Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?

Comment from: Einjk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was just told by my doctor that I have degenerative disc disease (DDD). I am in terrible pain, from my lower back to my hips, and down both legs. I can hardly walk, and standing is a chore, as it can only be done for short periods of time. I also have pain in my groin area. I can't believe the amount of pain involved with this. I can no longer do anything but sit, or lie down for short periods of time. I have major spasms that cause me to scream in pain. I have always managed pain quite well, as I also have other diseases that come with their fair share of pain. This, however, has dropped me to my knees. Once I am in bed, getting out of bed is a real chore too. I spend most of my time sleeping in my recliner. I am a 57-year-old woman. From what I have seen so far in the last two months, it looks as if most of my life is over, or any good parts anyway.

Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (DDD) three years ago. I have been prescribed all kinds of pain medications, and I have gone to chiropractors. I also have had the shots in my spine, and nothing has seemed to help. They help for a while but only for a short while. I have been unable to find work. I have been unemployed for two years. i have been advised by my doctor not to lift more than 10 pounds, and most employers won't hire unless you are able to lift 50 pounds.

Comment from: Peg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am experiencing severe pain in my left leg. I was told six years ago that I have severe DDD, stenosis, and obvious sciatica. I was doing alright until yesterday. The exercise class I am in was very difficult even though it is for senior citizens. I'm suffering for trying to keep up. My left leg has been giving out on me since yesterday. I almost went back to the class today, but I decided I better take it easy.

Comment from: livingdaily, 55-64 Female Published: December 02

I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (DDD). It has been 16 years since my first surgery (C5-6), and the graft fractured after five years. The second C5-6 surgery replaced the graft with a graft plug and titanium plate. The constant nerve pain is a daily adventure. I get violent migraines if my neck decides it didn't like bending or picking up something. I had two lumbar surgeries as well. I am disabled and hate the fact my life changed, and no one really understands how it controls your life. I understand how horrible it is to live with pain. You just have to deal and try to be happy as best you can.

Comment from: ccsbabycakes, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a 40 year old who has had degenerative disc disease and sciatica pain since 1997 resulting from an injury I suffered being a certified nursing assistant.I have tried heat, cold, massage, physical therapy, going to the gym, pain pills, tens unit, water therapy, you name it I tried it nothing has helped me. Then one night my husband just happened to grab my feet and gently pull them towards him, instant relief no pain the first time in 10 years I was pain free. So my advice on what to try would be some sort of traction device.

Comment from: Kadubies, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

At present, I am being treated with Baclofen for my sciatica.

Comment from: emmah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had the degenerative disc disease for the last 4 years and my doctor is also saying he cannot do surgery on me until I cannot get out of bed, but he advised me to go for a walk everyday for an hour, use heat pads, go for therapy after every 3 months, medications and I also inject myself when in severe pain. I also lost 41 kgs that helps a lot. Friends just follow what your doctor is advising you, most operations will not help I have had 4 operations already in 10years, but I am still suffering.

Comment from: Alicein wonderland, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am 23 and was recently diagnosed with DDD. I've tried stretches and pain pills and even weird diets, but can't find any relief. I worry about the future and the idea that my doctors will just make me wait it out until they deem me old enough to preform surgery on.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?