Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?

Comment from: T, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had dengue fever twice while in the East Sepik, Papua New Guinea. The symptoms were as described in the article but very severe indeed. My symptoms included a dramatic drop in blood pressure, variance in heart beat from normal to very low, which produced periods of light-headedness. The long term effects included weakness and acute tiredness that lasted several months. The ongoing danger of dengue, especially in tropical regions, is the lowering of the immune system thus exposing an individual to other viruses and diseases.

Comment from: Simone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I didn't realize I had dengue fever, so testing and diagnosis was a couple of weeks after I got back from Vanuatu. For a couple of weeks I had terrible headaches, severe sweating and was just aching all over - exhausted. I thought I was going through early menopause and after going to the doctors and having blood tests, that's what the doctor confirmed. But a week later I got a call to say it was dengue fever (the blood test takes longer for that). I never took my temperature so can't relate to that and I never got a rash. I had no stomach or bowel problems either. The sweating and headaches stopped but I have terrible joint pain that is mainly in my hips and feels like it runs down my bones in my legs. I have some back aches as well. It has been nearly 3 months since arriving home from Vanuatu but I still have joint pain and exhaustion from time to time.

Comment from: Johnmc, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 82 years of age and in 1953 I was an RAF physical training instructor stationed at Changi, Singapore. I am not exactly sure what happened but I must have passed out, for the next thing I remember was waking up in bed in my room with piles of blankets on me. When the medical officer came to see me he informed me I had dengue fever. I had a raging fever and looking back, piling blankets on me was totally inappropriate particularly in a tropical climate. To be fair they were probably unaware of ice baths in those days. Now, throughout my life, in spite of my high level of fitness, I have suffered with debilitating fatigue and it is only recently that I have read that CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) can be triggered by dengue fever. Furthermore, I have another health problem; Paget's disease which I am convinced may also have been caused by dengue as there is no other time that I have had such a fever and I believe it is caused by fever.

Comment from: Afsy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently had a severe dengue attack and was in the hospital for about 10 days. It all started with high grade fever, loss of appetite, body pain and severe dizziness. I ignored it as the regular viral fever and sat on it for 3 days. I experienced (4th day) that all of the above symptoms were turning worse and unbearable. The pain, now excruciating, moved to the eye orbit and there were rashes. I couldn't stay upright. So I dragged myself out of bed and went for a blood test. There I was, a victim of the deadly dengue mosquito. But I got the right treatment and now am back to work, though fatigue, pain, light headedness and breathlessness remain a major area of problem. The doctor says, it'll take time to settle. I trust him.

Comment from: Gavin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

One morning I woke up with what felt like the world's worst hangover, I thought that I might just be dehydrated as it is very hot and humid where I live. However within 3 hours I was suffering from the most severe headache and pressure pain behind my eyes, my eyes also became sensitive to the sunlight. I had intense muscular pain in my upper chest and shoulder muscles, which I still have six weeks later. I endured high fever along with chills, my body temperature rose so high that my skin actually burned red. After about 5 days the head ache and eye pain subsided next came intense prickly skin with mild rash on my body. My platelet count dropped an average of 20000 per day; along with drinking huge amounts of water and eating only citrus fruit and taking 2 Tylenol every 4 hours and the sap of crushed papaya leaf did my condition improve.

Comment from: Avos1993, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I had Dengue fever three times in 2012. All three times were while I was living in Singapore. The first time I had it was in March of 2012 and I wasn't properly diagnosed until after it was over. I thought it was horrible then but I had no idea. In October of 2012 I got it again. I went to school on a Monday morning and began to feel feverish. I went to the nurse and found I had a 103 fever. The next 5 days were pure hell. I lost my appetite, couldn't walk, talk, eat or even drink water. The pain behind my eyes and the pain in my joints were excruciating to say the least. In the first three days my fever got up to 105.3 but on the 6th day my fever went away and I felt much better, so the next day I went to school. It was a big mistake! About 3 periods into the day, my face felt like I had a raging sunburn and before long my skin starting peeling off. That night the rash started and I was so dehydrated I went to the hospital. My blood platelet level had dropped from about 140,000 on the first day to just over 32,000 (in Singapore they give blood transfusions at about 25,000). The pain was so bad I passed out many times. Two days later, the rash started going down and I started getting better. The third time I had it was in late November. I was much like the second time but about 5 times worse. I definitely thought I was a goner. Dengue is terrible, that is all.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?