Patient Comments: Dehydration - Medical Treatment

Did you or someone you know go to the hospital for dehydration? How was it treated?

Comment from: Rocko, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was treated exactly in the emergency room as described in your article. I was given IV drip for about two hours, connected to heart monitor and associated equipment. Once I stabilized I was given antibiotic through IV to stop the vomiting and diarrhea which it did. I was given a supply of same antibiotic to continue for 5 days and instructed to drink plenty of liquids. I also decided to add Jell-O to my diet as per reading from your article.

Comment from: Wolfe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

7/14/13 my husband had to call an ambulance. I was sitting in the recliner and all of a sudden thought I was going to pass out, then became severely nauseated. My heart was racing profusely. I have atrial tachycardia. When the ambulance arrived my b/p was 170/100, heart rate 122, they thought I was having a heart attack. When they tried to get me out of the chair my legs collapsed, I could not hold myself up. They re-routed me to a closer hospital as I was in extreme tachycardia and had another paramedic intercept the ambulance in case I coded. At the hospital they started an IV and ran in wide open. Turns out I was severely dehydrated, when I was able to give a urine sample it was almost brown. Even thought I push fluids we were having extreme heat and humidity. apparently I had not drank enough that day. I know drink pedialyte twice a day the powdered kind you can put in a water bottle. They told me to stay away from gatoraide since it has a lot of sugar. Trust me, this scared the hec out of me and my husband. So please push your fluids.

Comment from: solarmal, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 29

My son had two days of vomiting, followed by one good day, and then a vomiting relapse. He ended up in the hospital for IV fluids, which, once administered, made him feel almost immediately better. He was rehydrated in about two hours, and felt good enough to go back to school the following day.

Comment from: kathryn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was just in hospital. I went in thinking I was having a heart attack. I was very sick to my stomach, had a dry mouth, and was very weak. My leg cramps were terrible. After four bags of fluids I felt so much better and left the hospital the next day.

Dehydration - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dehydration?
Dehydration - Home Remedies Question: Have you used home remedies to treat signs of dehydration? Please share your experience.
Dehydration - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing dehydration.