Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?

Comment from: maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Nineteen years ago I developed femoral, pelvic, and lung (pulmonary embolism) clots and was placed on heparin drip then Coumadin. About 3 weeks ago I was prepared for pelvic fracture surgery. I was taken off Coumadin, given Lovenox for about a week, for deep vein thrombosis. I had surgery. Post operation I was given Lovenox. I developed a severe hemorrhage and received at least 8 units of blood (PRC-packed red blood cells) and many units of plasma. I was taken back to surgery to remove a huge hematoma. Then I was given heparin. All were discontinued at discharge. Three days later I developed left calf pain. Four days after discharge, an ultra sound was done and a clot was found behind the left knee and descending. I was placed back on Lovenox for 8 days.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms Question: For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?