Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?

Comment from: gramma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had degenerative disc disease since 2007. My mobility is affected requiring the use of a cane. I experience burning pain at times in the lower back which shoots down the buttocks and into knee area mostly on the right side. When I walk, the pain intensifies and feels like a band which tightens the back further hindering mobility. With each MRI there is a significant change. I am in pain daily. I need help with chores I use to be able to do myself. Sometimes it hurts too much to drive.

Comment from: Prosperity68, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 68 just had an x-ray and found out why my sciatic nerve is bothering me; after 2 years of no pain now it"s back. I am trying laser treatment which is very helpful plus a spine stretch. Hope everyone gets some relief whichever way things go but get a second opinion.

Comment from: WhatisDDDnarrowcanal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am a chronic pancreatitis patient who had rheumatoid arthritis several years before; the medication for RA caused chronic pancreatitis. My doctor passed away so now the new one thinks I was misdiagnosed and sent me for more testing, which showed DDD (degenerative disc disease) with mild narrowing of spinal canal; then x-ray of cervical spine showed an old injury in which the neck healed in a twisted position. All other tests are negative for RA, so question is what all this means. They are sending me back to pain specialist who has been treating my CP (chronic pain) conservatively (meaning not enough to provide relief). I have told him how much my back hurts but I thought it was from the excruciating pancreas pain, now I am afraid he will let me go as a patient because he only seems to be interested in sports injuries, and told me to get pancreas removed even though it would cause severe diabetes.

Comment from: roxie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am a 58-year-old woman who was a caregiver for 28 years. I developed DDD along with bone spurs up and down my spine. I also have a bulging disc in my neck and two in the lower spine, with spinal stenosis, a slight curvature of the spine, and nerve root damage. I can't sit for more than two hours without lying down to help with the pressure. I also can't walk or stand for more than 10 minutes at a time. Depression is getting to me, since I have always been strong. I have had the lidocaine injection with no effect, steroid shots in the back with no effect, and a shot in the lower spine at the disc site – which was very painful and provided no relief. I am also being treated for radiculopathy and neuropathy, and nothing is working. I'm scared that if an operation is suggested I will have no relief. I've been out of work for two months with the drugs and shots.

Comment from: steve grier, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I have had two lumbar fusion and one cervical fusion surgeries. In the past four years, I have peripheral neuropathy from the lumbar surgeries – the chronic pain is constant. I've tried everything – a pain management doctor, massage, yoga, etc. I have now been using a cannabis salve for the last three months, and this, along with a neurostimulator implant, has changed my life. With the salve, especially, I have no side effects at all. I am off all opioid meds and take an aspirin every few days. I know I will never be the same as before all of this – the nerve damage can't be fixed and I must use a walker. So be it. I can now go to the gym, use a stationary bike, a treadmill, and lift light weights with no to very little pain. I buy my salve from a state medical marijuana dispensary. Without the salve I would not want to life the rest of my life with chronic pain.

Comment from: arc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I just got diagnosed with this. It is in all three areas of my spine. I go to physical therapy, but it hasn't helped me. I started physical therapy for my neck because both arms would drop like a lead balloon and to lift them up was excruciating. But a few weeks later, my left sciatica acted up. I have had a pinched sciatic nerve before, but this time, it crippled me. I couldn't stand straight, let alone walk. Now, my arms are acting up again and my sciatica is still painful. My whole entire back feels like a wall of concrete. My doctor tells me that surgery is not an option. I have had this for a long time and I have two young children. Most days, I have to grin and bear it. I dislike painkillers. So, I wonder which is worse – the pain, or the nausea and ill feeling from painkillers. This is my life, and some days, the pain is so horrible that taking painkillers seems like the lesser of two evils.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?