Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: GeekLady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had the first occurrence of deep vein thrombosis in 2011. One leg was swollen, reddish, and there was a lot of pain. One foot was swollen so much there were few shoes I could wear.

Comment from: johnny c., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 18

When 61 years of age I had deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in my right leg. The leg was red and had an abnormal full or stuffed feeling. I went to the doctor and he said it was an infection and gave me some medicine for infection. Two days later the pain was getting worse. I bought a medical book and found that it might be DVT. I went to the same doctor the following day. He said it was getting better and to wait a few days and it would clear up. As he was leaving the room I asked if it could possibly be a DVT. He stopped, felt the leg, left the room and 30 minutes later a nurse came in, took me to x-ray then admitted me into the hospital where another doctor appeared about an hour later saying I had DVT. He said a portion of the clot had already broken off and had entered the lung. He had given me thinner by this time and said that I could possibly die that night but if I didn't it would get better in the morning which it did. Two years later after a 5 hour car trip, another DVT in the same leg. I went to the hospital for 3 or 4 days and then went home. I learned not to stay seated so long. Two years later while looking at the TV monitor a red keyhole-shaped object appeared in my right eye. I thought an insect had landed on my glasses and attempted to brush it away, but found my glasses were not on. It was a broken vein and red blood entered my right eye causing a 'dust storm' in my eye for the next two years. About 8 months later I was driving at night, and seeing a car I thought it had a red light on it. My left eye was bleeding now. My eye doctor never snapped on that something was wrong and didn't offer any cause for the bleeding. Finally a doctor was curious enough to send me to a hematologist; he found I had a blood condition called Factor V Leiden that I had inherited. It had caused all the clotting that I had had. The eyes had veins that ruptured from clotting and then leaked. My doctor prescribed Coumadin and I have been clot free until this time and now am 80 years of age. This is about 12 years of Coumadin that I have taken. I am amazed that no doctor that treated me during this clotting time ever had the interest to go further with a cause study. I have since found that most doctors don't know what Factor V Leiden is. Upon finding the cause of my clotting, I notified my four children and my siblings to get tested for this problem. I don't know how many did, however my oldest son has it and one of my nieces also has the condition. Looking back, my father had the same bleeding in his eyes while he was in his seventies. Knowing what the cause of my problem has allowed me to watch for the signs of DVT and to avoid sitting for a long time while traveling. My right leg has never been the same, I have lost sight in both eyes as a result of the eye doctor lasering the retina veins that clotted and leaked blood. I hope this helps someone out there be more aware of this problem.

Comment from: Jack, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

After being on my knees for three hours working on a patio door, I experienced aching in my left thigh. The pain was so bad I couldn't sleep that night or for many nights thereafter. I assumed I had somehow just pulled a muscle and took ibuprofen to relieve the pain so I could sleep at night. Then I went to work on a job where I had to walk across large, open fields several times and apparently broke the clot loose; all of a sudden I felt dizzy and started cold sweating like a rain shower and used my cell phone to dial 911. When the emergency medical technicians showed up, they transported me as having a heart attack. I was taken to a cardiac specialty hospital in my area and bypassed. The same leg vein was used in the bypass and after hospitalization, my terrible leg aching returned. I have pictures of my thigh looking like a Concord grape from the extraction of the vein.

Comment from: Jessie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I'm a 57 year old male. I had a kidney transplant over 8 years ago. My symptoms of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) started with calf pain in my left leg. I thought had just strained the calf. Five days later, my left calf still ached and was swollen and my ankle began to swell as well. There was a slight discoloration, especially after a shower. I went to the doctor, had an ultra sound and discovered I had DVT. I'm on treatment now. Here is what I want to mention. I had told my doctor a month or so before that I was having tingling and numbness in my left thigh every so often. She attributed it to tight clothing. I'm wondering now if it was an early sign of DVT.

Comment from: Parveen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

In 2010, I had sudden onset of pain in the hip. I immediately thought it was my hip, so I went to my chiropractor for a week (was told my hip was out of whack), until the pain got worse and I noticed a huge bruise on my right hip. I showed my mom and I went to the hospital. I told them I think I broke my hip, they did a bunch of tests and I found out I had deep vein thrombosis. (DVT). My symptoms were tenderness in the leg, hip pain, cold to touch but feeling burning hot, swollen, and reddened color. It was possibly the worst pain I've ever felt. I was 19 years old, and I got it because of birth control pills and smoking.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?