Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: July 09

I went on a short plane trip, only two hours long. The next day my leg was sore. By day three, I could barely walk. The calf was swollen and red. I knew something was wrong, for I did not bump or hurt my leg. I waited until I got back from vacation to go to the ER. It was a deep vein thrombosis, and I was lucky for you need to go right away! I was in the hospital two days. Now I am on coumadin. I hope to be off in three months, but once you have a blood clot, you are at a higher risk for another.

Published: June 27

At age 21 was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary emboli. I experienced severe back and jaw pain. After 12 hours of laying in the ER, nobody knowing what was wrong with me one smart doctor decided to check my oxygen levels and they figured it out. I was near death at the time, newly married with a small child. I am so thankful to be alive. The cause? Birth control pills. Beware ladies-the stuff is not good for you.

Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with a PE that doctors believe was a result of an ankle sprain and the use of birth control. I am presently on Coumadin and I am very blessed to be alive ---I had a large clot on my lungs that traveled from my leg that could have cost me my life.

Published: June 18

I noticed I had a bruise on my lower right leg at about the middle of the shinbone. I had no idea how it got there. A couple of days later I noticed a stiffness and a pain in my right leg going from the center of my shinbone to half way up my inner thigh. I am athletic and keep active by bicycling. I was very aware that this pain was coming from a vein and not a muscle. Since my father had Phlebitis many years ago and my sister had died a year and a half ago from Pulmonary Embolism about a month after she suffered a broken leg, (she also was in a wheel chair for the last 15 years from MS), I was pretty sure I was suffering at least with Phlebitis. I went to the Doctor's office the next day. By this time the vein was a little swollen, hard and left a red line on my leg. He sent me to get an ultrasound exam. During the ultrasound it was determined that I had Deep Vein Thrombosis. I got on the Lovenox injections right away as well as the Warfarin. It has been 5 days since my diagnosis and since I started on the meds. So far I have not noticed any reduction of the swelling in my vein but today it might not be quit as painful. I had had surgery on my bladder about 7 weeks before I noticed the thrombosis. May 22 I was on a jet for 5 hours. May 26 I was again on a jet for 5 hours. I attribute the surgery, the jet travel, and heredity to my developing the thrombosis. Luckily I was aware enough about what blood clots in legs can do from the history of other members in my family. I hope I have taken care of this in time. I am sure I have.

Published: June 13

I was 17 years old when my left leg started to hurt a little bit. I didn't think anything of it until a couple days later I woke up, it was swollen, discolored and about 3 times its normal size. I couldn't put any pressure on it but somehow made it into the Er. There I was diagnosed with a DVT. Later I was diagnosed with PE and went through multiple evasive surgeries. I was lucky Ii lived through this. Blood clots are no joke. I will be on blood thinners the rest of my life! Use extreme precaution. If you feel like something is wrong, go with your gut and seek help!

Published: June 04

I am a 29 year old female and I woke up on a Tuesday and couldn't walk so I didn't think anything of it so I wrapped it and continued with my life. That Thursday I was limping around and could hardly walk - so i went to the doctor on Friday and then was admitted to the hospital for treatment. The signs that I had was just a swollen calf since the clot was in my calf. After I knew it was a clot I had tingling in my leg and it felt like my leg was numb. I am just glad it wasn't anything serious - they are dangerous.

Published: June 03

I am a 34 yr old female that was miss diagnosed 3 times before I demanded a doppler test to be done due to pain. I had this pain and chest pain for at least a month and a half. Finally on the day i had the doppler, I went into the er just in time to save my own life. I was already way into the pulmonary embolism and the clot went from my ankle of the left leg to the groin. The entire length of my left leg. It has also splattered to my entire right lung and part of my left. I was immediately put on heparin (sp) and the next day got the shot in the stomach of levinox. My body loved the meds. It was miracle I was alive and Houston doctors were amazed I went probably 2 months with this problem and everyone ignored my issues of pain in the calf and shortness of breathe. It was 100% CAUSED BY MY BIRTH CONTROL PILL. I was only on it for 6 months! Please warn every woman you know. I have now only 6 months of Cumidin to take but I am a walking miracle and a advocate for patient rights!

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?