Patient Comments: Dementia - Symptoms

Question:Are you caring for someone with dementia? What early symptoms did he/she experience at the onset of dementia?

Comment from: MB, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

Our family is really upset with the strange behavior of our mother since over last one year. She doesn't recognize us and even the place she live in, she has lot of hallucinations and imaginings. We took her doctors, but she refuses to take medicines just after one or two doses.

Comment from: Concerned Son, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My mom is 86 yrs. old. Recently her behavior has changed drastically. It has really impacted the world for my dad, who is also 86, and the entire family. My mom cannot remember certain information and especially locations. She is very anxious and cannot seem to relax. Nausea is also a very big part of her symptoms. She will tell us that she feels very bad and needs to go to the hospital. We have gone to the ER at 4 times over a week and a half. Mom was admitted for a day and a half and then the hospital let her go. All of this is so frustrating, and trying to get a doctor to see her is almost impossible!!

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 26

My husband was diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia last year at age 57. He suffers severe debilitating headaches that are about 8 to 10 on the pain scale. These headaches keep us homebound instead of being able to enjoy life, even with his other symptoms of dementia.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

Very early in the disease, my dad started having trouble walking down stairs and seemed off balance. He also started over-reacting to situations and seemed a bit paranoid, like everyone was out to get him somehow. Now, 2 years later, he falls a lot, has lost some of his vision, and mimics people in a strange way. In other ways though, he is incredibly observant and on-the-ball.

Comment from: cremom, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 15

Last night my 91-year-old mother woke me (I stay with her during the night) but when I entered her room, she said "Who are you?" She kept saying she was sick but couldn't identify what was wrong. She kept asking where she was, what country she lived in and became upset because she was so confused. It took about 30-40 minutes for her to finally recognize her surroundings and who I was. She has in the last several months had very disturbing dreams, snakes in the bed, dead babies on the kitchen table, but does not exhibit any other signs of dementia/Alzheimer's.

Comment from: graywolf, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My wife is 63 years old and in reasonably good health. She does have migraines that are now under control. They were so bad that they would cause absent seizures. She now cannot work because she is disoriented and has trouble working problems out. Yesterday, while in the store, we were looking for feminine hygiene products, and she was standing in the aisle looking at diapers and said she thought they were right here -- of course they were not. She thinks she is in New York sometimes or in someone else's home. Last night she called the dogs, cats. I said they're dogs, not cats. I worry about her all the time, and it is taking its toll on me but I am not giving up.

Comment from: SneakyPete, 75 or over Female Published: January 24

My mother who is 78 years. old has been recently diagnosed. Being closed to my mother, it was hard enough to watch her suffer while taking treatments for her breast cancer. Then she began asking me about relatives who have died. But what really troubles me is that she has started waking up asking about my nephew (who lives in another state) thinking he is in another part of the house. It's really scary and I often get impatient when she says the same thing over and over again.

Comment from: silently dying also, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 19

Trying to understand dementia is as hard on the caregiver as the person who has it. Once in a while you see a fleeting glimpse of who they were only to have it drastically changed before you breathed your next breath. Yes I am caring for my husband who has frontotemporal dementia. His earliest symptoms were behavioral changes and short term memory loss.

Comment from: Plaques, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

I care for my husband who has Vascular Dementia. When we first noticed something was wrong he was asking the same question over and over. Now we are at the point where he has a hard time with balance and walking. He is up 2 or 3 times a night wondering and repeatedly get lost in the bathroom and cannot get out. He is incontinent and has to be watched all day. We have qualified for home health care to assist in his care.

Dementia - Experience Question: Does someone you know have dementia? Please share your experience.
Dementia - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of dementia in a relative or friend?
Dementia - Treatment Question: What treatment are you or a loved one receiving for dementia?
Dementia - Stages Question: What stage of dementia are you or a loved one dealing with?
Dementia - Types Question: What type of dementia do you or a loved one have?
Dementia - Caretaker Question: How do you cope with being the caretaker of someone with dementia?
Dementia - Risk Factors Question: Do you have risk factors for dementia?