Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?

Comment from: dastoger, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

With dengue, first I had a bad headache, felt so weak and I thought I was near about to lose my eye power. After that I had a huge rash on my skin. My platelet count went to 185000. I used to take orange, coconut, apple and many kinds of juice. Skin exfoliation disease was seen on my body.

Comment from: sonia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was in India for 15 days break, and on 28th October evening I suddenly started feeling pain in my wrist and shoulder joints but everyone said perhaps it was because of tiredness, so I ignored it. Next day my condition got worse still and I dragged myself changing one flight after another and reached back home. I visited a doctor who said the signs were of dengue but blood report will confirm the same. The blood report says it is classical dengue. My legs are all swollen, I am tired very soon and feel weak all the time. I am taking medication for 2 weeks now. Thankfully my platelet count is fine, but my energy level is gone down and I don't know how dengue gave me extra weight.

Comment from: naveedanjum, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I suffered from dengue fever. It started with cold and high fever and later on bad stomach and loose motions. I spent 1 week in hospital and my platelets count dropped very quickly. My doctor gave me 2 transfusions for platelets as they were going down. After fever went away and platelets started to increase doctor discharged me from hospital. I must say it is really a bad experience.

Comment from: killua, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

First day I started to get chill and headache with slight body pain followed by fever. The first lasted for 3 days and I was normal for 1 day and second fever started from fifth day. So I drank 10 to 12 liters water per day. Now the dengue fever is gone but as soon as fever stopped, rashes started from my palm of my hands covering entire body. I don't know what is going on, my platelet count is dropping rapidly but there is no sign of fever except rashes.

Comment from: Wagne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I arrived in Bali on 18th March 2015. I had mosquito bites on the 21st March 2015. I woke on 23rd march 2015 with night sweats. On 23rd March I had loss of appetite. On 24th March everything seemed back to normal well and no sweats. On 29th March fever started and I was lethargic. I had night chills and head ache and was admitted to the hospital. They advised it was dengue fever. On 31st March I was back in Australia with high temperature, night sweats, coughing, sore stomach and rash like carpet burn on chest type sore. On 7th April I was diagnosed with dengue. Fevers still lasting and headaches and lethargy till 22nd April.

Comment from: liyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was first infected with dengue fever 5 months ago. It was a terrible experience and I had a terrible itch towards the recovery process, which was so unbearable that I had to put my feet in ice. I was discharged after 6 days and had problem to sleep even though they gave me sleeping pills. The doctor even asked to change my room because he thought maybe there's a ghost in the room which I knew he was joking, but still I could not sleep. When I was back at home the same problem was bugging me, I only managed to sleep properly after 2 weeks. Sometimes I will wake up because of feeling really breathless. Maybe different people will have different symptoms.

Comment from: TexPat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

In 1989, while teaching at a university in China I became very ill and was diagnosed with dengue fever. I experience several days of very high fever and hurt so bad that I wanted to die. I took only aspirin to reduce fever and pain. In the 2 or 3 years following I experienced occasional night chills and sweats. Otherwise, I don't feel that I have any long term side effects and consider myself to be in excellent health.

Comment from: Krishnamurthy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

After getting drenched in rain one evening, I felt wobbly next morning. My family physician noted my blood pressure (BP) was 90/70 and prescribed a multivitamin tablet. The next day it got worse and I could hardly walk. My doctor found my BP 70/50. He advised me to immediately go to a hospital. I was admitted soon and was in the hospital with dengue fever for three days with continuous drips. My platelet count was down to 10000. My fellow patient at the hospital told me to squeeze papaya leaves and drink the extract in empty stomach and also eat lot of pomegranate fruits. My platelet count went up to 260000 in three days when I followed his suggestion. Now, after three weeks excepting for a little pain all over the body, I am normal.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?