Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: HuntingforAnswers, 25-34 Female Published: September 17

I heard about this two days ago and once I heard about the common symptoms began to worry especially since I have been bothered by something that frequently happens to me. I have noticed that when I am on long flights, or sitting for a long time (at a long dinner) my legs (one or the other) will swell. Usually it is everything below the knee. I feel pain when walking and the definite discomfort of the leg being constrained by the pant fabric. The first instance of this, maybe two years ago, it didn't really bother me; however, I have noticed that it occurs more often although not all the time and it isn't predictable. Is this something that I should worry about?

Comment from: Belladonna1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Both parents (deceased) suffered from high blood pressure and heart disease. At 30 years of age I experienced my first DVT identified with an ultra sound. Treatment included elevation, heat and anti inflammatory doses. I have had 2 surgeries to remove varicose veins on the surface of my legs that were useless. I have experienced several below the knee thrombosis as well as 2 additional above knee thrombosis. It is quite painful, red and hot to the touch and once you've experienced it, you will know what it is. Seek medical attention if you have family history. I am only 45 years old and it's not over yet.

Comment from: wtfrd8, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a paraplegic, and this is the third time in the past month and a half that I have noticed heat, redness and slight swelling. It only lasts for about an hour or so and goes away.

Comment from: Nay-Nay, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I took my fifteen year old daughter to the ER three years ago due to swelling in her left leg. The doctor said they couldn't find anything. This year, I took my daughter to the ER because she complained of pain in her left leg, difficulty walking and mild sob. They said they couldn't find anything and told me to take her home, give her some Motrin, and follow-up with an orthopedic doctor. Four days later, she was still in pain and her leg was swelling up bigger and bigger. This time they did a CAT Scan and found that she had a DVT in her inferior vena cava down her left leg to the knee. The whole vein is clogged and Lovenox and Heparin aren't doing too good.

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Here's what I've experienced with my deep vein thrombosis: My ankles swell, especially my left ankle, but lately both feet at the front are swollen, red, and a little painful. When I point my toes, the skin at the front of my feet feel stretched to the point that it feels as if the skin is going to burst. I have had this for three weeks now, but my ankles have always been swollen. I have recently given up work and put on weight. I am 53 years old and menopausal.

Published: July 11

My leg was swollen and felt very painful. No one could touch my leg it hurt so bad, and it was discolored, all purple. I wasn't getting any circulation through my leg; it was being cut off. I know that many people die from these each year. I had mine for three to four months before the doctor did an ultrasound and found it. I was very fortunate that I didn't have a stroke or even die. It's very important to see a doctor right away if you experience anything like this. Catch it before it catches you!

Published: July 29

First of all there's a swelling in my leg. Later on it became hard to walk. As time passed I was totally arrested on bed with severe pain and I was administrated amoxicillin heparin injections.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?