Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?

Comment from: flowergirl914, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had bulging discs had the surgery, sent home the next day with pain medications. I went to the fridge and fell flat on my back; I was not used to taking pain medication. I had to get back to work I had just bought my home at the age of 45. Little did I know I was to become disabled for life. I could not work, couldn't get out of bed. Nothing has worked and now I have another herniated disc and the doctor asked if I fell down the stairs. I fracture very easily this is the 3rd herniated disc. I don't know how I got them. It has kept me home, I am afraid of crowds or just loosing my balance. There seems to be no hope. Plus, 2 years ago I had to have a plate for my cervical spine. Nobody has answers for me. It is just constant pain.

Comment from: hipgranny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

In January 2008 I had a degenerative disc removed between C5/C6. A week after my surgery my heart stopped and I fell to the floor and had to have a pacemaker put in and I am now facing what the neurologist thinks is more pinched nerves and complications with the first surgery. I have been on hydrocodone and hydromorphine recently went to a pain specialist and he put me on fentanyl 50mcg patches with hydrocodone as backup drug. I was doing pretty well. Pain down to 5-6. On Friday I put my arm back to put a sneaker on and yikes the pain to my right hip was and has been the most horrific pain. I cannot walk. I will try to get to doctor tomorrow but wonder if my cervical discs caused a problem with the hip. Also my hands are numb. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment from: r.m.22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with DDD a year ago and I am now 22 years old. The doctors will not do anything other than pain medication and physical therapy. I have gone for 3 steroid epidural injections which did not help only cause severe pain in my right leg. I am going to be trying prolotherapy in about a month. But other than that the doctors want to see how fast it is occurring and for anything major I would need to wait years because of my age.

Comment from: Microbiologist , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had sciatica due to a herniated disk between L4 and L5 for three painful years. No therapy seemed to work for me. I tried the Nucleoplasty for the disk decompression. It is a simple procedure with the use of a sterile needle and local anesthesia. I feel like new again. No pain at all; I can walk, and even run again.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I found out I had DDD 4 yrs ago at the age of 20. Not a single doctor will help me because of my age. The most they'll do is give me pain drugs and send me through physical therapy. Nothing has helped. They say the cant do more for another 10yrs or until it is so bad that I can't walk.

Comment from: sweetnascarfan69, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I am a 39 year old female patient with degenerative bone disease. I was first diagnosed when I was 24 years old. To date I have had 3 spine surgeries. Two (2) C-Spine and One (1) L-Spine. Currently waiting to have surgery again on my neck. This time it is crushing my nerves and causing severe pain in my left arm. It feels as if I am being electrocuted. This is a very painful condition.

Comment from: Snarkie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

It has just been pain management using Vicodin, Percocet and muscle-relaxants. I didn't know there was anything that could be done.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?