Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Comment from: MAROSES, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had this pain under my foot and on my calf. I had chest pains as well after travelling. I went to my doctor who refused to do blood tests and advised me that I had pulled a muscle. The pain was unbearable and I ended up going to the ER. All these tests were done and it was found that I have DVT. I was started on warfarin injections and after I week, my tests revealed that I was negative for clots. If I didn't go to the hospital, I might be dead by now.

Comment from: Nelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Three weeks after I had my son, I began having pain in my back, I thought it was a pinched nerve. After about three days I could barely walk, I was short of breath and felt like I was going to pass out if I walked to far, so I went to the emergency room. They ignored the dizziness and the ER doctor prescribed muscle relaxers for the pain. Before letting me go he had them do a ultra sound to check for clots, the only reason being I had just had a baby. I wasnt experiecing any normal signs of clots. They found that both my legs and my abdomen region was full of clots. So much so that the weight of the clots was causing stress to kidneys, and my right kidney was shutting down. The correct name for the what was happening to me is called extensive bilateral reoccuring deep vein thrombosis. They diagnosed them through ultrasound and xray.

Comment from: superc00l, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I got injured which required me to go seek a doctor's help. After getting and reading the MRIs, I was still experiencing extreme pain in my lower left calf. I was referred to get an ultrasound which confirmed DVT. I was sent straight to the hospital and immediately admitted.

Comment from: active-dvt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I am now 30 years old but was originally diagnosed for DVT 3 years ago at 27. It took 15 months before I could be correctly diagnosed. Partly this is my own accord as well as that of the original doctor. I was a very active athlete and began to have severe pain/swelling in my right calf. I thought maybe I had unknowingly injured myself during an event. The pain went away after about a week but the swelling never did. Being a bit stubborn I left it until it again became unbearable pain and it began to affect my work. After an ultra sound I was diagnosed with DVT in my upper right thigh/pelvis area. Even a guy like me in such good shape and at such a young age and with no prior family history of DVT it still affected me. Please take symptoms seriously no matter what the age/condition you are.

Comment from: Older Male, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I injured my ankle working in the yard by bumping into a large rock. It got a bruised look; I put ice on it for a couple days, then about a week later it got really swollen (suddenly, it seemed). I went to the doctor about 2 weeks later since the swelling would not go away. She thought it was DVT so I had ultrasound to confirm her diagnosis. I took Lovenox injections for 5 days, and then started Coumadin therapy for 6 months.

Comment from: usaray, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I had severe pain in back of knee. Went to the doctor and from there an ambulance was called. At the emergency room an examiner noticed my leg was cold and no pulse could be heard with a sonic tool. A lady examiner came in and felt my leg, listened, immediately set me up for exploratory surgery. Found a clot in my groin at the top of the two arteries that feed the leg. This one was covering hole going to the leg. Pieces broke off that and formed a 10cm clot down in my leg below the knee which is where the pain came from. They have no clue as to why I got this which is quite disconcerting not knowing.

Comment from: MargieP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I had a lateral latch done on my knee which was fine. I was semi-immobile for 1 week, using crutches. My left leg started swelling but I thought it was because I was not mobile enough. By the 3rd day, it was so red, swollen and very painful. I went to the Dr. and was immediately sent to the ER where they found a blood clot in my left leg, 2 clots in my right lung and 1 clot in my left lung. I was given "clot busters" in my stomach for 4 days before they put me on warfarin. I am now on blood thinners and am working with my doctor to regulate my numbers (2-3) but it is difficult. I have a vena cava filter implanted to hopefully catch any more clot.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?