Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?

Comment from: annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I am a 66 year old female who after having an MRI was told I had a horrible back, osteoarthiritis, degenerative disk, spinal stenosis, and sciatica problem. I am having horrible muscle spasms in my lower back.

Comment from: kenneth, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I have had lumbar degenerative disc disease now for 3 years. Physio therapy is great for this, but I can no longer do physical labor. It has been 3 years since physio and now it is back with a vengence. I went through hell to get disability. These people want you to almost be wheel chaired to get benefits. Thank God for the Ontario Human Rights Code (Canada). It affects my sciatic nerve and numbs my left leg and sometimes shoots into the groin (ouch). I have to constantly shift, stand and sit. I did hard labor all my life and now at 47 I'm done.

Comment from: Reba, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

Life does not have to end because of degenerative disc disease. I began with that diagnosis and after years and years of pain had back surgery for herniated discs. The pain continued. I now have a morphine pump implanted in my hip. I have a life again. Do not give up. Go to pain specialists until you find one that can help. I could not work on pain killers as I just wanted to go to sleep. However, the morphine pump drips the medication on the damaged nerve. The amount of morphine in my body is one one-hundredth of what it would be if I were to take it by mouth. Try it. There is also an electronic stimulator that can be implanted that is supposed to take care of the pain also. Look into these newer alternatives to conventional pain medications.

Comment from: dkarma9949, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was recently diagnosed by my neurosurgeon with bulging discs and bone spurs in my neck. I am to have surgery to correct this very soon. The pain is incredible in my neck, upper back, shoulder, bicep, down my arm and now going into my fingers and hand which is on my right side but is now going into the left shoulder and arm. I have never experienced pain as severe as this even the pain before my lumbar (fusion) surgery.

Comment from: yosher65, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had physical therapy for sciatica and it left, but I still can't walk a long distance because I get a sharp pain in right hip joint. I sit down for 5 minutes and it goes away.

Comment from: Oreo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I've had degenerative disc disease for about 23 years. Most of the time I'd be fine, but if something made my back 'go out,' then I'd be in misery. Sometimes I'd be crooked sideways, couldn't straighten up or walk without pain shooting through me, and my left leg would feel numb in places. Would have to take off from work to rest. Don't know where I'd be without my chiropractor all these years! Had an MRI done a few years ago and found at least four bulging discs. My left knee was swollen for years and had an MRI done on it and found that I'd need a new knee. Finally decided to get the new knee, and that has done wonders for my back. I stand straighter on the left side and when I've had back pain, is 99% better! My back can 'go out' and just bother me, but not hurt like it used to. Of course, there are a few times when it gets sore and then I know I need to go see the chiropractor. Getting my new knee was like fixing the foundation of a house, since the left side was lower than the right, which was not helping the back problem. Those of you that haven't found any relief from past procedures should have your knees checked (and probably hips too), to see if they are worn down which could cause a lot of the pain. Of course, I still have to watch what I do and have had to check things off the 'list' that I can't do anymore, but at least for the most part I'm doing lots better dealing with the back!

Comment from: bghteyez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

The condition with the sciatica is called Meralgia Paresthetica. I have had DDD for over ten years and recently have been having pain in my hip I went to the doctor and he said it was this due to my sciatic nerve being pinched in the hip area.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?