Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?

Comment from: paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Sciatica for me turned out to be an easy fix. I had a severe case for a while, tried all kind of medications, and relief was very temporary. I found a stretching exercise that did the job; takes a couple of days but it worked. Now whenever I start to feel any pain I just repeat the exercise. Lie on your back, and whatever side the problem is on bring that knee with leg bent till its pointing at the ceiling. Then fold it over your body pulling down on it with the opposite hand stretching the nerve. Work it as much as you can stand, about a minute, then relax your leg and foot back to the floor. Then bend your leg to your chest and back to the floor 10 times. Repeat this twice a day, it really works.

Comment from: Ladywriter1968, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

When I was in my early 30s my back went, was in agony for months on end. I was told I have degenerative disc disease of the spine, being 2nd disk from bottom, and nerve pinched causing sciatica pain down my leg, pins and needs in my foot. My foot would throb along with extreme back pain, my dad suffered the same thing before I did. I found swimming and exercise helped my pain, and walking, yoga as well, and weight loss back then. Since then I have had twinges now and then, but recently, which is like 15 years later, my back pain has returned very quickly with the same pain as years before but on my opposite side now. I have gained the weight back over the years and it's harder to lose now. Carrying extra weight around does not help and puts strain on the lower spine, by losing weight is not that easy either and keeping it off. It's worse when I am in bed early morning the pain. For me when I walk it eases off. Life sure is cruel, isn't it, for us suffering. I try to live a normal life as I don't want to let it beat me. But it does take willpower, and I am not on any pain killers as the ones I had before upset my tummy.

Comment from: Miss bee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have been living with degenerative disc disease (DDD) pain for 15 years. Only in the last year have I been diagnosed. I spent many years seeking treatment, physical therapy and pain relief, nothing has helped very much. I can no longer work because I cannot stand or sit for long periods and bending worsens my pain. I just try and manage the condition with heat, ice packs, stretching and accepting my limitations. It has been very difficult, but I rarely take medication anymore.

Comment from: Poppa Mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I have lumbar radiculopathy, chronic. I hurt my back from years of lifting in the construction field. My doctors have known this for 5 years now. They have given me gabapentin 600 mg, and Vicoprofen 7.5 and they have not even touched my lower back or as they (doctors) say, eased the pain. The pain is always there. It is so bad now that my doctors have gotten me a paraplegic wheel chair. It cost 28,000 dollars. It's nice of course and helps me be mobile. My pain is absolutely terrible. I go for my therapy on the 19th of March 2015. I think that it's not going to work for me. My back is too far gone.

Comment from: Tamerbamer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have low back pain. Steroid nerve block injections and pain medicine have worked for me. If you can get into a pain specialist they can help a lot. If they can"t get your pain under control then you may have to have surgery. I love my pain specialist. They have given me my life back.

Comment from: HARJIT, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

It started with pain on my left toe, as I am regular to gym. Once while bending in the gym I got pain on my lower back, but then I took rest for a few days and again I started gym after 2 days. I again had pain, even then I thought it just might be back pain so I did not take it seriously. But by the time I thought this must be something else after doing my MRI, I came to know about early degenerative disc disease at l4; 5 with small disc protrusion in right foraminal location. Doctor gave me antibiotics for 2 months and the pain was relived in a manner that I can walk, but it was not up to my normal position that I can work regularly. By the time I started doing stretching, it is not suiting my body as I am getting pains; it's almost 4 months now and I am not getting any results.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?