Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What, if any, were the prevention steps you took, as there is no vaccine?

Comment from: Wagne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I arrived in Bali on 18th March 2015. I had mosquito bites on the 21st March 2015. I woke on 23rd march 2015 with night sweats. On 23rd March I had loss of appetite. On 24th March everything seemed back to normal well and no sweats. On 29th March fever started and I was lethargic. I had night chills and head ache and was admitted to the hospital. They advised it was dengue fever. On 31st March I was back in Australia with high temperature, night sweats, coughing, sore stomach and rash like carpet burn on chest type sore. On 7th April I was diagnosed with dengue. Fevers still lasting and headaches and lethargy till 22nd April.

Comment from: melfunctions, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

It is now some four months since I was infected with dengue in Bali, I had the most severe symptoms consistent with the posts of others. The skin loss and change was very dramatic, hands and feet shed massive amounts of skin which was tough and weathered but now it is like a baby's skin. The other problem I now have is the aches and pain in my back and limbs; these are still severe and a problem that I hope will go away with time. I certainly had a severe dose as when I was in hospital my back and legs ached so much I could not sleep. I think that this is why I am still having problems.

Comment from: danie31, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

My husband has all the symptoms of dengue. I am going tomorrow to buy goldenseal. We are also going to the doctor again. The doctor here said it was 'just a rash,' and sent him home with cortisone cream, but his condition is worsening day by day.

Comment from: liyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was first infected with dengue fever 5 months ago. It was a terrible experience and I had a terrible itch towards the recovery process, which was so unbearable that I had to put my feet in ice. I was discharged after 6 days and had problem to sleep even though they gave me sleeping pills. The doctor even asked to change my room because he thought maybe there's a ghost in the room which I knew he was joking, but still I could not sleep. When I was back at home the same problem was bugging me, I only managed to sleep properly after 2 weeks. Sometimes I will wake up because of feeling really breathless. Maybe different people will have different symptoms.

Comment from: TexPat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

In 1989, while teaching at a university in China I became very ill and was diagnosed with dengue fever. I experience several days of very high fever and hurt so bad that I wanted to die. I took only aspirin to reduce fever and pain. In the 2 or 3 years following I experienced occasional night chills and sweats. Otherwise, I don't feel that I have any long term side effects and consider myself to be in excellent health.

Comment from: Krishnamurthy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

After getting drenched in rain one evening, I felt wobbly next morning. My family physician noted my blood pressure (BP) was 90/70 and prescribed a multivitamin tablet. The next day it got worse and I could hardly walk. My doctor found my BP 70/50. He advised me to immediately go to a hospital. I was admitted soon and was in the hospital with dengue fever for three days with continuous drips. My platelet count was down to 10000. My fellow patient at the hospital told me to squeeze papaya leaves and drink the extract in empty stomach and also eat lot of pomegranate fruits. My platelet count went up to 260000 in three days when I followed his suggestion. Now, after three weeks excepting for a little pain all over the body, I am normal.

Comment from: Claudia, Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had gone to Mobile, Alabama in November and the day after I returned I woke up with nausea and vomiting, and about an hour later I started running a fever which lasted 10 days. After 4 days of fever between 102 and 104, I went to the emergency room (ER). Blood test came back as positive for dengue fever. Doctors were very confused, because I did not travel outside of the country and was not around anyone who had recently traveled outside of the country. Of note, I am a nurse in an oncology office, maybe contacted it through a patient. Also of note I have had recurrent chronic familiar pericarditis since age 13.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?