Patient Comments: Dehydration - Medical Treatment

Did you or someone you know go to the hospital for dehydration? How was it treated?

Comment from: maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Yes I went through dehydration once, and my son also did. It was at a 4th of July barbeque. We ate something that didn't agree with us. We all got sick with food poisoning. We were so dehydrated that I was taken to the hospital by and ambulance and my son was taken to the children's hospital. My son was severely dehydrated to the point of dying, and he was admitted for 4 days. It became life threatening to him because of his heart condition. I was later released from the hospital after 8 hours and was given 4 IV bags. It was a really scary feeling, your whole body aches and you feel like passing out with blood pressure so high they think you're having a heart attack.

Comment from: Jack, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I woke up one morning and got out of bed and suddenly got dizzy, I couldn't stand very well. I went to the emergency room of the closest hospital and was hooked to an IV. Then they took samples of my blood. The doctor thought I was dehydrated because they could find no other reason for the dizziness. I take a furosemide pill, and the doctor told me I should have my medicine cut back. After about an hour or so on the IV I felt much better and they sent me home. It was a scary ordeal.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I became dehydrated after a very long workout. I had not eaten but was sipping water throughout the morning. I became dizzy/lightheaded towards the end of the workout. I left there feeling very fatigued but ok. During the rest of the day I felt tired and lightheaded. The next day I rested but did not quite recover. The following day I was worse and had a low grade fever and diarrhea. By the next day I was vomiting also. I was taken to the emergency room where they gave me 2 bags of fluids and ran tests. After being there for 4 hours I was released and told to drink plenty of fluids.

Comment from: Sister B, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 24

My sister was experiencing bloody diarrhea and was going to a gastroenterologist. I checked her blood pressure and it was 188/91 with pulse of 89. I gave her blood pressure pill. Nurse at gastroenterologist office checked blood pressure 3 times, first two times it was still around 188/90 pulse 95, third time it was 144/71 pulse 95 and we figured blood pressure medication had kicked in. Fifteen minutes after leaving doctor's office, she started feeling dizzy and lost consciousness. Nurse on site said her blood pressure was 60/40 pulse 123. Initial thought was it could be from blood loss but emergency room said it was dehydration. She remained in hospital 4 days on IV. She always used to drink a lot of water every day, but she has now added Gatorade and Pedialyte to her daily fluid intake and changed blood pressure prescription to remove the diuretic (since she never had problem with fluid retention anyway). She now feels fine and no ongoing problems with dehydration.

Comment from: Rocko, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was treated exactly in the emergency room as described in your article. I was given IV drip for about two hours, connected to heart monitor and associated equipment. Once I stabilized I was given antibiotic through IV to stop the vomiting and diarrhea which it did. I was given a supply of same antibiotic to continue for 5 days and instructed to drink plenty of liquids. I also decided to add Jell-O to my diet as per reading from your article.

Comment from: DianaB, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 31

Elderly patient didn't want to drink water as it made her urinate more, became dehydrated, confused, and disoriented. She had to be admitted, and after 3 days of intensive care began to regain faculties, after 6 weeks most bodily functions normalized. She succumbed to septicemia from undetermined cause 3 months later.

Comment from: Chloe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I went to the emergency room (ER) after a night of having a racing heart with a pulse above 110, and I didn't check blood pressure (BP). I could feel it being high, didn't want to scare myself. I tried to hydrate myself, hoping my symptoms would diminish. They did a little bit. I had checked my BP the previous day and it was fine. I felt hot but I wasn't sweating, only my feet felt clammy. I also had a dry mouth. I felt a bit weak, it didn't help not sleeping all night. I also felt some cramping in my legs. I was not treated for dehydration, instead they hooked me up to an EKG, took a bunch of blood, urine and a chest x-ray. I was monitored for a couple of hours while my pulse and BP returned to normal. I have a medical background and I'm on a 12.5 mg of atenolol for borderline High BP. I guess, they were trying to rule out Heart problems. All my test values returned, normal. I am going for more blood work today, to rule out thyroid involvement. I'm hypothyroid.

Dehydration - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Home Remedies Question: Have you used home remedies to treat signs of dehydration? Please share your experience.
Dehydration - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing dehydration.