Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?

Comment from: Claudia, Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had gone to Mobile, Alabama in November and the day after I returned I woke up with nausea and vomiting, and about an hour later I started running a fever which lasted 10 days. After 4 days of fever between 102 and 104, I went to the emergency room (ER). Blood test came back as positive for dengue fever. Doctors were very confused, because I did not travel outside of the country and was not around anyone who had recently traveled outside of the country. Of note, I am a nurse in an oncology office, maybe contacted it through a patient. Also of note I have had recurrent chronic familiar pericarditis since age 13.

Comment from: YS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I suddenly developed a high fever 4 days after returning from a 3 week holiday in Thailand. After 4 days of high fever and the most severe headache I'd ever had in my life, I ended up going to the hospital because I couldn't keep any fluids down at all. I stayed for 5 days. Platelet count and WBC are low but not dangerously low. If I didn't have a headache, then I had horrible muscle pains in my legs. Joint pain was not really an issue. But the severe headache just behind my eyes was the worst of all. I never felt so bad. Now 2 weeks later, I still get a low grade fever (38 C) if I don't take acetaminophen every 6 hours. And I am very tired still. I lost weight, not much of an appetite and have no desire for alcohol. I hope recovery doesn't take too long.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

On day 6 of a 7 day holiday in Bali, I began feeling off. I couldn't eat dinner that night and returned to our motel room. Then it hit. Excruciating headaches, nausea, fever and terrible back and hip pain. A doctor was called who took blood tests and administered IV fluids. I don't know how my husband got me home on a 9 hour flight the next night, it's all a blur. Ended up being admitted to hospital as platelets dropped to 51 because of the dengue fever. I had chronic diarrhea for 7 days, vomiting for 3, and lost 9 kg in as many days. I had red face, hands and feet, and itching but not much of a rash. This all lasted about 8 days before I started to improve. Four weeks on and I'm still not back at work. I'm suffering from terrible fatigue, jelly legs, and mild but regular headaches.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I got dengue fever last week, the first day I had severe headache and pain all around my joints and bones, high fever, extreme weakness, but my platelets were in normal ranges. Doctor said I must drink plenty of water and take only Panadol. The fever lasted 5 days and during this period I was not able to eat or drink, I never felt so sick like this, now the worst part is over and I am eating gradually but the recovery is very slow, I get tired easily and also had itching skin, which is now improving.

Comment from: Lekshmi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had dengue this year, I'm 20. I thought my fever was just a normal viral fever or something, but at the end of 9 days I didn't even have the strength to sit on the back of my car. I couldn't eat a thing. I had red rashes on my face. I am a medical student and had to give my main exams during this time. These symptoms prompted me to consult a doctor who diagnosed me with dengue. I was admitted to the hospital. I was put on glucose IV and lots of symptomatological treatments (antipyretics to lower my temperature and medications to increase my platelet count). My platelet count kept falling and I had low blood pressure. I didn't even talk a single word for 5 days, I was so weak. I couldn't eat, all I did was be on the bed. After 5 days my platelets started rising and I was getting stronger. The doctor advised me to eat good food but now the infection has made my immunity so weak that I have had 4 episodes of food poisoning and 5 of urinary tract infections (UTIs) in just 6 months.

Comment from: Azura, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am still recovering from dengue. Today is the 9th day (counting from the 1st day I had a sudden high fever). I don"t have rashes but I feel nauseous all the time and my whole body was painful (joint, muscle, back of the eyes and head, a very terrible headache). My platelet was not that low (still above 100) but white blood cell count was at 2.1 and remained around that figure until yesterday (8th day) when it suddenly went up to 5.8. Platelet also went up to 166. I had the worst fever ever. I"m still very lethargic. I can"t eat at all since the 1st day but I did drink lots of Gatorade and coconut water as well as other fruit juices and yogurt drinks. I totally depend on these liquids to fuel me.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?