Patient Comments: Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your degenerative disc disease or sciatica?

Comment from: HARJIT, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

It started with pain on my left toe, as I am regular to gym. Once while bending in the gym I got pain on my lower back, but then I took rest for a few days and again I started gym after 2 days. I again had pain, even then I thought it just might be back pain so I did not take it seriously. But by the time I thought this must be something else after doing my MRI, I came to know about early degenerative disc disease at l4; 5 with small disc protrusion in right foraminal location. Doctor gave me antibiotics for 2 months and the pain was relived in a manner that I can walk, but it was not up to my normal position that I can work regularly. By the time I started doing stretching, it is not suiting my body as I am getting pains; it's almost 4 months now and I am not getting any results.

Comment from: Tamerbamer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have low back pain. Steroid nerve block injections and pain medicine have worked for me. If you can get into a pain specialist they can help a lot. If they can"t get your pain under control then you may have to have surgery. I love my pain specialist. They have given me my life back.

Comment from: raven, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

The pain can be pretty bad, I have had episodes where it was 10 days before I could even walk to the mailbox. I avoid lifting, carry only small loads, let the housework go, rest and take the medications. I am avoiding surgery as so many end up in worse shape. After spending the last two days on a morphine drip, I'm going to try nerve blockers and physical therapy, perhaps inversion table. I just try to avoid anything that aggravates the condition and be brave; this isn't easy.

Comment from: toyoungforthis, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

Hi there, I am 21 years old. I work as a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home so my back goes through a lot. I have been having sciatic pain for over the last month. I went to the doctor (different one each time) three times during this time span. First time was told that is was the piriformis muscle tensed/knotted up on my sciatic nerve. The second time, I was told that my ankle was sprained. The third time the doctor told me the same as the first, but gave me flexeril and naproxen. After taking these for about two weeks along with walking and some stretches they gave me it felt better towards the end of last week. Unfortunately I worked Saturday and Sunday. The pain came back, worse than it was before but just a little different. On average Saturday and Sunday night I got between 5-6 hours of sleep, Monday night I got 2 hours. Monday evening I knew I couldn't take another night of all of it so I went to emergency room. Where they took an X-ray and noticed some degeneration on my L5 S1 disc, told me it was mild degenerative disc disease. It feels like I'm way too young for this. I've never had any back accidents, the only problem I had with it is mild scoliosis. This has me really worried about my future in nursing, as well as quality of life.

Comment from: Joel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I was in awful pain from sciatica. After chiropractic visits, Vicodin by the handful, and the threat of surgery ("It very probably won't succeed."), I bought a cheap inversion table. I worked up to a complete inversion, doing 15 minutes in the morning and in the evening. It took about a week to get results. Now, the pain is gone. I'm back to normal. I bench pressed 275 pounds the other day (at 60), I ride my bike for miles, and I hike with my dogs in the hills. My chiropractor, who initially advised me against inversion, bought an inversion table for his own use after I told him my experience!

Comment from: Becky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have degenerative disc disease. My pain is controlled by two things: an inversion board and yoga back stretches. My doctor recommended this. Both of these things have really helped with pain management!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I've had DDD now for a few years plus many other problems. My treatment so far has been everything from, chiropractic, massage, exercise, pain meds, muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory meds, Lidocaine shots, medical branch blocks, acupuncture, and radiofrequency rhizotomy. I have found that basically the only thing that helps temporarily is Lidocaine shots. Radiofrequency rhizotomy surgery was one of the biggest mistakes in my life. I had very extremely painful rare side effects. Do not ever get this surgery b/c u may be unable to move for 4 months and in more pain then ever.

Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?