Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: liyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was first infected with dengue fever 5 months ago. It was a terrible experience and I had a terrible itch towards the recovery process, which was so unbearable that I had to put my feet in ice. I was discharged after 6 days and had problem to sleep even though they gave me sleeping pills. The doctor even asked to change my room because he thought maybe there's a ghost in the room which I knew he was joking, but still I could not sleep. When I was back at home the same problem was bugging me, I only managed to sleep properly after 2 weeks. Sometimes I will wake up because of feeling really breathless. Maybe different people will have different symptoms.

Comment from: TexPat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

In 1989, while teaching at a university in China I became very ill and was diagnosed with dengue fever. I experience several days of very high fever and hurt so bad that I wanted to die. I took only aspirin to reduce fever and pain. In the 2 or 3 years following I experienced occasional night chills and sweats. Otherwise, I don't feel that I have any long term side effects and consider myself to be in excellent health.

Comment from: Krishnamurthy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

After getting drenched in rain one evening, I felt wobbly next morning. My family physician noted my blood pressure (BP) was 90/70 and prescribed a multivitamin tablet. The next day it got worse and I could hardly walk. My doctor found my BP 70/50. He advised me to immediately go to a hospital. I was admitted soon and was in the hospital with dengue fever for three days with continuous drips. My platelet count was down to 10000. My fellow patient at the hospital told me to squeeze papaya leaves and drink the extract in empty stomach and also eat lot of pomegranate fruits. My platelet count went up to 260000 in three days when I followed his suggestion. Now, after three weeks excepting for a little pain all over the body, I am normal.

Comment from: Claudia, Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had gone to Mobile, Alabama in November and the day after I returned I woke up with nausea and vomiting, and about an hour later I started running a fever which lasted 10 days. After 4 days of fever between 102 and 104, I went to the emergency room (ER). Blood test came back as positive for dengue fever. Doctors were very confused, because I did not travel outside of the country and was not around anyone who had recently traveled outside of the country. Of note, I am a nurse in an oncology office, maybe contacted it through a patient. Also of note I have had recurrent chronic familiar pericarditis since age 13.

Comment from: YS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I suddenly developed a high fever 4 days after returning from a 3 week holiday in Thailand. After 4 days of high fever and the most severe headache I'd ever had in my life, I ended up going to the hospital because I couldn't keep any fluids down at all. I stayed for 5 days. Platelet count and WBC are low but not dangerously low. If I didn't have a headache, then I had horrible muscle pains in my legs. Joint pain was not really an issue. But the severe headache just behind my eyes was the worst of all. I never felt so bad. Now 2 weeks later, I still get a low grade fever (38 C) if I don't take acetaminophen every 6 hours. And I am very tired still. I lost weight, not much of an appetite and have no desire for alcohol. I hope recovery doesn't take too long.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

On day 6 of a 7 day holiday in Bali, I began feeling off. I couldn't eat dinner that night and returned to our motel room. Then it hit. Excruciating headaches, nausea, fever and terrible back and hip pain. A doctor was called who took blood tests and administered IV fluids. I don't know how my husband got me home on a 9 hour flight the next night, it's all a blur. Ended up being admitted to hospital as platelets dropped to 51 because of the dengue fever. I had chronic diarrhea for 7 days, vomiting for 3, and lost 9 kg in as many days. I had red face, hands and feet, and itching but not much of a rash. This all lasted about 8 days before I started to improve. Four weeks on and I'm still not back at work. I'm suffering from terrible fatigue, jelly legs, and mild but regular headaches.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I got dengue fever last week, the first day I had severe headache and pain all around my joints and bones, high fever, extreme weakness, but my platelets were in normal ranges. Doctor said I must drink plenty of water and take only Panadol. The fever lasted 5 days and during this period I was not able to eat or drink, I never felt so sick like this, now the worst part is over and I am eating gradually but the recovery is very slow, I get tired easily and also had itching skin, which is now improving.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?