Patient Comments: Dehydration - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your dehydration?

Comment from: Rick15, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

Recently I moved to Spain trying it out for retirement. Now I find that the heat and humidity 33 to 41 C in summer here dehydrate me quicker than I can replenish the fluids. Just a 5 minute walk outside and I'm covered from head to foot in sweat, same at night in 27 to 29 C. This has been causing kidney stone formations many times now. I find when I'm getting dehydrated my right ear plugs up like there is water in it, once I am hydrated enough this goes away, so this is my body's warning sign of dehydration I find. Needless to say Spain isn't good for retirement for me at least in summer.

Comment from: JayJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had an injury that has kept me inside for three and a half months. Just 2 weeks ago I got to get outside for extended periods. I ride horses, and stay outside a lot. I have been outside at least 2 to 5 hours, 2 to 3 days each of the last couple of weeks. The day I dehydrated all I had drunk was 1 cup of coffee, 1 bottle of water, and a special K strawberry breakfast drink. We had snacks for lunch and about 4 oz. of water. Within 3 hours I got nauseated and dizzy. So I drank a bottle of water, Powerade, and after I got to a cool place I noticed that my skin was burning, then I had the chills and fever. I ran a high fever for 3 or 4 hours.

Comment from: Jibby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

My dehydration symptoms were shortness of breath, severe fatigue, inability to eat or sleep, slowed thinking, retching, and cold sweat, brought by tapering off a light beer habit.

Comment from: unpc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I have never had much thirst, so drank little water for years. Two years ago I had swine flu and was severely dehydrated. I think this was manifest as weakness. They overdid the IV at 8 liters in 8 hours causing some problems. The next time I was in the tropics I got food poisoning, then developed a kidney stone. I was drinking some extra but not enough and nausea did not help. Apart from the colic I just felt unwell and low energy. When starting treatment I was pretty wiped out and the pain not helping. On IV fluid for 5 days and interesting to see the struggle to raise my blood pressure which slowly responded to fluids and when low I was pretty wasted. Clearly I need to drink at least 5 to 10 glasses of water a day, plus the coffee, even if I don't feel like it.

Comment from: Just_tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

My legs ache, and eyes ache when I look up. I have very mild flu like symptoms because of dehydration.

Comment from: Diarrha-medicine, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

I have vomiting, dehydration and loose motion.

Comment from: rapid transit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am now 62, at 33 I had to have an ileostomy because of pan colitis. It was quickly discovered that my small bowel does not function correctly and I became dehydrated. For about 5 years I was on IV hydration. For the next 15 years I was treated for chronic diarrhea and then found myself in the hospital with acute renal failure. I was again put on IV hydration, and for 5 years did very well. Then I developed an infection in the catheter and the docs decided I didn't need the IV any more. Suddenly my body was without the IV fluids and I was expected to function normally. Was just hospitalized for dehydration again, but this time not for long term. Am still ill, still dehydrated because the doctors do not believe that a person with so much small bowel should need the IV hydration. Needless to say this is frustrating for no matter how much I drink my body does not process the liquid properly and the tests have not shown a reason. I am a firm believer in the good of IV hydration for those who are for whatever reason chronically dehydrated. I suffer from thyroid problems, depression, lack of energy, chronic diarrhea, and what the docs call rapid transit time of anything that I swallow.

Dehydration - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Medical Treatment Question: Did you or someone you know go to the hospital for dehydration? How was it treated?
Dehydration - Home Remedies Question: Have you used home remedies to treat signs of dehydration? Please share your experience.
Dehydration - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing dehydration.