Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Comment from: TwiceBittenOnceShy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

In 1990, I was bitten on my arm by a brown recluse spider. My grandmother was dying and I didn't pay attention to the bite for about a week or so. When I noticed it, it was a quarter sized black sore with purple skin out from the center and that skin had cracks in it. Before it got that bad, I tried to pull the scab off, and it wouldn't come off, even with tweezers. When I showed my Mom, she freaked out and took me to a clinic. The doctor immediately knew it was a recluse bite. He gave me a local and cut about two inches of dead tissue. Fast forward to last week, guess what! I have been bitten by a stupid brown recluse again! This time it's on my left arm. I had to wait for my paycheck (one of the many perks of being poor). I went to the emergency room (ER) last night. The wound is smaller than a dime, but it has the slightly sunken necrotic center. The doctor wasn't really surprised (I live in Texas and they aren't uncommon here). I got my prescriptions today. The topical cream was 177 dollars! (Thank you USD 5000 deductible insurance.) I'm glad I was paying attention this time and I will squish any spider I even see again (unless it's a daddy longlegs). The strange thing is, years ago, my Mom was bitten by a recluse. The bite was smaller and she was able to pull the scab off and put hydrogen peroxide on it and within a week, it was just a small scar, never needed to go to the doctor. My dad had the same experience. I guess it affects everyone differently and I'm just lucky this way. The ER visit was USD 350, but I know how dangerous these bites are.

Comment from: CloseCall, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was bitten on my heel by a brown recluse spider. Immediately the blister appeared next to the fang marks (one darker than the other), slight swelling, and a strange sensation began. I applied an anti-itch topical cream, iced and elevated my foot for 40 minutes and the swelling and strange sensation subsided. I did not experience any skin breakdown or necrosis. Two days after the bite the blister is gone. Feeling really fortunate.

Comment from: BettyCrockster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

My background is that I'm an ordinary worker (60 plus hours a week). I woke up one morning in so much overall body pain that I couldn't move, and very cold. I finally made it to the couch, I was swaying back and forth because I was so cold. Then my body temperature went to 'freezing' mode and I started convulsing. I remember grabbing my heart, the pain was unbearable. I stayed like that for 5 days until I was able to drive to work. I thought I had bronchitis or something. I then drove to the clinic and was diagnosed with a heart attack and he directed me to go straight to the hospital. Ambulance service was refused by me. They did blood tests and a CAT scan of my body. They had diagnosed me with pulmonary embolism and pneumonia. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days. My INR was never right but they let me go home due to lack of insurance. Due to lack of insurance I had to stop all treatment after 3 weeks. I am now wondering if the deep vein thrombosis is still there. I know shortness of breath is a concern and I seem to have that.

Comment from: BO didlee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I had no symptoms of deep vein thrombosis and was only diagnosed by a sonogram for something else. I had portal vein thrombosis.

Comment from: Trooparun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I had painless swelling on my ankles and feet. I thought it would be normal due to my running sessions. However, it was pointed out by my wife that it does not seem normal and requires attention. The doctor prescribed a number of tests including kidney and heart functioning tests. All of the tests were normal and it was then that she linked it to smoking and coagulation if the blood.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?