Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Comment from: Uma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

In August I contracted flu like illness and I took paracetamol (acetaminophen). I then had mild sore throat and congestion. I visited a physician who said it was some self-limiting viral diseases and gave me vitamin C. Then I started getting mild chills but no overt fever. Then on August 9th I started getting 102 -103 degree fever, chills and diarrhea. I got tested by another physician and tested positive for dengue NS1. I was admitted to the hospital and placed on drips and antibiotics. My platelet count did not go down below normal, but I developed severe leucopenia, abnormal lymphocytes and slightly elevated SGPT and SGOT. I was discharged after 2 days. I was very weak after discharge, and also developed hypertension and tachycardia. It has been over 1 month now, I recently have started showing some mild symptoms and I don't know what to make of it.

Comment from: Burcu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm currently experiencing dengue fever. This is my fifth day and I feel like it will last another 5 days. It started with a high-fever attack, twice in one night. One minute I was okay and the next minute I was shaking and getting chills. I vomited only once but nausea is always there especially in the mornings and at nights. On the second day I was extremely weak, had difficulty breathing but had no body pain or headache. Third day I was diagnosed with dengue, so started taking one IV per day, 4 packs of electral, lots of juice and fruit. The platelet count dropped for the first 3 days but it is increasing on the 5th day. Even though I don't have very visible red rash (I have on my face and chest), my body is itching all over like crazy. Itching started on the second day lightly on my feet and soles, and also hands and spread all over my body. The doctor prescribed some powerful antihistamines to relieve the itching. Finally my appetite is going down but I force myself to eat and drink as much as I can.

Comment from: saiini, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

Everybody has a problem of high fever in dengue but mine was different. I had fever only one day and the next day I went for tests and came to know that it was dengue. I didn't have fever again but I had problems like slight pain in my kidney and also loose motions and blood in stool. I was really confused that that I had no fever; I was taking it lightly but my condition got worse day by day. I have nausea and breathing problems and I'm in a hospital for treatment now.

Comment from: Barbara St. Juste, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 24

I live in US Virgin Islands. I'm a RN & we have been having increased patients positive for dengue virus(DV). I have severe osteoarthritis, diabetic neuropathy & fibromyalgia so I didn't connect my s/s with DV. I had a continuous headache with joint pain so severe I couldn't get out of bed without someone to help and support me. I became anorexic due to nausea & vomiting. Palms/Feet beet red. Fever 102.0 so my family Dr. Sent me to ER and March 11, 2013 labs showed DV titer + @ 7.9 (very high) with hemoglobin 8.6 (very low) hematocrit 23 (very low) platelets 90 (very low) next day dropped to 45 (dangerous) very fine rash started on cheeks then disappeared to reappear on arms and chest only. June 29,2013 DV tiger still +. All signs and symptoms subsided except joint/bone pain and exhaustion. Hopefully will continue to strengthen.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I am just getting over Dengue which I got in South India or Thailand. I had a rash on my arms that alerted me. Next I knew I had a 105 temp (41 c) for 3-4 days and extremely intense joint and muscle pain. This makes it nearly impossible to sleep so you become quite delirious. Then came blood in stool (GI Bleeding) - and complete loss of appetite. I was put on IV - but still lost about 10 lbs (5kg). I didn't experience nausea, but a horrible rash came on that is itchy and painful and makes it difficult to sleep. I'm about 3 days into the rash which the doctors indicate is the final phase of the illness. I am feeling very weak and exhausted.

Published: July 28

I spent the summer of 1978 serving a summer missionary internship working in a children's hospital in Haiti, West Indies. I must have been bitten by a carrier of Dengue because I became quite sick within about a week of returning to my home in Dallas. I had a slight rash, low grade fever, petechiae, and terrible, terrible pain. I was quite ill for about two weeks, not even able to get out of bed! I was basically given Valium by my internist because there was no treatment and he determined that the Valium would at least keep me from struggling with the terrible pain. Interestingly, I have immune problems (which may have made me a "target" for the illness) and I also developed significant fibromyalgia within a short tine after recovering from Dengue. I have no idea if there is a relationship between the two, but the coincidence is certainly interesting.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?