Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?

Comment from: Karen Jayne, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

I am looking after a young girl (23) who has been diagnosed with AS (ankylosing spondylitis). Her lower spine is already fusing together and she now has a curvature on the upper spine L2 and L3. She is now receiving infusions every 6 weeks of Remicade and she has been put on every kind of pain killer, sleeping pills, anti-depression pills, etc. She is also on 120 mg of Cymbalta. Nothing has taken the pain away or made it even slightly better for her to be able to work. They seem to have just given up and told her to claim disability. At her age, depression is a big issue as she has pretty much been told she is not going to have a good life. I have been on Kadian for 18 years now for fibromyalgia and would not be able to function. I wonder if this medication would be able to help her for pain control at all. The doctor has just taken her off trazodone and Tramacet and has replaced it with Lyrica. Beats me!

Comment from: paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Sciatica for me turned out to be an easy fix. I had a severe case for a while, tried all kind of medications, and relief was very temporary. I found a stretching exercise that did the job; takes a couple of days but it worked. Now whenever I start to feel any pain I just repeat the exercise. Lie on your back, and whatever side the problem is on bring that knee with leg bent till its pointing at the ceiling. Then fold it over your body pulling down on it with the opposite hand stretching the nerve. Work it as much as you can stand, about a minute, then relax your leg and foot back to the floor. Then bend your leg to your chest and back to the floor 10 times. Repeat this twice a day, it really works.

Comment from: Ladywriter1968, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

When I was in my early 30s my back went, was in agony for months on end. I was told I have degenerative disc disease of the spine, being 2nd disk from bottom, and nerve pinched causing sciatica pain down my leg, pins and needs in my foot. My foot would throb along with extreme back pain, my dad suffered the same thing before I did. I found swimming and exercise helped my pain, and walking, yoga as well, and weight loss back then. Since then I have had twinges now and then, but recently, which is like 15 years later, my back pain has returned very quickly with the same pain as years before but on my opposite side now. I have gained the weight back over the years and it's harder to lose now. Carrying extra weight around does not help and puts strain on the lower spine, by losing weight is not that easy either and keeping it off. It's worse when I am in bed early morning the pain. For me when I walk it eases off. Life sure is cruel, isn't it, for us suffering. I try to live a normal life as I don't want to let it beat me. But it does take willpower, and I am not on any pain killers as the ones I had before upset my tummy.

Comment from: Miss bee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have been living with degenerative disc disease (DDD) pain for 15 years. Only in the last year have I been diagnosed. I spent many years seeking treatment, physical therapy and pain relief, nothing has helped very much. I can no longer work because I cannot stand or sit for long periods and bending worsens my pain. I just try and manage the condition with heat, ice packs, stretching and accepting my limitations. It has been very difficult, but I rarely take medication anymore.

Comment from: Poppa Mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I have lumbar radiculopathy, chronic. I hurt my back from years of lifting in the construction field. My doctors have known this for 5 years now. They have given me gabapentin 600 mg, and Vicoprofen 7.5 and they have not even touched my lower back or as they (doctors) say, eased the pain. The pain is always there. It is so bad now that my doctors have gotten me a paraplegic wheel chair. It cost 28,000 dollars. It's nice of course and helps me be mobile. My pain is absolutely terrible. I go for my therapy on the 19th of March 2015. I think that it's not going to work for me. My back is too far gone.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?