Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: Johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I contracted dengue fever in Townsville, Queensland. My first symptoms appeared on New Year's Eve 2010; fever, headache behind the eyes, lethargy and malaise, followed a few days later by a rash to the hands and feet. I got my diagnosis a couple of weeks later. For the next year I suffered from brain fog, arthritic pain in my hands and feet, muscle soreness, chronic headaches, chronic lethargy and tiredness, insomnia, and also difficulties finding the right words sometimes. Medical tests revealed nothing of significance. I sought help from alternative practitioners and found slight relief from an anti-inflammatory diet, reducing carbs and sugars from my diet. I also had my amalgam fillings removed to see if that helped. Four years later and my brain fog has improved. I still have chronic fatigue, but this too has moderately improved. I also still get arthritic pains in my limbs, though again this has improved. My cognitive abilities have also improved but they are not the same as before, and I feel my memory is significantly impaired. My symptoms worsen when I have infections, colds or flu vaccinations, etc. It's been a long road to recovery, made more difficult because outwardly I appear normal to my friends and family, but I am still aware that I am not as well physically or cognitively than before I contracted the virus. I have also suffered from low mood, possibly associated with my lack of energy, chronic fatigue and other symptoms. I have heard that cholecystitis is associated with post dengue syndrome, and I had my gall bladder removed last year when gallstone were found in an ultrasound test. Four years on and life is better, but I still live with the legacy of D\dengue fever.

Comment from: Wagne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I arrived in Bali on 18th March 2015. I had mosquito bites on the 21st March 2015. I woke on 23rd march 2015 with night sweats. On 23rd March I had loss of appetite. On 24th March everything seemed back to normal well and no sweats. On 29th March fever started and I was lethargic. I had night chills and head ache and was admitted to the hospital. They advised it was dengue fever. On 31st March I was back in Australia with high temperature, night sweats, coughing, sore stomach and rash like carpet burn on chest type sore. On 7th April I was diagnosed with dengue. Fevers still lasting and headaches and lethargy till 22nd April.

Comment from: liyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was first infected with dengue fever 5 months ago. It was a terrible experience and I had a terrible itch towards the recovery process, which was so unbearable that I had to put my feet in ice. I was discharged after 6 days and had problem to sleep even though they gave me sleeping pills. The doctor even asked to change my room because he thought maybe there's a ghost in the room which I knew he was joking, but still I could not sleep. When I was back at home the same problem was bugging me, I only managed to sleep properly after 2 weeks. Sometimes I will wake up because of feeling really breathless. Maybe different people will have different symptoms.

Comment from: TexPat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

In 1989, while teaching at a university in China I became very ill and was diagnosed with dengue fever. I experience several days of very high fever and hurt so bad that I wanted to die. I took only aspirin to reduce fever and pain. In the 2 or 3 years following I experienced occasional night chills and sweats. Otherwise, I don't feel that I have any long term side effects and consider myself to be in excellent health.

Comment from: Krishnamurthy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

After getting drenched in rain one evening, I felt wobbly next morning. My family physician noted my blood pressure (BP) was 90/70 and prescribed a multivitamin tablet. The next day it got worse and I could hardly walk. My doctor found my BP 70/50. He advised me to immediately go to a hospital. I was admitted soon and was in the hospital with dengue fever for three days with continuous drips. My platelet count was down to 10000. My fellow patient at the hospital told me to squeeze papaya leaves and drink the extract in empty stomach and also eat lot of pomegranate fruits. My platelet count went up to 260000 in three days when I followed his suggestion. Now, after three weeks excepting for a little pain all over the body, I am normal.

Comment from: Claudia, Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had gone to Mobile, Alabama in November and the day after I returned I woke up with nausea and vomiting, and about an hour later I started running a fever which lasted 10 days. After 4 days of fever between 102 and 104, I went to the emergency room (ER). Blood test came back as positive for dengue fever. Doctors were very confused, because I did not travel outside of the country and was not around anyone who had recently traveled outside of the country. Of note, I am a nurse in an oncology office, maybe contacted it through a patient. Also of note I have had recurrent chronic familiar pericarditis since age 13.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?