Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Comment from: Gamblin Queen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

All of my vital signs were 100% normal. Was told that the clot developed on both sides of my vena cava filter and was six inches from entering the artery to my heart. I was also told I was alive because the clot travelled down my leg instead of up my leg. In other words the clot started at the filter and travelled down. Thanking GOD for wonderful miracles. I am on 5mg Coumadin and I take 10mg Coumadin two days a week. I also take one aspirin with the Coumadin and the blood work still looks like I am not taking any of the medication.

Comment from: Englishman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and prescribed an unloaded brace to ameliorate pain in the knee. I wore this brace every other day or so. One day I developed this huge pain in my calf that was wearing the brace. I could not sleep for two nights and the calf swelled up. I have now been diagnosed with DVT. I have since discovered that there are known risks for blood clots while wearing a brace which I was not made aware of. I certainly would not have had it on so tight, would have removed the brace whenever I was sitting down, and perhaps would not have worn one at all. BEWARE people!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

Had ankle surgery, everything went well. Cast was little to tight on my calf. After about 10 days started having pain in the calf, continued to get worse. Ended up going to emergency room. They were skeptical but ended up cutting the cast and doing an ultrasound, lo and behold had one in my calf. Ended up spending the night and the next day in the hospital while they pumped me through of blood thinners. Then a week of bed rest at home with 2 injections a day in the stomach plus oral Coumadin. All gone now but what an ordeal.

Comment from: J, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I am a 55 year old male. I have been diagonosed with deep vein thrombosis twice. The first time I was in a long car ride from NY to NC. I had pain and swelling in my leg. I went to the doctor, got a sonagram and was given IV heparin. Another time a year later I had a little chest pain, not much but they discovered a blood clot near the lung. Again IV Heparin, then Lovenox shots for 2 weeks at home and Warfarin was prescribed. This time I have been tasking Warfarin for 4 years and I noticed my leg was swollen. This time they are considering a filter.

Comment from: agitatum, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a nasty ankle accident 5 years ago and my feet have never been the same since. I get a lot of pain in both feet and legs. My feet and legs are both very discolored, a brown-red, sometimes almost black, and it can be painful when walking. I have just been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease stage III what ever that means? The doctors were questioning DVT.

Comment from: chyl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I was diagnosed with DVT 3 days ago. I worked as a staff nurse-midwife in our hospital my unit was the busiest area in all department. I was always experiencing leg cramps specially when I am so tired. I got swelling on my calf for 2 weeks and pain also. I was just thinking it was just a simple lack of electrolytes so i took my serum electrolytes all are normal. So i went to ER they gave me pain reliever and refer me to orthopedic department. When i was in ortho the doctor examined me i put the creep bandage to ease the pain, the doctor removed it and advised me to go to vascular specialist. That day i didn't go immediately cause I came from night duty then my allergy attack also so i have 1 shot of hydrocortisone in ER i was so drowsy that day. So i came back next day to vascular, immediately suspect DVT, doppler was done and it was found out it my popliteal artery right leg. So my doctor advised for admission. I was admitted for 4 days with a shot of clexane 0.60 twice daily and on loading dose of warfarin 10 mg then 5 mg next day then daily my INR test. Upon admission my INR was 1.06 only my blood was so viscous. Thank you God it was found out so early.Now i am starting my treatment on warfarin 3mg daily with diet control and restriction to the food that can affect the warfarin. I was thinking that I am so healthy cause only muscle pain..but don't ignore any pain that we can feel in our body because it means something wrong inside our system...thank you so much..

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?