Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Comment from: queenie2626, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

So I woke up on a Friday morning and noticed that my right calf was cramping up. I just assumed I slept funny and it would go away, but it didn't. I tried adding more potassium to my diet, using Icy Hot, and massaging it with no improvements. Five days later I contacted my doctor who immediately told me to go to the ER. The D-dimer test came up positive and the ultrasound indicated a clot in the calf where the pain was originating from. I was one lucky girl as I didn't suspect a deep vein thrombosis because I had no other symptoms like redness, swelling, and warm to the touch. I just had cramping and soreness. I also have no family history, smoking history, nor took birth control.I spent 7 days in the hospital with Lovenox shots twice a day and Warfarin, 15 mg to get me therapeutic and I was able to be released. Now I begin the recovery period including modifying how much vitamin K I eat, being more careful and paying attention to my body signals. Never again will I wait that long to contact my doctor.

Comment from: Barry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

It started as a pain in my calf muscle area. The pain was similar to that of a strained or pulled calf muscle. I had it before and wasn't concerned. Then I noticed that the heel pad of my foot was numb. That concerned me, and tests showed that there was deep vein thrombosis.

Comment from: Beckyc20, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had surgery and was sent home same day, the surgical center sent me home without urinating first. 11 days later I was in the ER with kidney failure and 4 liters of urine in my bladder. The weight of my bladder constricted blood flow and caused blood clots everywhere. I had a massive pulmonary embolism and it also caused 3cardiac arrests. I'm inn Coumadin, had the Lovenox shots and have an Ivc filter in place, my doctor wants to take the filter out but having a hard time getting my inr therapeutic. I was totally healthy before this, I called my surgeons office 4 times saying I can't pee, I'm throwing up all day and I'm in so much pain. Was told that is normal and to drink more water. Thanks guys you killed me, I just didn't stay dead.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

Had ankle surgery, everything went well. Cast was little to tight on my calf. After about 10 days started having pain in the calf, continued to get worse. Ended up going to emergency room. They were skeptical but ended up cutting the cast and doing an ultrasound, lo and behold had one in my calf. Ended up spending the night and the next day in the hospital while they pumped me through of blood thinners. Then a week of bed rest at home with 2 injections a day in the stomach plus oral Coumadin. All gone now but what an ordeal.

Comment from: J, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I am a 55 year old male. I have been diagonosed with deep vein thrombosis twice. The first time I was in a long car ride from NY to NC. I had pain and swelling in my leg. I went to the doctor, got a sonagram and was given IV heparin. Another time a year later I had a little chest pain, not much but they discovered a blood clot near the lung. Again IV Heparin, then Lovenox shots for 2 weeks at home and Warfarin was prescribed. This time I have been tasking Warfarin for 4 years and I noticed my leg was swollen. This time they are considering a filter.

Comment from: agitatum, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a nasty ankle accident 5 years ago and my feet have never been the same since. I get a lot of pain in both feet and legs. My feet and legs are both very discolored, a brown-red, sometimes almost black, and it can be painful when walking. I have just been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease stage III what ever that means? The doctors were questioning DVT.

Comment from: Flame, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was 24 when they found a blood clot by accident. I never had any symptoms of swollen, sore or red legs. I had a very bad pain in my right side just behind my ribs and was vomiting for about 3 weeks. Everything was tested for and nothing could be found. When going to see the physician who did a scan of my intestines, and found the clot by accident. No one can tell me what causes these blood clots. I wish I had more answers!

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?