Patient Comments: Dehydration - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your dehydration?

Comment from: kaseyinspace, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My friend's lips turned white. She had pain below the belly button and very bad diarrhea. I visited her the other day and it scared me, she refuses to see the doctor so I made her stay in bed and kept three bottles of water by her bedside! She was very pale also! She says she has had the flu for over a month and a half and then went shopping and ended back in bed a week later sick as a dog once again!

Comment from: jane bratcher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I go to the bathroom at night to urinate 4 times a night. The doctor said I was a little dehydrated.

Comment from: Lynn1022, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

Because of dehydration I can"t swallow as well.

Comment from: Lucky to get through, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 09

I had food poisoning, with violent, uncontrollable diarrhea that was like smelly water. That went on for three days, until there was nothing left for my body to expel. During that time I had great difficulty drinking any fluids and couldn't eat at all. I couldn't make it to the toilet in time; I ended up washing the floor about six times during the night, and washing off under the shower each time. It was crazy. After the diarrhea stopped, I was able to start drinking small amounts of fluid, gradually increasing. It was four days before I could urinate normally. Before that, it was a few drops at a time, or nothing at all. I didn't realize until I was getting better how poorly I had been thinking. Even the decision to tough it out by myself at home was a symptom of dehydration -- my mind just wasn't working. And although I talked to my doctor on the phone, she didn't realize how serious the problem was -- I sounded calm and quiet. The most shocking thing for me was realizing that I was making decisions about my care when I could hardly think. My heart rate didn't go up because of the blood pressure medications I take. My doctor and I have agreed that if anything like this happens again, I will go to hospital. I've been told that the local emergency ward would have put me in an isolation cubicle because they wouldn't know what was causing the diarrhea, and they would have started IV rehydration immediately.

Comment from: KaraBrent, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Restricting my food intake, and probably not drinking enough liquids.

Comment from: MB, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Dehydration was caused by the use of chlorthalidone 25mg used to control hypertension in conjuction with other blood pressure medications.

Comment from: hapry, 25-34 Female Published: July 20

I binge drank 2 days in a row and forced myself to vomit the 2nd night. I could not keep fluids down after that. I did not drink or eat anything for a majority of the day. I had multiple crying spells before I fell asleep and had awful nightmares and woke up a pool of my own sweat even though I had the AC on. I had heart palpation and was afraid I'd have to go to the ER. I drank a huge glass of water and felt much better.

Comment from: Ebbyred, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have just gotten back from the hospital due to dehydration. The day started with me feeling ill, then vomiting, then I felt drugged, even though I hadn't taken anything. By 7 pm I was delirious, I was confused, couldn't connect my words and was stuttering when I spoke. I felt stupid and out of it to the point where I was scared because it didn't feel right. In the ER my friends described it as first talking to someone intoxicated to talking to a child that didn't quite make sense, though you could tell I was trying. I hadn't noticed but my lips became chapped. My head felt full and I noticed when I laid down I felt a bit clearer. It is amazing what IV fluid can do. I began to feel better and coherent within a half hour. I was supposed to be going to Maryland from Jersey to help my cousin move but ended up going to the hospital instead because everyone else could tell I was off. My experience showed how serious dehydration can be, I felt weak and close to passing out. I will definitely pay closer attention to my fluid intake. Warning to others though dehydration is a cumulative process it can sneak up on you and get from bad to worse quickly if not monitored.

Dehydration - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Medical Treatment Question: Did you or someone you know go to the hospital for dehydration? How was it treated?
Dehydration - Home Remedies Question: Have you used home remedies to treat signs of dehydration? Please share your experience.
Dehydration - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing dehydration.