Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Comment from: active-dvt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I am now 30 years old but was originally diagnosed for DVT 3 years ago at 27. It took 15 months before I could be correctly diagnosed. Partly this is my own accord as well as that of the original doctor. I was a very active athlete and began to have severe pain/swelling in my right calf. I thought maybe I had unknowingly injured myself during an event. The pain went away after about a week but the swelling never did. Being a bit stubborn I left it until it again became unbearable pain and it began to affect my work. After an ultra sound I was diagnosed with DVT in my upper right thigh/pelvis area. Even a guy like me in such good shape and at such a young age and with no prior family history of DVT it still affected me. Please take symptoms seriously no matter what the age/condition you are.

Comment from: Older Male, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I injured my ankle working in the yard by bumping into a large rock. It got a bruised look; I put ice on it for a couple days, then about a week later it got really swollen (suddenly, it seemed). I went to the doctor about 2 weeks later since the swelling would not go away. She thought it was DVT so I had ultrasound to confirm her diagnosis. I took Lovenox injections for 5 days, and then started Coumadin therapy for 6 months.

Comment from: usaray, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I had severe pain in back of knee. Went to the doctor and from there an ambulance was called. At the emergency room an examiner noticed my leg was cold and no pulse could be heard with a sonic tool. A lady examiner came in and felt my leg, listened, immediately set me up for exploratory surgery. Found a clot in my groin at the top of the two arteries that feed the leg. This one was covering hole going to the leg. Pieces broke off that and formed a 10cm clot down in my leg below the knee which is where the pain came from. They have no clue as to why I got this which is quite disconcerting not knowing.

Comment from: MargieP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I had a lateral latch done on my knee which was fine. I was semi-immobile for 1 week, using crutches. My left leg started swelling but I thought it was because I was not mobile enough. By the 3rd day, it was so red, swollen and very painful. I went to the Dr. and was immediately sent to the ER where they found a blood clot in my left leg, 2 clots in my right lung and 1 clot in my left lung. I was given "clot busters" in my stomach for 4 days before they put me on warfarin. I am now on blood thinners and am working with my doctor to regulate my numbers (2-3) but it is difficult. I have a vena cava filter implanted to hopefully catch any more clot.

Comment from: chartroomgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My DVT is unusual it is my upper extremity it's in my left forearm it was diagnosed with a ultra sound after two D-dimer test came back negative. Thank goodness for the persistence of the urgent care doctors my sibling died from a pulmonary embolism at the same age I am now.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: April 28

My DVT was diagnosed through an ultrasound. The only symptom I had was severe pain in leg and I couldn't put my weight on it. I was hospitalize and was given lovenox shots and a warfarin pill.

Comment from: mbrewer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was hospitalized in Jan 2011 for a Pulmonary Emboli and nearly died. I was unaware of what was happening until the lab work came back and said I had a D-Dimer of 1964; > 200. I also had a CT of body and numerous clots were found with several in the lungs as well. The doctor told me in the ER that I had the DVT in my left leg for at least a month. I actually had no symptoms other than swelling in the leg, yet I do have large legs anyway. I walked a lot and don't drive a car. Prior to this, I had SOB and severe fatigue. I had told my DR about it, but nothing was done until the clot in my leg broke and went to my lungs. I now have to be on Coumadin for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Pabi, 25-34 Female Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis when I was 6 months pregnant and I was on clexane until the day before I went for my caeserian section. A doppler scan was done before I was discharged from the hospital. It was concluded that what I had was DVT in pregnancy cause I was okay two months later until now. Though, I'm scared to get pregnant again...

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?