Patient Comments: Dehydration - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your dehydration?

Comment from: MB, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Dehydration was caused by the use of chlorthalidone 25mg used to control hypertension in conjuction with other blood pressure medications.

Comment from: hapry, 25-34 Female Published: July 20

I binge drank 2 days in a row and forced myself to vomit the 2nd night. I could not keep fluids down after that. I did not drink or eat anything for a majority of the day. I had multiple crying spells before I fell asleep and had awful nightmares and woke up a pool of my own sweat even though I had the AC on. I had heart palpation and was afraid I'd have to go to the ER. I drank a huge glass of water and felt much better.

Comment from: kaseyinspace, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My friend's lips turned white. She had pain below the belly button and very bad diarrhea. I visited her the other day and it scared me, she refuses to see the doctor so I made her stay in bed and kept three bottles of water by her bedside! She was very pale also! She says she has had the flu for over a month and a half and then went shopping and ended back in bed a week later sick as a dog once again!

Comment from: jane bratcher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I go to the bathroom at night to urinate 4 times a night. The doctor said I was a little dehydrated.

Comment from: Lynn1022, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

Because of dehydration I can"t swallow as well.

Comment from: KaraBrent, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Restricting my food intake, and probably not drinking enough liquids.

Comment from: Ebbyred, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have just gotten back from the hospital due to dehydration. The day started with me feeling ill, then vomiting, then I felt drugged, even though I hadn't taken anything. By 7 pm I was delirious, I was confused, couldn't connect my words and was stuttering when I spoke. I felt stupid and out of it to the point where I was scared because it didn't feel right. In the ER my friends described it as first talking to someone intoxicated to talking to a child that didn't quite make sense, though you could tell I was trying. I hadn't noticed but my lips became chapped. My head felt full and I noticed when I laid down I felt a bit clearer. It is amazing what IV fluid can do. I began to feel better and coherent within a half hour. I was supposed to be going to Maryland from Jersey to help my cousin move but ended up going to the hospital instead because everyone else could tell I was off. My experience showed how serious dehydration can be, I felt weak and close to passing out. I will definitely pay closer attention to my fluid intake. Warning to others though dehydration is a cumulative process it can sneak up on you and get from bad to worse quickly if not monitored.

Published: August 31

I have severe acid reflux and drinking alot of water worsens this problem. I have been to the emergency room several times with angina and lethargy. No heart problem was detected, but I was told that I was dehydrated. I am trying to sip on water during the day. This does help.

Comment from: Lb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I became dehydrated after not drinking enough water. I was having some of the symptom you pointed out. I have increased my intake of plain water.

Dehydration - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Medical Treatment Question: Did you or someone you know go to the hospital for dehydration? How was it treated?
Dehydration - Home Remedies Question: Have you used home remedies to treat signs of dehydration? Please share your experience.
Dehydration - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing dehydration.