Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?

Comment from: Rebecca, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I am a 42 year old woman who was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease 8 years ago. All my discs are bulging and hitting nerves. I was suffering from terrible migraines a few years back so I went for another MRI on my neck this time. Unfortunately it turns out the discs in my neck are very bad, hitting nerves and this is the cause of the headaches which can be excruciating. The back doctors (I have seen three in the past 8 years) refuse to operate saying I would have a 75 percent chance of paralysis. I was told to get used to taking painkillers for the rest of my life. Somedays are ok but others are awful. I can no longer work so I'm on Disability Support Program. I don't know what I have done to deserve this. I do get jealous of friends and family who can live normal pain free lives.

Comment from: pooja, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I got my D and C one month back. But I was normal after 1 hour and was discharged immediately. The doctor gave me painkiller and antibiotics for 5 days. After 5 days I am feeling lots of tiredness and pain in my whole body. I feel pain several times in my left thigh inside. I am not able to do my day to day work. I feel exhausted very soon, specifically if I have to do physical work.

Comment from: irishlace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with cervical degenerative disc disease at age 40. Now I have spinal stenosis in the neck along with bone spurs. I am afraid to have surgery at my age. Burning pain in the back of my neck wakes me in the middle of the night. I am about to see a pain management doctor. I hope I can get relief with these doctors.

Comment from: Rayzor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I had an accident at work two year ago, I damaged my lower back. The pain was unbearable to say the least. I couldn't bend, I couldn't walk far, pain down my right buttocks and leg, into the foot. I had physiotherapy, traction, neither of which worked. After an MRI scan it was revealed I had a bulging disc, I was offered by the spinal surgeon, do nothing and live with it, injections, or surgery. I opted for the injections, they didn't work, I had more injections, and they didn't work. I had surgery (discectomy) a year and a half back, I've since had some more injections to burn the nerves away. It is now 2 years since my accident. My sciatica is back, my back pain is just as bad as before. I also now suffer from spasms in my lower back. I've tried regular exercise, swimming, walking, stretches, but nothing has eased the pain at all. I've gone from being a very fit and healthy man, to a very sorry looking soul, whose mental health is weakening by the day. I'm keeping my chin up and ask myself each day, what on earth have I done to deserve this life.

Comment from: Terri B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

Ten years ago, I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (DDD). Three surgeries later, including a L4/L5 spinal fusion (5 years ago), my life has markedly improved. Up until 2 months ago, I would have said I'm doing the best I've done in 10 years! Two months ago, I developed excruciating pain (similar to a severe charley horse) in my right and left thighs alternating. It would start high at the groin level and stop at my knees. Pain level was 8-10. I was put back on antispasmodic anti-inflammatory medications and was cautioned to watch for cauda equina (again). I'm now having an MRI of my L3/L4 vertebra later today.

Comment from: rpage, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have degenerative disc disease in my back, in the L5 S1 area. I don't have back pain but my muscles in my legs hurt. The pain is like a cramp starting to happen and at times I do cramp.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?