Patient Comments: Dengue Fever - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dengue fever. What prevention steps did you take?

Comment from: Mum456, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was 5 years old when I had dengue. I remember feeling very sleepy. My sisters joked that I was normally like that so no one took notice till I developed rashes. My pediatric doctor told my mom to rush me to the hospital. I was so lethargic that the needle didn't feel that painful. They had to transfuse blood.

Comment from: country, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I contracted dengue fever while vacation in N. Vietnam.

Comment from: Denis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

It is now Jan 21st, 2016 and I got dengue in Mexico late in November 2015. Pain in my feet, ankles, fingers, and knee are really bad in the morning. It takes a minute to get out of bed in the morning and actually put pressure on my feet to walk. Every morning I shuffle and stagger to the coffee machine for my cup of coffee. By about noon each day, the pain subsides and I start to feel fairly normal again; until the next morning, when I repeat the process all over again. I am wondering when it will just go way and I can actually play golf in the morning like I used to!

Comment from: Sophia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I want to share my post dengue after effects. I contracted dengue at the end of March 2015 and it lasted 9 days with most of the typical symptoms described (blood platelets went down to 55,000, red spots on my lower legs, muscle pain, itching palms and feet, extreme fatigue, and food tasted like metal on day 8 and 9). Once I recovered I had to get a body scrub several times to exfoliate the excessive dry skin on my entire body. The skin flaked constantly. Both of my feet peeled entirely. Now it is the beginning of August and I still feel muscle pain in my legs and near my hips.

Comment from: Johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I contracted dengue fever in Townsville, Queensland. My first symptoms appeared on New Year's Eve 2010; fever, headache behind the eyes, lethargy and malaise, followed a few days later by a rash to the hands and feet. I got my diagnosis a couple of weeks later. For the next year I suffered from brain fog, arthritic pain in my hands and feet, muscle soreness, chronic headaches, chronic lethargy and tiredness, insomnia, and also difficulties finding the right words sometimes. Medical tests revealed nothing of significance. I sought help from alternative practitioners and found slight relief from an anti-inflammatory diet, reducing carbs and sugars from my diet. I also had my amalgam fillings removed to see if that helped. Four years later and my brain fog has improved. I still have chronic fatigue, but this too has moderately improved. I also still get arthritic pains in my limbs, though again this has improved. My cognitive abilities have also improved but they are not the same as before, and I feel my memory is significantly impaired. My symptoms worsen when I have infections, colds or flu vaccinations, etc. It's been a long road to recovery, made more difficult because outwardly I appear normal to my friends and family, but I am still aware that I am not as well physically or cognitively than before I contracted the virus. I have also suffered from low mood, possibly associated with my lack of energy, chronic fatigue and other symptoms. I have heard that cholecystitis is associated with post dengue syndrome, and I had my gall bladder removed last year when gallstone were found in an ultrasound test. Four years on and life is better, but I still live with the legacy of D\dengue fever.

Comment from: Wagne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I arrived in Bali on 18th March 2015. I had mosquito bites on the 21st March 2015. I woke on 23rd march 2015 with night sweats. On 23rd March I had loss of appetite. On 24th March everything seemed back to normal well and no sweats. On 29th March fever started and I was lethargic. I had night chills and head ache and was admitted to the hospital. They advised it was dengue fever. On 31st March I was back in Australia with high temperature, night sweats, coughing, sore stomach and rash like carpet burn on chest type sore. On 7th April I was diagnosed with dengue. Fevers still lasting and headaches and lethargy till 22nd April.

Dengue Fever - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?
Dengue Fever- Treatment Question: What type of treatment did you receive to relieve symptoms associated with dengue fever?