Patient Comments: Dementia - Symptoms

Question:Are you caring for someone with dementia? What early symptoms did he/she experience at the onset of dementia?

Comment from: devastated, 55-64 Female Published: December 20

My 63 year old sister was just recently diagnosed with vascular dementia following a year and a half of serious and multiple health problems. It was first noticed by some memory loss but now every week when I see her it has markedly increased to the point of her not being able to carry a conversation, confusion, talks about non-related things to the conversation at hand. She lives in an assisted care facility. We have always been very close and this just rips my heart out. She is like a child now with that wide eyed vacant look.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My mother in law suffers from dementia. She is 88 and it has progressively gotten worse. It started by not knowing what day it is and then snakes in her bed to worse hallucinations. She is up all night seeing people. Scared that someone is going to get her. It is so hard caring for someone you love and you can't do anything to make them better.

Comment from: Daughter, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My mom's "odd behaviors" were the first things we noticed. She would go out of the house less. She started collecting mail-in million dollar sweepstakes contests. She believed the ads on the front that said, "You have won 10 million dollars!" She also started getting paranoid. She was scared there were snakes in the bed or scared of going too fast in the car. One day she tried to buy a birthday card for her dad who had died three years prior. It was all hard to watch.

Comment from: carrie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 01

I care for my 85 year old grandma who does have moods and up and down all night. She has memory loss on some things but does remember things way back. She still knows who I am at this point. She has problems on remembering how to use a fork for her food. Some of the Doctors rather give their patients meds to keep them calm well it did a reverse. Our doctor took her off her meds because they are finding out it actually makes them worse. This is time for our loved ones to be with their families.

Comment from: ali, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

Yes, she is my Mom. The Dementia symptoms had started when she was 58 years old.

Comment from: MB, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

Our family is really upset with the strange behavior of our mother since over last one year. She doesn't recognize us and even the place she live in, she has lot of hallucinations and imaginings. We took her doctors, but she refuses to take medicines just after one or two doses.

Comment from: Concerned Son, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My mom is 86 yrs. old. Recently her behavior has changed drastically. It has really impacted the world for my dad, who is also 86, and the entire family. My mom cannot remember certain information and especially locations. She is very anxious and cannot seem to relax. Nausea is also a very big part of her symptoms. She will tell us that she feels very bad and needs to go to the hospital. We have gone to the ER at 4 times over a week and a half. Mom was admitted for a day and a half and then the hospital let her go. All of this is so frustrating, and trying to get a doctor to see her is almost impossible!!

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 26

My husband was diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia last year at age 57. He suffers severe debilitating headaches that are about 8 to 10 on the pain scale. These headaches keep us homebound instead of being able to enjoy life, even with his other symptoms of dementia.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

Very early in the disease, my dad started having trouble walking down stairs and seemed off balance. He also started over-reacting to situations and seemed a bit paranoid, like everyone was out to get him somehow. Now, 2 years later, he falls a lot, has lost some of his vision, and mimics people in a strange way. In other ways though, he is incredibly observant and on-the-ball.

Comment from: cremom, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 15

Last night my 91-year-old mother woke me (I stay with her during the night) but when I entered her room, she said "Who are you?" She kept saying she was sick but couldn't identify what was wrong. She kept asking where she was, what country she lived in and became upset because she was so confused. It took about 30-40 minutes for her to finally recognize her surroundings and who I was. She has in the last several months had very disturbing dreams, snakes in the bed, dead babies on the kitchen table, but does not exhibit any other signs of dementia/Alzheimer's.

Dementia - Experience Question: Does someone you know have dementia? Please share your experience.
Dementia - Diagnosis Question: What tests or exams led to a diagnosis of dementia in a relative or friend?