Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Comment from: BettyCrockster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

My background is that I'm an ordinary worker (60 plus hours a week). I woke up one morning in so much overall body pain that I couldn't move, and very cold. I finally made it to the couch, I was swaying back and forth because I was so cold. Then my body temperature went to 'freezing' mode and I started convulsing. I remember grabbing my heart, the pain was unbearable. I stayed like that for 5 days until I was able to drive to work. I thought I had bronchitis or something. I then drove to the clinic and was diagnosed with a heart attack and he directed me to go straight to the hospital. Ambulance service was refused by me. They did blood tests and a CAT scan of my body. They had diagnosed me with pulmonary embolism and pneumonia. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days. My INR was never right but they let me go home due to lack of insurance. Due to lack of insurance I had to stop all treatment after 3 weeks. I am now wondering if the deep vein thrombosis is still there. I know shortness of breath is a concern and I seem to have that.

Comment from: BO didlee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I had no symptoms of deep vein thrombosis and was only diagnosed by a sonogram for something else. I had portal vein thrombosis.

Comment from: Trooparun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I had painless swelling on my ankles and feet. I thought it would be normal due to my running sessions. However, it was pointed out by my wife that it does not seem normal and requires attention. The doctor prescribed a number of tests including kidney and heart functioning tests. All of the tests were normal and it was then that she linked it to smoking and coagulation if the blood.

Comment from: kitty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

When I was 39 I sprained my ankle and dislocated a toe. I was told to do bed rest and elevate the ankle. One week after the sprain I started experiencing a lot of pain. I couldn't put pressure on my foot, anything that touches my leg I had a lot of pain and there was a lot of swelling. I went to the er again and told them about the symptoms, I was having and I was told what can you expect you dislocated your toe and sprained your ankle. Again I went back two days later as I couldn't take the pain anymore and there was a red line in front of my leg. Again I was told in the er that I was not doing bed rest etc. I refuse to leave and I told them they had to figure out what was wrong. They looked at me as if I was crazy. Another doctor was called a doppler was ordered they found 2 clots behind my calf. I was in hosp for over one week and 11 years later I still take meds. My leg was swollen for over 6 months. So if you feel that something is not correct. Don't stop until you get an answer.

Comment from: NJ, 65-74 Female Published: May 14

I was diagnosed with DVT quite accidentally. I had vein work done in late summer 2011 and returned for my last follow-up appointment on March 5, 2012. The technician doing an ultra-sound on the leg where I had the vein work done "discovered" that I had DVT. Two weeks prior to that visit, I traveled by car from FL to my home in MD--7 1/2 hours in a small car with a couple of stops for gasoline and to have breakfast and lunch. I spent 7 hours in the emergency room on March 5 where it was determined that no clots had broken loose and put on lovonox and coumadin. I have also had heavy dose chemotherapy for BC metastasis.

Comment from: BettyCrockster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with PE (pulmonary embolism) and hospitalized 6 months ago. I could only afford my Coumadin for 3 weeks. I don't know if the clot is still in my lung. I can't afford doctor visits to ask them.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?