Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: DonTheTrucker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I discovered my DVT when my leg swelled and became painful. I thought I was bit by a spider or something. Went to the emergency room and the doctor ordered an ultrasound of my leg and discovered the DVT. I had been a truck driver for 35 years and the doctor thinks the long hours behind the wheel in the sitting position was the cause. They have been trying to dissolve the clots for twenty months now. My ultrasounds every six months have shown they are slowly dissolving and about eleven months ago they put a Greenfield filter in me to keep any clots that break loose from getting to my heart. So far so good I'm still here today because they caught it soon enough.

Comment from: Beth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I'm a 41 yr old female, 4 years ago I had a blood clot in my left leg. There was a little swelling at first then came the pain and discolors of the leg when I went to take a shower. A trip to the ER and an ultrasound on my leg determined I had many clots in my leg. Come to find out- I had a birth defect in my artery we never knew about. Did the blood thinner for 3 mos., which I don't need any more (thank goodness- nasty stuff), I still take 1 reg. aspirin a day and use the compression stocking.

Published: July 28

I am a 48 year old male who, near the end of June started experiencing right leg pain. I applied "muscle rubs" and wrapped my calf. It slowly felt better. I then started with pain in my left calf and very quickly found that I could not walk from my bed to the bathroom. I saw my Dr. on July 7, whereas he sent me to the hospital for ultrasounds of both legs to rule out DVT. Needless to say they weren't ruled out. I was told I had three in my right leg and one in my left leg. I had not been on a long trip, had not been injured or had recent surgery. I was tested for a blood disorder he called "sticky blood" and was negative. They started me on Coumadin, and something like Lovenox, except it was 1 injection in my belly per day. They kept asking if I had been short of breath or had any chest pains which I did not. The sent me for a CT of my abdomen to rule out tumor(s) that may have caused the clots and found I had multiple blood clots in both lungs. I was discharged from the hospital on July 11 with Lovenox (2 belly injections per day) until my Coumadin became therapeutic. Blood tests 3 time a week since then and 10 mg. Coumadin on Mondays and 7.5 mg. the rest of the week. Blood tests are down to once a week. I quit smoking 2 packs a day and was told I'm very lucky.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

With deep vein thrombosis I experienced leg cramps and inability to run.

Comment from: quivermom, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I experienced mild shortness of breath on exertion with deep vein thrombosis.

Comment from: LiliMarlene, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My husband is on Coumadin as a result of pulmonary emboli two years ago. He says the Coumadin makes him feel tired, sleepy, out of sorts. He wishes he could quit taking it. I've seen where several have taken Coumadin for 3-6 months and then they're off this med. Are others taking Coumadin "for the rest of your life"? And, what are your side effects from Coumadin?

Comment from: Le Ann, 25-34 Female Published: September 09

I am only 25. I have read some of the comments and have had similar signs. But have not been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis. Tingling in leg veins, tiredness. After my 3rd pregnancy I went to see a vein specialist because I have bad varicose veins. I had an ultra sound done and found both of my Great Saphenus veins in both legs are broken and leaking from pelvis to ankle. They did laser surgery on both and injections to treat the other veins that aren't working. I am not finished with treatments yet. I have been doing them for 4 or 5 months and have about 2 or 3 more months to go until I am finished. My doctor told me I have the veins of a 60 year old person and I am only 25. I am going into the field of Cosmetology, so it is recommended I wear compression stockings every day because I stand a lot. My right leg is finished and feels better, but I have numbness in my big and index toe and my third toe feels stiff. I have told my doctor and his nurse practitioner and not much has been done to see what is causing it. It started after I had the laser surgery done. I hope it goes away.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?