Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: wecelli, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

First I felt a bit dizzy when I got dengue. Next day my joints were aching and I had a bit of a headache. Next day fever, chills, aches, worst headache ever! The same for 6 days, then today 1/18/2015, I have less pain, but I am exhausted. I tried papaya leaf juice, 2 tbsp. 3 times a day. I live on the Big Island where we have had an outbreak so no trouble getting the leaves. I really don't think it helped me, but may help others. Best was Motrin and lots of water and sleep. I have been sleeping 10 to 11 hours a night. Use mosquito repellent if dengue is in your area!

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I live in Jamaica and became ill on Christmas Eve. Although I had been feeling tired and a bit out of it, the symptoms set on very quickly. I started feeling shivery and an hour later I was in bed with high fever. I had drenching night sweats for several days and fever was spiking up and down, highest at 39.6 Celsius. I had pain all over but especially in the legs and had a severe headache continuously for several days. I also felt very weak. I was better on Monday and went to work but felt like a train wreck by evening. I woke up next morning covered with rash from neck to ankles (mainly on upper torso, where there had been a minor rash before). I went to the doctor and had blood tests done, which subsequently confirmed dengue. I was on sick leave for another week although not as ill as before, with only low grade fever, but itching was a new problem. I am still feeling tired but gradually recovering. One symptom was that I was extremely thirsty. I drank up to 5 liters of water on my worst days and still felt dehydrated. I took paracetamol and anti-histamine tablets while symptoms were active. The latter was prescribed. I will certainly be more careful about mosquito protection going forward, especially with Zika virus now appearing in the Caribbean. I had chikungunya in 2014.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had 3 weeks flat on my back with 2nd time dengue in two years, I can attest the 2nd time is far worse! I've been bedridden for 3 weeks, unable to eat, lost 4 kg in 2 weeks, wished I was dead at times, and don't remember some days! I have bleeding eyes, nose, gums, and rectum! I have diarrhea, vomiting, fever, etc. I'm feeling a wee bit better and went to work today, but still suffering shortness of breath, chest pain, sometimes fever, weakness, and depression. My blood pressure is all over the place from extremely high to extremely low within an hour. My skin on palms, feet and face is bright red and agonizingly itchy and feet and lower legs have flaking skin. My liver is tender, I have no appetite because everything tastes metallic or nothing. I am living on protein supplements, vitamins, pawpaw leaf juice, and electrolyte replacement! I don't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: shanksin24, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I suffered from high fever (103 to 104 degrees) on 25th October. On 26th I visited my doctor who immediately suggested blood tests for dengue. On 27th dengue was confirmed. Platelet count was 174000 on 27th and it came down to 40000 on 31st October. On 3rd November it increased to 208000 but again came down to 74000 on 7th November. I am feeling very weak. In the first week mouth ulcer appeared with swollen gums and painful teeth. Ulcer remains although cured up to 80 percent. I returned to work on 7th November although feeling very weak and have disorientation in movement.

Comment from: Live-evil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I got dengue on 29 Sept 2016. I actually saw the bug which bit me. For a week I had body fatigue and no fever though. I thought it was due to work, but on the 7th day I had 105 fever and I got admitted in hospital on 4th October. I was constantly on fluids. I was mobile throughout, but after the fever subsided, I started having pain in my palm, feet and ankle. I have a small blister on my tongue and my stamina is draining out due to constant pain being registered by my mind. Once the body is into its daily work, the pain gets ignored and work continues. But sleep is not enough due to pain and while rising in the morning all the pain returns as the mind has nothing else to think about. It is almost a month. Good health to all of you.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?