Patient Comments: Dehydration - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your dehydration?

Published: August 31

I have severe acid reflux and drinking alot of water worsens this problem. I have been to the emergency room several times with angina and lethargy. No heart problem was detected, but I was told that I was dehydrated. I am trying to sip on water during the day. This does help.

Comment from: Lb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I became dehydrated after not drinking enough water. I was having some of the symptom you pointed out. I have increased my intake of plain water.

Comment from: Wina, 55-64 Female Published: July 26

I had been in a hot car (no ac) for about 1 1/2 hrs the night before, did not take in enough fluids that night or next morning, tried to go to work, felt nauseated, confused, decided to go back home instead, crossed street to take bus back home, slumped over while waiting for bus, paramedics could not get BP or pulse, taken to hosp, learning to drink water!

Comment from: slotaddict, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have collagenous colitis, for 4 years I suffered with watery diarrhea. Finally I was diagnosed and am being treated with Endocort. I am worried about dehydration still my fingers always look like they have been in water for an extended period of time. My skin is so dry and I am watching it deteriorate before my eyes. The endocort solved my immediate problem, but my colon apparently is still unable to absorb liquid. I have no idea how to hydrate myself adequately. I am drinking water, Gatorade etc. I have not yet discussed this with my gastro doctor.

Comment from: julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was playing sports outdoors in the heat every weekend and did not drink enough fluids. Then my creatnine level was high and I broke out in an itchy rash on the body for a couple of weeks. Now I drink plenty of fluids with electrolytes. No further problems so far.

Comment from: anglobuff, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My husband, aged 91, has a very bad cold and excessive cough. Went to the doctor and he confirmed it wasn't the flu although he had extreme body aches. Beginning yesterday he started to sleep excessively. I thought he had his days and nights mixed up. He mentioned that he didn't urinate as much, but that didn't register with me. I kept trying to awaken him but he would fall asleep constantly. My daughter, who is a nurse, suggested that he may be dehydrated. I immediately rushed to the drugstore and got pedialyte. He has had about a liter already--in the last 6 hours. Now I am wondering if I am giving him too much too fast. He says that he feels stronger.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

My reason for dehydration is diarrhea and vomiting from food poisoning.

Comment from: missyp28, Female (Patient) Published: May 23

When I mow the lawn, I do not sweat at all. I live in Florida and it is in the high 80's, low 90's. I push mow my yard and drink approximately three bottles of water while mowing. I get so hot I get dizzy, I get cold and my face turns beet red. I always feel exhausted the next day and feel as though I just can't get enough to drink.

Dehydration - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Medical Treatment Question: Did you or someone you know go to the hospital for dehydration? How was it treated?
Dehydration - Home Remedies Question: Have you used home remedies to treat signs of dehydration? Please share your experience.
Dehydration - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing dehydration.