Patient Comments: Dehydration - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your dehydration?

Comment from: rapid transit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am now 62, at 33 I had to have an ileostomy because of pan colitis. It was quickly discovered that my small bowel does not function correctly and I became dehydrated. For about 5 years I was on IV hydration. For the next 15 years I was treated for chronic diarrhea and then found myself in the hospital with acute renal failure. I was again put on IV hydration, and for 5 years did very well. Then I developed an infection in the catheter and the docs decided I didn't need the IV any more. Suddenly my body was without the IV fluids and I was expected to function normally. Was just hospitalized for dehydration again, but this time not for long term. Am still ill, still dehydrated because the doctors do not believe that a person with so much small bowel should need the IV hydration. Needless to say this is frustrating for no matter how much I drink my body does not process the liquid properly and the tests have not shown a reason. I am a firm believer in the good of IV hydration for those who are for whatever reason chronically dehydrated. I suffer from thyroid problems, depression, lack of energy, chronic diarrhea, and what the docs call rapid transit time of anything that I swallow.

Comment from: Jerseygal, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 12

Alisha...check your thyroid levels. The thyroid gland is controlled by the endocrine system, which essentially acts as your body's temperature gauge. I experienced the same thing after my last pregnancy only to find out that I had a thyroid condition (hypothyroidism or low thyroid). It was affecting my body temperature (and ironically, my hydration levels...as my body would overheat more and consume more of my bodily fluids). I was prescribed a synthetic hormone (and eventually switched to a natural hormone) that I have to take on a daily basis to avoid feeling listless, fatigued, confused, lethargic, and also to avoid the massive migraines that I was experiencing. You are young, like myself. Please inquire about thyroid tests with your doctor and get this checked out so that you can get your quality of life back!! After all, you will need your energy levels to be intact with a new baby =) Best of luck to you! Well wishes.

Comment from: gramshouse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I am 61 years old and I drink 12 oz. of iced water at least 10 times a day. Yet every time I have blood work it shows that I'm slightly dehydrated. Over the past year my skin has gotten very dry as if I'm not getting any fluids. Now my eyesight is affected by it. I have "dry eye" and am using Restasis and drops every day. It's not helping at all. I have to sit approx. 3 ft. from my 42" flat screen HDTV in order for the picture to be clear and sharp. When I try to go to the store I can't see what's down the aisles until I'm right on top of it. This is getting old quick. I have an appointment with the doctor in March but I'm afraid I'll be blind by then as it just gets worse every day. Help!

Comment from: alisha, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 16

All my life I haven't drank enough fluids. I am never really thirsty. I am 32 and I usually drink an iced latte from dd and maybe some juice or water. I can go days without drinking anything but one cup of coffee. I woke up this morning w fatigue, a massive headache and the driest mouth anyone could imagine. I was lightheaded over the weekend but thought it was because I didn't eat. I drank a ton of Gatorade today w/ h2o and my dry mouth isn't going away nor my headache. My neurologist has done brain scans, cbc, vitamin deficiency tests etc. Thank God they came back normal except i have a major b12 issue. I am scared and reading through this blog freaks me out. I am normally healthy but since I had my last child I get sick all the time and just feel like crap. I think I am dehydrated and I am not sure if I should go to the hospital, my remedies don't seem to be working.

Comment from: Donna B, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My friend's daughter, age 45, hates to drink pure water, thus has major health problems and must go to hospital frequently for "rehydration." I know this aversion to water is a mental problem, as the daughter only drinks sodas. I told my friend her daughter's hatred of drinking water would be the same as someone who says, "I hate breathing pure clean air, and only want to breath bus fumes and cigar smoke." This is nuts. My own brother cannot stand the natural taste of good food. He must douse everything in hot sauce. It is a mental problem.

Dehydration - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Medical Treatment Question: Did you or someone you know go to the hospital for dehydration? How was it treated?
Dehydration - Home Remedies Question: Have you used home remedies to treat signs of dehydration? Please share your experience.
Dehydration - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing dehydration.