Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?

Comment from: irishlace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with cervical degenerative disc disease at age 40. Now I have spinal stenosis in the neck along with bone spurs. I am afraid to have surgery at my age. Burning pain in the back of my neck wakes me in the middle of the night. I am about to see a pain management doctor. I hope I can get relief with these doctors.

Comment from: Rayzor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I had an accident at work two year ago, I damaged my lower back. The pain was unbearable to say the least. I couldn't bend, I couldn't walk far, pain down my right buttocks and leg, into the foot. I had physiotherapy, traction, neither of which worked. After an MRI scan it was revealed I had a bulging disc, I was offered by the spinal surgeon, do nothing and live with it, injections, or surgery. I opted for the injections, they didn't work, I had more injections, and they didn't work. I had surgery (discectomy) a year and a half back, I've since had some more injections to burn the nerves away. It is now 2 years since my accident. My sciatica is back, my back pain is just as bad as before. I also now suffer from spasms in my lower back. I've tried regular exercise, swimming, walking, stretches, but nothing has eased the pain at all. I've gone from being a very fit and healthy man, to a very sorry looking soul, whose mental health is weakening by the day. I'm keeping my chin up and ask myself each day, what on earth have I done to deserve this life.

Comment from: Terri B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

Ten years ago, I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (DDD). Three surgeries later, including a L4/L5 spinal fusion (5 years ago), my life has markedly improved. Up until 2 months ago, I would have said I'm doing the best I've done in 10 years! Two months ago, I developed excruciating pain (similar to a severe charley horse) in my right and left thighs alternating. It would start high at the groin level and stop at my knees. Pain level was 8-10. I was put back on antispasmodic anti-inflammatory medications and was cautioned to watch for cauda equina (again). I'm now having an MRI of my L3/L4 vertebra later today.

Comment from: cookieMONSTER7, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (DDD) this year, and also rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I have dealt with back pain most of my life and cannot take NSAIDS anymore. I have pain all the time, a 6 and other days an 8. I ache all over my body, especially my back. Thoracic and lumbar have DDD. I have a cane, walker and crutches that I use occasionally. My back pain worsened after my last child. I've been to chiropractors, physical therapy, inversion table, acupuncture, epidural shots and counseling but I still feel depressed and am in pain. I cannot hold a job due to limited bending, walking, sitting and working with my hands. I am only 43 and feel like my body is falling apart.

Comment from: notinpain, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a bulging disc inwards; severe pain constantly. I did it all trying to ease the pain; therapy, shots, and of course the pain medications. Little worked. One day I got up from watching a football game and I fell face forward. I had no feeling in my lower extremities from the belly button down. I didn't know what was wrong. I was given 3 choices: 1 live with it, 2 medicate it, or 3 surgery. Well, after some thought of being in a wheelchair the rest of my life and not able to play with my sons, I opted for surgery. After 12 hours I was in a room recovering. Five days later I was walking on my own with no assistance. It was the best choice I ever made.

Comment from: rpage, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have degenerative disc disease in my back, in the L5 S1 area. I don't have back pain but my muscles in my legs hurt. The pain is like a cramp starting to happen and at times I do cramp.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?