Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?

Comment from: Sore Back, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

At this moment I have got a painful left leg from sciatica and my lower L4, L5 disc has mild degeneration and I am on medication to help, but it's only helps a bit. I have been going to the physiotherapist 2 days a week to work on my muscles and get a little strength my back a bit. Plus, I am in the heat pool 2 Days a week which calms the pain as you are mostly in a tube with your whole body resting and not touching the ground. I am waiting to see the back specialist to check on what we should do to fix the pain but I am staying strong. That I am not working is also sad as it has been over 2 months already. Well I hope to get more good news soon.

Comment from: toyoungforthis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Two years ago I started having pain in my lower back because of degenerative disc disease... all the time. It has not gone away at any one time but continuously gotten worse. I was told by my neurologist to have surgery or live with the pain kind of blunt. I got a second opinion that was basically the same just with a different type of surgery, and the second opinion sounded much better and less invasive. I have been taking Norco 10/325 for the past 6 months and they do not take the pain away, enough to make all this tolerable. In a little over 2 months I am having L5-S1 fused from the front instead of rods in from the back. I am told it is less invasive. I hope this works because I have had enough and just want to get back to my old life. I know that there are a lot of people out there that are a lot worse off than I am, and I hope that you get relief soon.

Comment from: YellowRose50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I woke up one morning 6 months ago unable to stand. Doctors have treated me for muscle spasms and nerve damage. I'm still unable to stand and walk for more than 1 hour without having to get off my leg. I have pain in the right leg only, pain and burning in the calf area outer right side, pain goes from calf to ankle and up to hip. It is painful to sit, get up from sitting, can't reach, bend or turn head to left, without pain going straight down my leg. Getting in and out of the car is a chore, personal hygiene and dressing is a chore as well. I still have not found the cause and still taking pain medications.

Comment from: Yesguy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

This sciatica is making me depressed. I have DDD in L5 S1 and have had this for at least 10 years and it is progressively getting worse. I used to play hockey and I still golf however that is at risk now that this sciatica is making my foot numb. I have gone to several Chiro, and physio however I cannot find one that relieves. I also want something to make this go away and allow me to continue my day to day activities and allow me to golf.

Comment from: Kim1522, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have had degenerative disc disease for about ten years now. I got it when I was 22, and it took 7 years to get it diagnosed properly. Because of my age they were not looking for this. I have read some of the other posts and one lady said she thinks her life is over. The thing with degenerative disc disease is yes you will have pain but it does lessen with time. Once the fluid had drained from you discs the nerve pain stops and you will just have muscle pain. Yoga is the best thing you can do! I do relaxation yoga and I will have periods of time with no pain after this. It lengthens your spine and stretches your muscles. Try it! When my pain first started I had a nine month old baby and it was horrible, but you learn what makes it worse and what makes it better. Join a gym with a great hot tub and yoga classes. Water physical therapy is great too.

Comment from: Ole66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a rupture disk that sprang out sideways unto my sciatic nerve. I could not do anything but lay flat on the bed. Sitting down was impossible. Standing for a number of minutes was too painful, but siting sent me through the roof. I had part of the disk removed, the part that had broken onto my sciatica. However, it was the most painful surgery I have had in my life!! Today, I am still struggling with my sciatic nerve, for there was nerve damage and the pain is back.

Comment from: syb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have pain in the area of the 4 lumbar disc problems with the femoral nerve and sciatic nerve which the both have the 4 lumbar disc and their root to the spinal cord. The femoral nerve which controlled the bending of the knee in the thigh area made it difficult to walk up and down stairs I used my good leg to do this at work. I also had paralysis in my left leg and I have a rash on the right side right near the 4 lumbar discs. I have no reflex which the 4 lumbar disc nerve has it was absent when tested on both legs I am afraid of permanent damage to my spine in this area I have had two episodes to date.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?