Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?

Comment from: notinpain, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a bulging disc inwards; severe pain constantly. I did it all trying to ease the pain; therapy, shots, and of course the pain medications. Little worked. One day I got up from watching a football game and I fell face forward. I had no feeling in my lower extremities from the belly button down. I didn't know what was wrong. I was given 3 choices: 1 live with it, 2 medicate it, or 3 surgery. Well, after some thought of being in a wheelchair the rest of my life and not able to play with my sons, I opted for surgery. After 12 hours I was in a room recovering. Five days later I was walking on my own with no assistance. It was the best choice I ever made.

Comment from: YellowRose50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I woke up one morning 6 months ago unable to stand. Doctors have treated me for muscle spasms and nerve damage. I'm still unable to stand and walk for more than 1 hour without having to get off my leg. I have pain in the right leg only, pain and burning in the calf area outer right side, pain goes from calf to ankle and up to hip. It is painful to sit, get up from sitting, can't reach, bend or turn head to left, without pain going straight down my leg. Getting in and out of the car is a chore, personal hygiene and dressing is a chore as well. I still have not found the cause and still taking pain medications.

Comment from: Yesguy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

This sciatica is making me depressed. I have DDD in L5 S1 and have had this for at least 10 years and it is progressively getting worse. I used to play hockey and I still golf however that is at risk now that this sciatica is making my foot numb. I have gone to several Chiro, and physio however I cannot find one that relieves. I also want something to make this go away and allow me to continue my day to day activities and allow me to golf.

Comment from: Kim1522, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have had degenerative disc disease for about ten years now. I got it when I was 22, and it took 7 years to get it diagnosed properly. Because of my age they were not looking for this. I have read some of the other posts and one lady said she thinks her life is over. The thing with degenerative disc disease is yes you will have pain but it does lessen with time. Once the fluid had drained from you discs the nerve pain stops and you will just have muscle pain. Yoga is the best thing you can do! I do relaxation yoga and I will have periods of time with no pain after this. It lengthens your spine and stretches your muscles. Try it! When my pain first started I had a nine month old baby and it was horrible, but you learn what makes it worse and what makes it better. Join a gym with a great hot tub and yoga classes. Water physical therapy is great too.

Comment from: Ole66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a rupture disk that sprang out sideways unto my sciatic nerve. I could not do anything but lay flat on the bed. Sitting down was impossible. Standing for a number of minutes was too painful, but siting sent me through the roof. I had part of the disk removed, the part that had broken onto my sciatica. However, it was the most painful surgery I have had in my life!! Today, I am still struggling with my sciatic nerve, for there was nerve damage and the pain is back.

Comment from: WhatisDDDnarrowcanal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am a chronic pancreatitis patient who had rheumatoid arthritis several years before; the medication for RA caused chronic pancreatitis. My doctor passed away so now the new one thinks I was misdiagnosed and sent me for more testing, which showed DDD (degenerative disc disease) with mild narrowing of spinal canal; then x-ray of cervical spine showed an old injury in which the neck healed in a twisted position. All other tests are negative for RA, so question is what all this means. They are sending me back to pain specialist who has been treating my CP (chronic pain) conservatively (meaning not enough to provide relief). I have told him how much my back hurts but I thought it was from the excruciating pancreas pain, now I am afraid he will let me go as a patient because he only seems to be interested in sports injuries, and told me to get pancreas removed even though it would cause severe diabetes.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?