Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Comment from: Trooparun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I had painless swelling on my ankles and feet. I thought it would be normal due to my running sessions. However, it was pointed out by my wife that it does not seem normal and requires attention. The doctor prescribed a number of tests including kidney and heart functioning tests. All of the tests were normal and it was then that she linked it to smoking and coagulation if the blood.

Comment from: kitty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

When I was 39 I sprained my ankle and dislocated a toe. I was told to do bed rest and elevate the ankle. One week after the sprain I started experiencing a lot of pain. I couldn't put pressure on my foot, anything that touches my leg I had a lot of pain and there was a lot of swelling. I went to the er again and told them about the symptoms, I was having and I was told what can you expect you dislocated your toe and sprained your ankle. Again I went back two days later as I couldn't take the pain anymore and there was a red line in front of my leg. Again I was told in the er that I was not doing bed rest etc. I refuse to leave and I told them they had to figure out what was wrong. They looked at me as if I was crazy. Another doctor was called a doppler was ordered they found 2 clots behind my calf. I was in hosp for over one week and 11 years later I still take meds. My leg was swollen for over 6 months. So if you feel that something is not correct. Don't stop until you get an answer.

Comment from: NJ, 65-74 Female Published: May 14

I was diagnosed with DVT quite accidentally. I had vein work done in late summer 2011 and returned for my last follow-up appointment on March 5, 2012. The technician doing an ultra-sound on the leg where I had the vein work done "discovered" that I had DVT. Two weeks prior to that visit, I traveled by car from FL to my home in MD--7 1/2 hours in a small car with a couple of stops for gasoline and to have breakfast and lunch. I spent 7 hours in the emergency room on March 5 where it was determined that no clots had broken loose and put on lovonox and coumadin. I have also had heavy dose chemotherapy for BC metastasis.

Comment from: Gamblin Queen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

All of my vital signs were 100% normal. Was told that the clot developed on both sides of my vena cava filter and was six inches from entering the artery to my heart. I was also told I was alive because the clot travelled down my leg instead of up my leg. In other words the clot started at the filter and travelled down. Thanking GOD for wonderful miracles. I am on 5mg Coumadin and I take 10mg Coumadin two days a week. I also take one aspirin with the Coumadin and the blood work still looks like I am not taking any of the medication.

Comment from: Englishman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and prescribed an unloaded brace to ameliorate pain in the knee. I wore this brace every other day or so. One day I developed this huge pain in my calf that was wearing the brace. I could not sleep for two nights and the calf swelled up. I have now been diagnosed with DVT. I have since discovered that there are known risks for blood clots while wearing a brace which I was not made aware of. I certainly would not have had it on so tight, would have removed the brace whenever I was sitting down, and perhaps would not have worn one at all. BEWARE people!

Comment from: chyl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I was diagnosed with DVT 3 days ago. I worked as a staff nurse-midwife in our hospital my unit was the busiest area in all department. I was always experiencing leg cramps specially when I am so tired. I got swelling on my calf for 2 weeks and pain also. I was just thinking it was just a simple lack of electrolytes so i took my serum electrolytes all are normal. So i went to ER they gave me pain reliever and refer me to orthopedic department. When i was in ortho the doctor examined me i put the creep bandage to ease the pain, the doctor removed it and advised me to go to vascular specialist. That day i didn't go immediately cause I came from night duty then my allergy attack also so i have 1 shot of hydrocortisone in ER i was so drowsy that day. So i came back next day to vascular, immediately suspect DVT, doppler was done and it was found out it my popliteal artery right leg. So my doctor advised for admission. I was admitted for 4 days with a shot of clexane 0.60 twice daily and on loading dose of warfarin 10 mg then 5 mg next day then daily my INR test. Upon admission my INR was 1.06 only my blood was so viscous. Thank you God it was found out so early.Now i am starting my treatment on warfarin 3mg daily with diet control and restriction to the food that can affect the warfarin. I was thinking that I am so healthy cause only muscle pain..but don't ignore any pain that we can feel in our body because it means something wrong inside our system...thank you so much..

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?