Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: shanksin24, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I suffered from high fever (103 to 104 degrees) on 25th October. On 26th I visited my doctor who immediately suggested blood tests for dengue. On 27th dengue was confirmed. Platelet count was 174000 on 27th and it came down to 40000 on 31st October. On 3rd November it increased to 208000 but again came down to 74000 on 7th November. I am feeling very weak. In the first week mouth ulcer appeared with swollen gums and painful teeth. Ulcer remains although cured up to 80 percent. I returned to work on 7th November although feeling very weak and have disorientation in movement.

Comment from: Live-evil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I got dengue on 29 Sept 2016. I actually saw the bug which bit me. For a week I had body fatigue and no fever though. I thought it was due to work, but on the 7th day I had 105 fever and I got admitted in hospital on 4th October. I was constantly on fluids. I was mobile throughout, but after the fever subsided, I started having pain in my palm, feet and ankle. I have a small blister on my tongue and my stamina is draining out due to constant pain being registered by my mind. Once the body is into its daily work, the pain gets ignored and work continues. But sleep is not enough due to pain and while rising in the morning all the pain returns as the mind has nothing else to think about. It is almost a month. Good health to all of you.

Comment from: Sam, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I recently moved to Costa Rica. One morning after three weeks of being there I got up and suddenly felt very tired and had to sit down. Within a few hours I was getting chills and was extremely weak. The fever got worse and I had a severe headache, as well aches and pain in my joints. By the third day my fever was even higher and I was confined to my bed unable to focus on any task. I was lucky that my wife suspected that it was dengue and started me on a 'dengue shake' made up of 1 medium fresh papaya leaf, about 10 black grapes, 10 raw almonds, juice of two oranges and a teaspoon of raw honey all blended together and gave me every morning. She also gave me echinacea and a multi vitamin. All this helped and by day five my fever was gone but I still felt weak and I had extreme night sweating, so bad that I would wake up in the middle of the night with my sheets all drenched with sweat; and I mean really wet. On day eight and after the second blood test which showed that my platelets where back up to 120,000 from 76,000 I started to feel much better. I did get itchy feet and hands but luckily no rash. I did also lose a lot of weight.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My symptoms of dengue started 7 days ago with severe body aches and a dull fever lasting 2 days. On day 3 it went away only to return on day 4 with higher intensity and fever was high with extreme chills, body ache, fatigue (limbs felt like lead) and headache. My platelet count on day 4 was 191000. I started drinking raw papaya leaf extract. On day 5 and 6 the symptoms persisted but did not get worse, although I developed itchiness in hands and feet, nausea and diarrhea. It is now day 7, I am going to get another blood test, but all in all, I feel slightly better. I think it's the papaya leaf.

Comment from: HelloWorld_2015, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

One of my close relatives got fever one fine day with headache, vomiting and chills. He was shown to the doctor, and the doctor said it was some food poisoning and fever. After taking the prescribed medicines also fever and other symptoms persisted. Actually, condition started worsening. We went to the doctor again where seeing the condition they admitted him. Then, dengue test was also done where report showed negative. But still his condition was getting worse. They thought liver damage. Then again a senior doctor asked to redo dengue test after 3 more days, and this time it was positive with very low blood count, confusion in patient, vomiting, and even lungs were affected. He became very serious and doctors were also losing hope. Then we shifted him to another hospital in where he was on ventilator for some 17 days. Finally doctors thought of doing plasma therapy which worked and his condition improved. After that for a few days he was on some vitamins and other food supplements, lots of fluids, including physiotherapy as pain was there. Now, he is absolutely fine. But, it was dangerous hemorrhagic dengue fever from which those doctors helped him survive. Big thanks to them. But in the initial stage it is always suggested to have more and more fluids, how much ever you can take.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?