Patient Comments: Dementia - Risk Factors

Do you have risk factors for dementia?

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

Apparently my mother has dementia, which is a risk factor for me.

Comment from: cstance, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

My son and I moved in with my mother after she was in a bad car accident. She has since been diagnosed with vascular dementia. We used to be the best of friends but now she argues with me constantly. She says I am trying to take over her life. That I am always being involved in her issues. In a way, I have to. I go to her doctor's appointments with her and she hates that. She was told not to drive but does not listen. They wanted her to get tested to see how her skills as a driver were and she just told them no. I know that eventually I will have to be in charge of her legal issues but for now it is a source for arguments. She is always on my case now and threatening to kick me out. She tells me that I have no rights here and it is her house. I cannot imagine how hard this must be for her. I know that it is frightening for her as she always been a control freak. To lose control is her worst nightmare. But then she will argue and say that she would be so much happier in a nursing home. I know it would last about a week or so and then she would be unhappy. I have a lot of health issues too and she throws up anything she can at me. I lost my husband a year and a half ago and I am so unhappy here. So is she and so is my son. But I know basically I am doing the right thing and trying to help as much as I can. I try constantly to not get up in arguments but she is very good at baiting me. I wonder if anyone else out there feels like I do.

Dementia - Symptoms Question: Are you caring for someone with dementia? What early symptoms did he/she experience at the onset of dementia?
Dementia - Experience Question: Does someone you know have dementia? Please share your experience.
Dementia - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of dementia in a relative or friend?
Dementia - Treatment Question: What treatment are you or a loved one receiving for dementia?
Dementia - Stages Question: What stage of dementia are you or a loved one dealing with?
Dementia - Types Question: What type of dementia do you or a loved one have?
Dementia - Caretaker Question: How do you cope with being the caretaker of someone with dementia?