Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: June 13

I was 17 years old when my left leg started to hurt a little bit. I didn't think anything of it until a couple days later I woke up, it was swollen, discolored and about 3 times its normal size. I couldn't put any pressure on it but somehow made it into the Er. There I was diagnosed with a DVT. Later I was diagnosed with PE and went through multiple evasive surgeries. I was lucky Ii lived through this. Blood clots are no joke. I will be on blood thinners the rest of my life! Use extreme precaution. If you feel like something is wrong, go with your gut and seek help!

Published: June 04

I am a 29 year old female and I woke up on a Tuesday and couldn't walk so I didn't think anything of it so I wrapped it and continued with my life. That Thursday I was limping around and could hardly walk - so i went to the doctor on Friday and then was admitted to the hospital for treatment. The signs that I had was just a swollen calf since the clot was in my calf. After I knew it was a clot I had tingling in my leg and it felt like my leg was numb. I am just glad it wasn't anything serious - they are dangerous.

Published: June 03

I am a 34 yr old female that was miss diagnosed 3 times before I demanded a doppler test to be done due to pain. I had this pain and chest pain for at least a month and a half. Finally on the day i had the doppler, I went into the er just in time to save my own life. I was already way into the pulmonary embolism and the clot went from my ankle of the left leg to the groin. The entire length of my left leg. It has also splattered to my entire right lung and part of my left. I was immediately put on heparin (sp) and the next day got the shot in the stomach of levinox. My body loved the meds. It was miracle I was alive and Houston doctors were amazed I went probably 2 months with this problem and everyone ignored my issues of pain in the calf and shortness of breathe. It was 100% CAUSED BY MY BIRTH CONTROL PILL. I was only on it for 6 months! Please warn every woman you know. I have now only 6 months of Cumidin to take but I am a walking miracle and a advocate for patient rights!

Comment from: HuntingforAnswers, 25-34 Female Published: September 17

I heard about this two days ago and once I heard about the common symptoms began to worry especially since I have been bothered by something that frequently happens to me. I have noticed that when I am on long flights, or sitting for a long time (at a long dinner) my legs (one or the other) will swell. Usually it is everything below the knee. I feel pain when walking and the definite discomfort of the leg being constrained by the pant fabric. The first instance of this, maybe two years ago, it didn't really bother me; however, I have noticed that it occurs more often although not all the time and it isn't predictable. Is this something that I should worry about?

Comment from: Belladonna1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Both parents (deceased) suffered from high blood pressure and heart disease. At 30 years of age I experienced my first DVT identified with an ultra sound. Treatment included elevation, heat and anti inflammatory doses. I have had 2 surgeries to remove varicose veins on the surface of my legs that were useless. I have experienced several below the knee thrombosis as well as 2 additional above knee thrombosis. It is quite painful, red and hot to the touch and once you've experienced it, you will know what it is. Seek medical attention if you have family history. I am only 45 years old and it's not over yet.

Comment from: wtfrd8, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a paraplegic, and this is the third time in the past month and a half that I have noticed heat, redness and slight swelling. It only lasts for about an hour or so and goes away.

Comment from: Nay-Nay, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I took my fifteen year old daughter to the ER three years ago due to swelling in her left leg. The doctor said they couldn't find anything. This year, I took my daughter to the ER because she complained of pain in her left leg, difficulty walking and mild sob. They said they couldn't find anything and told me to take her home, give her some Motrin, and follow-up with an orthopedic doctor. Four days later, she was still in pain and her leg was swelling up bigger and bigger. This time they did a CAT Scan and found that she had a DVT in her inferior vena cava down her left leg to the knee. The whole vein is clogged and Lovenox and Heparin aren't doing too good.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?