Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Comment from: chartroomgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My DVT is unusual it is my upper extremity it's in my left forearm it was diagnosed with a ultra sound after two D-dimer test came back negative. Thank goodness for the persistence of the urgent care doctors my sibling died from a pulmonary embolism at the same age I am now.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: April 28

My DVT was diagnosed through an ultrasound. The only symptom I had was severe pain in leg and I couldn't put my weight on it. I was hospitalize and was given lovenox shots and a warfarin pill.

Comment from: mbrewer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was hospitalized in Jan 2011 for a Pulmonary Emboli and nearly died. I was unaware of what was happening until the lab work came back and said I had a D-Dimer of 1964; > 200. I also had a CT of body and numerous clots were found with several in the lungs as well. The doctor told me in the ER that I had the DVT in my left leg for at least a month. I actually had no symptoms other than swelling in the leg, yet I do have large legs anyway. I walked a lot and don't drive a car. Prior to this, I had SOB and severe fatigue. I had told my DR about it, but nothing was done until the clot in my leg broke and went to my lungs. I now have to be on Coumadin for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Pabi, 25-34 Female Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis when I was 6 months pregnant and I was on clexane until the day before I went for my caeserian section. A doppler scan was done before I was discharged from the hospital. It was concluded that what I had was DVT in pregnancy cause I was okay two months later until now. Though, I'm scared to get pregnant again...

Comment from: les, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 50 years old. I woke up one morning with right ankle pain and swelling. I thought I must have twisted my ankle at the gym. Pain increased and I decided to see my PMD. There was a possibility that this was gout due to Hydrochlorothiazide use. Pain and swelling increased. Several weeks later a Dopler of both my legs was negative for clots. Subsequently, had an MRA, MRV, Stress test Echo. I was evaluated by several physicians. Then one day woke up with shortness of breath, coughing with bloody mucus. Went to ER and was told that I probably had pneumonia with a panic episode. One week later went to another ER with same symptoms. A CT with contrast showed I had extensive Bilateral PE and multiple clots in both legs. I was immediately started on Heparin and spend 2 days in ICU. Sent home 5 days later on Arixtra and Coumadin until my level was therapeutic. Then just coumadin. This was short lived. 3 weeks later my leg pain returned and dopler revealed new clots. I was considered failed Coumadin and put on Arixtra shots daily. 1 month later develop shortness of breath again, and had 2 right lung PE and 1 on the left with more DVT. A Greenfield filter was placed. Now I am on Levonox twice daily. Still with no definite diagnosis for the DVT. I continue to be hopeful. But one advice when you feel something that is not normal, continue to ask and tell your physician. You are the expert on your body.

Comment from: Mams, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed chronic dvt as I used IV drugs in my leg veins. I have kicked the habit for almost 10 years. Now I'm able to walk but my thigh cramps when I walk stairs.

Comment from: Worried mum, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My 18 year old daughter has recently had a blood transfusion because of anemia. Then the day after she had bad pain in her groin. She was told that it was a muscle strain. Two weeks later after being in awful pain we went to another hospital and were told that the Deep Vein Thrombosis was extensive. She was on Heparin for 3 months but still has pain/some swelling in her leg six months later.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?