Patient Comments: Dementia - Symptoms

Question:Are you caring for someone with dementia? What early symptoms did he/she experience at the onset of dementia?

Comment from: graywolf, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My wife is 63 years old and in reasonably good health. She does have migraines that are now under control. They were so bad that they would cause absent seizures. She now cannot work because she is disoriented and has trouble working problems out. Yesterday, while in the store, we were looking for feminine hygiene products, and she was standing in the aisle looking at diapers and said she thought they were right here -- of course they were not. She thinks she is in New York sometimes or in someone else's home. Last night she called the dogs, cats. I said they're dogs, not cats. I worry about her all the time, and it is taking its toll on me but I am not giving up.

Comment from: SneakyPete, 75 or over Female Published: January 24

My mother who is 78 years. old has been recently diagnosed. Being closed to my mother, it was hard enough to watch her suffer while taking treatments for her breast cancer. Then she began asking me about relatives who have died. But what really troubles me is that she has started waking up asking about my nephew (who lives in another state) thinking he is in another part of the house. It's really scary and I often get impatient when she says the same thing over and over again.

Comment from: silently dying also, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 19

Trying to understand dementia is as hard on the caregiver as the person who has it. Once in a while you see a fleeting glimpse of who they were only to have it drastically changed before you breathed your next breath. Yes I am caring for my husband who has frontotemporal dementia. His earliest symptoms were behavioral changes and short term memory loss.

Comment from: Plaques, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

I care for my husband who has Vascular Dementia. When we first noticed something was wrong he was asking the same question over and over. Now we are at the point where he has a hard time with balance and walking. He is up 2 or 3 times a night wondering and repeatedly get lost in the bathroom and cannot get out. He is incontinent and has to be watched all day. We have qualified for home health care to assist in his care.

Comment from: Tiegra, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My neighbor is in her 80's. We have been very close and a couple of months ago I noticed that she was starting to ask the same question over and over again within minutes of asking it and each time I answered her the same and it was if it were the first time she asked it. She has also started to go off on subject tangents and was in denial of certain things (losing her hearing). Tonight I spoke with her adult granddaughter who told me my neighbor has been diagnosed with dementia. I take fruit over to her and walk with her and just visit with her several days a week and take her on errands with me and to the dog park with my 2 dogs which she enjoys.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 21

First was difficulty with reading and writing numbers. Example, she could not add or subtract and eventually became unable to understand a simple card game like go fish or rummy.

Dementia - Experience Question: Does someone you know have dementia? Please share your experience.
Dementia - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of dementia in a relative or friend?