Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: Sam, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I recently moved to Costa Rica. One morning after three weeks of being there I got up and suddenly felt very tired and had to sit down. Within a few hours I was getting chills and was extremely weak. The fever got worse and I had a severe headache, as well aches and pain in my joints. By the third day my fever was even higher and I was confined to my bed unable to focus on any task. I was lucky that my wife suspected that it was dengue and started me on a 'dengue shake' made up of 1 medium fresh papaya leaf, about 10 black grapes, 10 raw almonds, juice of two oranges and a teaspoon of raw honey all blended together and gave me every morning. She also gave me echinacea and a multi vitamin. All this helped and by day five my fever was gone but I still felt weak and I had extreme night sweating, so bad that I would wake up in the middle of the night with my sheets all drenched with sweat; and I mean really wet. On day eight and after the second blood test which showed that my platelets where back up to 120,000 from 76,000 I started to feel much better. I did get itchy feet and hands but luckily no rash. I did also lose a lot of weight.

Comment from: Mum456, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was 5 years old when I had dengue. I remember feeling very sleepy. My sisters joked that I was normally like that so no one took notice till I developed rashes. My pediatric doctor told my mom to rush me to the hospital. I was so lethargic that the needle didn't feel that painful. They had to transfuse blood.

Comment from: country, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I contracted dengue fever while vacation in N. Vietnam.

Comment from: Denis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

It is now Jan 21st, 2016 and I got dengue in Mexico late in November 2015. Pain in my feet, ankles, fingers, and knee are really bad in the morning. It takes a minute to get out of bed in the morning and actually put pressure on my feet to walk. Every morning I shuffle and stagger to the coffee machine for my cup of coffee. By about noon each day, the pain subsides and I start to feel fairly normal again; until the next morning, when I repeat the process all over again. I am wondering when it will just go way and I can actually play golf in the morning like I used to!

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My symptoms of dengue started 7 days ago with severe body aches and a dull fever lasting 2 days. On day 3 it went away only to return on day 4 with higher intensity and fever was high with extreme chills, body ache, fatigue (limbs felt like lead) and headache. My platelet count on day 4 was 191000. I started drinking raw papaya leaf extract. On day 5 and 6 the symptoms persisted but did not get worse, although I developed itchiness in hands and feet, nausea and diarrhea. It is now day 7, I am going to get another blood test, but all in all, I feel slightly better. I think it's the papaya leaf.

Comment from: HelloWorld_2015, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

One of my close relatives got fever one fine day with headache, vomiting and chills. He was shown to the doctor, and the doctor said it was some food poisoning and fever. After taking the prescribed medicines also fever and other symptoms persisted. Actually, condition started worsening. We went to the doctor again where seeing the condition they admitted him. Then, dengue test was also done where report showed negative. But still his condition was getting worse. They thought liver damage. Then again a senior doctor asked to redo dengue test after 3 more days, and this time it was positive with very low blood count, confusion in patient, vomiting, and even lungs were affected. He became very serious and doctors were also losing hope. Then we shifted him to another hospital in where he was on ventilator for some 17 days. Finally doctors thought of doing plasma therapy which worked and his condition improved. After that for a few days he was on some vitamins and other food supplements, lots of fluids, including physiotherapy as pain was there. Now, he is absolutely fine. But, it was dangerous hemorrhagic dengue fever from which those doctors helped him survive. Big thanks to them. But in the initial stage it is always suggested to have more and more fluids, how much ever you can take.

Comment from: Sophia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I want to share my post dengue after effects. I contracted dengue at the end of March 2015 and it lasted 9 days with most of the typical symptoms described (blood platelets went down to 55,000, red spots on my lower legs, muscle pain, itching palms and feet, extreme fatigue, and food tasted like metal on day 8 and 9). Once I recovered I had to get a body scrub several times to exfoliate the excessive dry skin on my entire body. The skin flaked constantly. Both of my feet peeled entirely. Now it is the beginning of August and I still feel muscle pain in my legs and near my hips.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?