Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Denis, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I"m a 23 years old boy. I had a rugby injury when I was 15 year of age and they diagnosed me with acute deep vein thrombosis (DVT) on my calf right leg. Since then I have been taking warfarin and testing my INR (internal normalized ratio). After the first year I had a couple of DVTs, and my leg started to turn dark around my ankle up to my calf. I"ve been in and out the hospital that year, the following year I had pains in my stomach and went in to the hospital. Ultra sound was done and the doctor removed my appendix due to blood clots. While I was in hospital the pain got worse, I went in for other scans and ultra sounds, and the doctor found that my spleen also contained blood clots and that they have to remove my spleen. It was removed and I was in ICU for 2 weeks after which I recovered and went home. Since then the DVT returns regularly every year even though I take my warfarin; they found blood clots in my stomach and this spread to my lungs. The DVT went to my left leg which also started to turn dark and swollen. I wear my elastic stockings permanently. DVT changed my whole life, it is not easy to go on being normal. I feel embarrassed when walking around with shorts, this has also resulted in a lack of self-confidence but I have to adapt to my circumstances, and made the best out of it. But as the years went past I've learnt that the best thing to do is be positive and exercise as much as you can.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had really bad swelling of my left leg, but it did not cause a lot of pain, mostly a pressure type felling, also my left foot was red, and my entire leg was warm and cold at different times. It happened after a double bypass was done and the vein in my left leg was used. It took less than a month for the clot to bother me enough to get me to go to the doctor. So if you have any of these symptoms don't wait, hurry to the hospital. After all test and removal of blood clot I was told I had deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

Comment from: pac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had calf pain for 4 days, no swelling or redness, no warmth or outward signs of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) but had phlebitis 40 years ago and knew what it felt like. My physician's assistant wanted to give me Mobic and send me home but I said I wanted further tests. Doppler ultra-sound was done which confirmed 5 clots in my leg. I was admitted to hospital, had routine chest x-ray showing spot on my lung, CT scan confirmed lung cancer. I am status post chemotherapy/radiation and wear TED hose for car/plane trips and take Pradaxa twice daily, still have wormy feelings in legs and elevate them often. Beware that blood clots often indicate a hidden cancer so get checked out!

Comment from: abhijit123, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is truly a life threatening disease. The above article is very much helpful to those who is suffering from DVT. My mother died due to DVT last month, January 2014. My mother was under treatment for one month. She had not felt any problem to breath and no chest pain but yes she had swelling in the leg which was gradually getting normal. She was properly checked and properly medicated by doctors and the doctors were in every alternate day to test her blood (PT-INR). All was normal as told by doctors from all the departments, that is, medicine, cardiology and hematology. But at last she had breathing problem and we lost her within 10 to 15 minutes.

Published: June 30

I am a 50-year-old woman and have had four episodes of deep vein thrombosis. The first one occurred after my third childbirth. Each time the site is my right leg, probably damaged during the first clot. There is no known factor identified, and I have been on warfarin therapy since the third episode. The first three episodes were accompanied by the usual swelling, heat, discoloration of the leg before I was diagnosed with DVT. But this last time, the clot was caught very early, before the vein was blocked completely. I have noticed that I know something is wrong with circulation in my leg way before these more obvious symptoms begin. These include a feeling of tiredness in the leg, especially when beginning exercise, but then feeling better as exercise increases the circulation. The veins in my foot and ankle stand out more. There is a mild but constant internal ache in the leg and an odd “plugged” feeling. Sometimes the vein actually feels irritated to me, and perhaps more full to the touch. My affected leg is always slightly larger, and slightly a different color than the other, due to poorer circulation, but the color begins to change subtly darker, and it also feels colder than the other foot when this problem is beginning. My right foot will often feel tingly when I first stand on it in the morning, in spite of exercising foot and ankle before getting up. I sometimes have a hard time convincing my physician that I can feel when things are happening inside the vein, but with experience, I am clearer and clearer that I can. He sent me for an ultrasound of my leg this time, even though he said he did not suspect a clot. The ultrasound showed a "web" or strings of clot just beginning to form. My hospital time and rehab has been much quicker.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?