Patient Comments: Dehydration - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your dehydration?

Comment from: jane bratcher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I go to the bathroom at night to urinate 4 times a night. The doctor said I was a little dehydrated.

Comment from: Lynn1022, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

Because of dehydration I can"t swallow as well.

Comment from: KaraBrent, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Restricting my food intake, and probably not drinking enough liquids.

Comment from: Ebbyred, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have just gotten back from the hospital due to dehydration. The day started with me feeling ill, then vomiting, then I felt drugged, even though I hadn't taken anything. By 7 pm I was delirious, I was confused, couldn't connect my words and was stuttering when I spoke. I felt stupid and out of it to the point where I was scared because it didn't feel right. In the ER my friends described it as first talking to someone intoxicated to talking to a child that didn't quite make sense, though you could tell I was trying. I hadn't noticed but my lips became chapped. My head felt full and I noticed when I laid down I felt a bit clearer. It is amazing what IV fluid can do. I began to feel better and coherent within a half hour. I was supposed to be going to Maryland from Jersey to help my cousin move but ended up going to the hospital instead because everyone else could tell I was off. My experience showed how serious dehydration can be, I felt weak and close to passing out. I will definitely pay closer attention to my fluid intake. Warning to others though dehydration is a cumulative process it can sneak up on you and get from bad to worse quickly if not monitored.

Published: August 31

I have severe acid reflux and drinking alot of water worsens this problem. I have been to the emergency room several times with angina and lethargy. No heart problem was detected, but I was told that I was dehydrated. I am trying to sip on water during the day. This does help.

Comment from: Lb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I became dehydrated after not drinking enough water. I was having some of the symptom you pointed out. I have increased my intake of plain water.

Comment from: Wina, 55-64 Female Published: July 26

I had been in a hot car (no ac) for about 1 1/2 hrs the night before, did not take in enough fluids that night or next morning, tried to go to work, felt nauseated, confused, decided to go back home instead, crossed street to take bus back home, slumped over while waiting for bus, paramedics could not get BP or pulse, taken to hosp, learning to drink water!

Comment from: slotaddict, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have collagenous colitis, for 4 years I suffered with watery diarrhea. Finally I was diagnosed and am being treated with Endocort. I am worried about dehydration still my fingers always look like they have been in water for an extended period of time. My skin is so dry and I am watching it deteriorate before my eyes. The endocort solved my immediate problem, but my colon apparently is still unable to absorb liquid. I have no idea how to hydrate myself adequately. I am drinking water, Gatorade etc. I have not yet discussed this with my gastro doctor.

Comment from: julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was playing sports outdoors in the heat every weekend and did not drink enough fluids. Then my creatnine level was high and I broke out in an itchy rash on the body for a couple of weeks. Now I drink plenty of fluids with electrolytes. No further problems so far.

Dehydration - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Medical Treatment Question: Did you or someone you know go to the hospital for dehydration? How was it treated?
Dehydration - Home Remedies Question: Have you used home remedies to treat signs of dehydration? Please share your experience.
Dehydration - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing dehydration.