Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Here's what I've experienced with my deep vein thrombosis: My ankles swell, especially my left ankle, but lately both feet at the front are swollen, red, and a little painful. When I point my toes, the skin at the front of my feet feel stretched to the point that it feels as if the skin is going to burst. I have had this for three weeks now, but my ankles have always been swollen. I have recently given up work and put on weight. I am 53 years old and menopausal.

Published: July 11

My leg was swollen and felt very painful. No one could touch my leg it hurt so bad, and it was discolored, all purple. I wasn't getting any circulation through my leg; it was being cut off. I know that many people die from these each year. I had mine for three to four months before the doctor did an ultrasound and found it. I was very fortunate that I didn't have a stroke or even die. It's very important to see a doctor right away if you experience anything like this. Catch it before it catches you!

Published: July 29

First of all there's a swelling in my leg. Later on it became hard to walk. As time passed I was totally arrested on bed with severe pain and I was administrated amoxicillin heparin injections.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?