Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?

Comment from: Ladywriter1968, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

When I was in my early 30s my back went, was in agony for months on end. I was told I have degenerative disc disease of the spine, being 2nd disk from bottom, and nerve pinched causing sciatica pain down my leg, pins and needs in my foot. My foot would throb along with extreme back pain, my dad suffered the same thing before I did. I found swimming and exercise helped my pain, and walking, yoga as well, and weight loss back then. Since then I have had twinges now and then, but recently, which is like 15 years later, my back pain has returned very quickly with the same pain as years before but on my opposite side now. I have gained the weight back over the years and it's harder to lose now. Carrying extra weight around does not help and puts strain on the lower spine, by losing weight is not that easy either and keeping it off. It's worse when I am in bed early morning the pain. For me when I walk it eases off. Life sure is cruel, isn't it, for us suffering. I try to live a normal life as I don't want to let it beat me. But it does take willpower, and I am not on any pain killers as the ones I had before upset my tummy.

Comment from: Miss bee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have been living with degenerative disc disease (DDD) pain for 15 years. Only in the last year have I been diagnosed. I spent many years seeking treatment, physical therapy and pain relief, nothing has helped very much. I can no longer work because I cannot stand or sit for long periods and bending worsens my pain. I just try and manage the condition with heat, ice packs, stretching and accepting my limitations. It has been very difficult, but I rarely take medication anymore.

Comment from: Tamerbamer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have low back pain. Steroid nerve block injections and pain medicine have worked for me. If you can get into a pain specialist they can help a lot. If they can"t get your pain under control then you may have to have surgery. I love my pain specialist. They have given me my life back.

Comment from: raven, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

The pain can be pretty bad, I have had episodes where it was 10 days before I could even walk to the mailbox. I avoid lifting, carry only small loads, let the housework go, rest and take the medications. I am avoiding surgery as so many end up in worse shape. After spending the last two days on a morphine drip, I'm going to try nerve blockers and physical therapy, perhaps inversion table. I just try to avoid anything that aggravates the condition and be brave; this isn't easy.

Comment from: toyoungforthis, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

Hi there, I am 21 years old. I work as a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home so my back goes through a lot. I have been having sciatic pain for over the last month. I went to the doctor (different one each time) three times during this time span. First time was told that is was the piriformis muscle tensed/knotted up on my sciatic nerve. The second time, I was told that my ankle was sprained. The third time the doctor told me the same as the first, but gave me flexeril and naproxen. After taking these for about two weeks along with walking and some stretches they gave me it felt better towards the end of last week. Unfortunately I worked Saturday and Sunday. The pain came back, worse than it was before but just a little different. On average Saturday and Sunday night I got between 5-6 hours of sleep, Monday night I got 2 hours. Monday evening I knew I couldn't take another night of all of it so I went to emergency room. Where they took an X-ray and noticed some degeneration on my L5 S1 disc, told me it was mild degenerative disc disease. It feels like I'm way too young for this. I've never had any back accidents, the only problem I had with it is mild scoliosis. This has me really worried about my future in nursing, as well as quality of life.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Shots used to work and now I"m in pain all the time and it"s getting worse.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?