever, and remember telling friends I'd never felt so ill in my life. On the third day, I went to my doctor, and as I walked into his office I lost consciousness. I woke up on a gurney, vomiting. He had an ambulance take me to the hospital, and they diagnosed dengue fever. My white blood cells dropped to 2,000, and platelets to 70,000, and I had retinal hemorrhages which caused thousands of little black dots in my vision. I was given IV fluids for 24 hours and sent home. It's been a month now, but I'm still very weak most days (although I sometimes have a good day!). I'm normally very healthy, eat well, never miss a day at the gym, etc, so it's such a shock to me to be so ill for so long. My hands and feet are still peeling, but they no longer burn and hurt (I couldn't open a bottle of water, the skin hurt so much for a while). The spots in my vision are mostly gone, just a few remaining, but I have pretty heavy sweats pretty much all the time, I have insomnia (difficulty falling asleep, and also staying asleep), and am beginning to have what appears to be gallbladder attacks (I've read that gallbladder problems can occur after dengue). No idea how long it will be until this is gone, but I've heard it can be months. NOT fun, as you all know. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to everyone else going through this. Hard to believe that one little mosquito can take a person down Ike this! Grrr!

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?