Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Comment from: agitatum, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a nasty ankle accident 5 years ago and my feet have never been the same since. I get a lot of pain in both feet and legs. My feet and legs are both very discolored, a brown-red, sometimes almost black, and it can be painful when walking. I have just been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease stage III what ever that means? The doctors were questioning DVT.

Comment from: queenie2626, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

So I woke up on a Friday morning and noticed that my right calf was cramping up. I just assumed I slept funny and it would go away, but it didn't. I tried adding more potassium to my diet, using Icy Hot, and massaging it with no improvements. Five days later I contacted my doctor who immediately told me to go to the ER. The D-dimer test came up positive and the ultrasound indicated a clot in the calf where the pain was originating from. I was one lucky girl as I didn't suspect a deep vein thrombosis because I had no other symptoms like redness, swelling, and warm to the touch. I just had cramping and soreness. I also have no family history, smoking history, nor took birth control.I spent 7 days in the hospital with Lovenox shots twice a day and Warfarin, 15 mg to get me therapeutic and I was able to be released. Now I begin the recovery period including modifying how much vitamin K I eat, being more careful and paying attention to my body signals. Never again will I wait that long to contact my doctor.

Comment from: Barry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

It started as a pain in my calf muscle area. The pain was similar to that of a strained or pulled calf muscle. I had it before and wasn't concerned. Then I noticed that the heel pad of my foot was numb. That concerned me, and tests showed that there was deep vein thrombosis.

Comment from: Flame, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was 24 when they found a blood clot by accident. I never had any symptoms of swollen, sore or red legs. I had a very bad pain in my right side just behind my ribs and was vomiting for about 3 weeks. Everything was tested for and nothing could be found. When going to see the physician who did a scan of my intestines, and found the clot by accident. No one can tell me what causes these blood clots. I wish I had more answers!

Comment from: MAROSES, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had this pain under my foot and on my calf. I had chest pains as well after travelling. I went to my doctor who refused to do blood tests and advised me that I had pulled a muscle. The pain was unbearable and I ended up going to the ER. All these tests were done and it was found that I have DVT. I was started on warfarin injections and after I week, my tests revealed that I was negative for clots. If I didn't go to the hospital, I might be dead by now.

Comment from: Nelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Three weeks after I had my son, I began having pain in my back, I thought it was a pinched nerve. After about three days I could barely walk, I was short of breath and felt like I was going to pass out if I walked to far, so I went to the emergency room. They ignored the dizziness and the ER doctor prescribed muscle relaxers for the pain. Before letting me go he had them do a ultra sound to check for clots, the only reason being I had just had a baby. I wasnt experiecing any normal signs of clots. They found that both my legs and my abdomen region was full of clots. So much so that the weight of the clots was causing stress to kidneys, and my right kidney was shutting down. The correct name for the what was happening to me is called extensive bilateral reoccuring deep vein thrombosis. They diagnosed them through ultrasound and xray.

Comment from: superc00l, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I got injured which required me to go seek a doctor's help. After getting and reading the MRIs, I was still experiencing extreme pain in my lower left calf. I was referred to get an ultrasound which confirmed DVT. I was sent straight to the hospital and immediately admitted.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?