Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever.

Comment from: goodboy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

This dengue fever has been my worst sickly experience. I got up feeling all broken, every joint, head, muscle and bone aching terribly. I could not stand or stoop without support. I walked like an aged person. The fever was extreme for the first three days but subsided. I had many CBC tests, platelets and WBC count falling low, but now slowly picking up once the fever and pain has gone. However I have itching all over the body. I used Alcolado to ease the itching. I don't wish this on any one.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had dengue in Queensland in the late 1980s. I was very sick and in a lot of pain for about a month, then quite unwell for the next 4 to 6 months, then just not myself and up and down for the rest of the year. I now have chronic fatigue syndrome or post viral fatigue syndrome (whatever you want to call it) from glandular fever/infectious mononucleosis and the fatigue and general aches and pains feel a lot like the latter part of my dengue episode. I believe this is a second bout of post viral fatigue for me, maybe I'm predisposed.

Comment from: Gavin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

One morning I woke up with what felt like the world's worst hangover, I thought that I might just be dehydrated as it is very hot and humid where I live. However within 3 hours I was suffering from the most severe headache and pressure pain behind my eyes, my eyes also became sensitive to the sunlight. I had intense muscular pain in my upper chest and shoulder muscles, which I still have six weeks later. I endured high fever along with chills, my body temperature rose so high that my skin actually burned red. After about 5 days the head ache and eye pain subsided next came intense prickly skin with mild rash on my body. My platelet count dropped an average of 20000 per day; along with drinking huge amounts of water and eating only citrus fruit and taking 2 Tylenol every 4 hours and the sap of crushed papaya leaf did my condition improve.

Comment from: Avos1993, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I had Dengue fever three times in 2012. All three times were while I was living in Singapore. The first time I had it was in March of 2012 and I wasn't properly diagnosed until after it was over. I thought it was horrible then but I had no idea. In October of 2012 I got it again. I went to school on a Monday morning and began to feel feverish. I went to the nurse and found I had a 103 fever. The next 5 days were pure hell. I lost my appetite, couldn't walk, talk, eat or even drink water. The pain behind my eyes and the pain in my joints were excruciating to say the least. In the first three days my fever got up to 105.3 but on the 6th day my fever went away and I felt much better, so the next day I went to school. It was a big mistake! About 3 periods into the day, my face felt like I had a raging sunburn and before long my skin starting peeling off. That night the rash started and I was so dehydrated I went to the hospital. My blood platelet level had dropped from about 140,000 on the first day to just over 32,000 (in Singapore they give blood transfusions at about 25,000). The pain was so bad I passed out many times. Two days later, the rash started going down and I started getting better. The third time I had it was in late November. I was much like the second time but about 5 times worse. I definitely thought I was a goner. Dengue is terrible, that is all.

Comment from: tobi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm from the Philippines and I have had dengue and I'm on the recovery stage right now. I'm still experiencing itchiness. This virus caused a lot of pain. It started on my lower back and joints. It felt like my head was cracking in pain, my eyes were heavy and painful. All I felt was pain; a lot of pain. I got admitted to the hospital and my fever ranged at 39-40 degree C for 3 days. I got chills that didn't let me sleep even a minute, I lost my appetite, my stool was watery and I vomited all food I ate.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with dengue in Colombia in December 2012. I now realize this was the second time I had dengue. The first time was in 1997 in Cambodia, when I became very ill for 2 to 3 days but thought at the time it was severe food poisoning or flu so it was not diagnosed. This second time, I felt very ill for 48 hours before going to hospital, intense pain behind the eyes, high fever and vomiting. I also lost sensation in my hands. Once I was admitted I felt better after two days on saline drip and painkillers, then I became worse, but the hospital discharged me after a week, saying my platelet count was fine. I spent two days in a hotel on the bathroom floor until I went back to hospital. I was admitted for another 2 weeks, as they were concerned my liver was not functioning. The migraine pain was incredible and I had vomiting. I had an MRI brain scan, as the pain in my head was incredible. They thought I may have an additional problem to the dengue so they had a camera down my stomach, as they could not stop the vomiting. The pain was intense. I also suffered from 'facial muscle spasms,' but I think this was caused from a drug that I should not have been given. After a total of 3 weeks in hospital, I had lost 15 kilos in weight. I could not walk, I was very weak and my brain would not function. A physiotherapist said he could tell the membrane around my head was inflamed. It took 2 months before I felt human again. Still 7 months on, if I do a lot of exercise I feel exhausted. My body does not like alcohol now.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: Since it's a virus, what type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?