Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: wecelli, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

First I felt a bit dizzy when I got dengue. Next day my joints were aching and I had a bit of a headache. Next day fever, chills, aches, worst headache ever! The same for 6 days, then today 1/18/2015, I have less pain, but I am exhausted. I tried papaya leaf juice, 2 tbsp. 3 times a day. I live on the Big Island where we have had an outbreak so no trouble getting the leaves. I really don't think it helped me, but may help others. Best was Motrin and lots of water and sleep. I have been sleeping 10 to 11 hours a night. Use mosquito repellent if dengue is in your area!

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I live in Jamaica and became ill on Christmas Eve. Although I had been feeling tired and a bit out of it, the symptoms set on very quickly. I started feeling shivery and an hour later I was in bed with high fever. I had drenching night sweats for several days and fever was spiking up and down, highest at 39.6 Celsius. I had pain all over but especially in the legs and had a severe headache continuously for several days. I also felt very weak. I was better on Monday and went to work but felt like a train wreck by evening. I woke up next morning covered with rash from neck to ankles (mainly on upper torso, where there had been a minor rash before). I went to the doctor and had blood tests done, which subsequently confirmed dengue. I was on sick leave for another week although not as ill as before, with only low grade fever, but itching was a new problem. I am still feeling tired but gradually recovering. One symptom was that I was extremely thirsty. I drank up to 5 liters of water on my worst days and still felt dehydrated. I took paracetamol and anti-histamine tablets while symptoms were active. The latter was prescribed. I will certainly be more careful about mosquito protection going forward, especially with Zika virus now appearing in the Caribbean. I had chikungunya in 2014.

Comment from: Dr-Udayachandran Thampy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

First I was having cough and cold and I went to the hospital and took antibiotics. One night I got fever 102. I took 3 doses of Meftal and next evening my fever was gone. For a doubt I checked my blood, my count was fine with 2 lakhs but the doctor told me that I was in the beginning stages of dengue fever. Though I was not given any medication I had a lot of water, had healthy food and I took rest for 1 week. I realized that not to look for platelet count but rather drink plenty of water and have normal food and take rest, and dengue will go by its own. Only beware of mosquitoes also so that's it won't get transferred to others. Even your stress and tension will also decrease the platelet count so be happy, all will be well and everything will pass.

Comment from: Dr Pramod, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 08

Dengue is a mosquito-borne viral infection, fast emerging pandemic disease in many parts of the world, sometimes causing a potentially lethal complication. Dengue death is due to plasma leakage and not due to platelets. Up to 50 to 100 million infections are now estimated to occur annually in over 100 endemic countries. There is no specific treatment or vaccine available and mosquito control is the only strategy. Out of 28 days mosquito life, 10 days it remains in fresh water as larva and can easily be killed. It is difficult to kill adult mosquito by fogging and for fogging 95 percent diesel (causing pollution more than vehicles) and 5 percent malathion (endangers heart and lung patients, elders and children) are used. Dengue patient is the only source of virus and remains communicable for many days, which is spread by mosquito bite. Once infected mosquito is killed by fogging, next day surrounding mosquitos bite the dengue patient again and spread the dengue virus again. So dengue patient must be covered by mosquito net at hospital or home to prevent spread of virus by mosquito bite. Dengue mosquito can easily be controlled by various other sustainable, cost effective, eco-friendly innovative strategies like dengue free cooler, Agave americana (larvicidal herbal plant used in stagnant water), larvivorous fish used in large collection of water, and mosquito traps.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had 3 weeks flat on my back with 2nd time dengue in two years, I can attest the 2nd time is far worse! I've been bedridden for 3 weeks, unable to eat, lost 4 kg in 2 weeks, wished I was dead at times, and don't remember some days! I have bleeding eyes, nose, gums, and rectum! I have diarrhea, vomiting, fever, etc. I'm feeling a wee bit better and went to work today, but still suffering shortness of breath, chest pain, sometimes fever, weakness, and depression. My blood pressure is all over the place from extremely high to extremely low within an hour. My skin on palms, feet and face is bright red and agonizingly itchy and feet and lower legs have flaking skin. My liver is tender, I have no appetite because everything tastes metallic or nothing. I am living on protein supplements, vitamins, pawpaw leaf juice, and electrolyte replacement! I don't wish this on anyone.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?