Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

With deep vein thrombosis I experienced leg cramps and inability to run.

Comment from: quivermom, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I experienced mild shortness of breath on exertion with deep vein thrombosis.

Comment from: LiliMarlene, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My husband is on Coumadin as a result of pulmonary emboli two years ago. He says the Coumadin makes him feel tired, sleepy, out of sorts. He wishes he could quit taking it. I've seen where several have taken Coumadin for 3-6 months and then they're off this med. Are others taking Coumadin "for the rest of your life"? And, what are your side effects from Coumadin?

Comment from: Le Ann, 25-34 Female Published: September 09

I am only 25. I have read some of the comments and have had similar signs. But have not been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis. Tingling in leg veins, tiredness. After my 3rd pregnancy I went to see a vein specialist because I have bad varicose veins. I had an ultra sound done and found both of my Great Saphenus veins in both legs are broken and leaking from pelvis to ankle. They did laser surgery on both and injections to treat the other veins that aren't working. I am not finished with treatments yet. I have been doing them for 4 or 5 months and have about 2 or 3 more months to go until I am finished. My doctor told me I have the veins of a 60 year old person and I am only 25. I am going into the field of Cosmetology, so it is recommended I wear compression stockings every day because I stand a lot. My right leg is finished and feels better, but I have numbness in my big and index toe and my third toe feels stiff. I have told my doctor and his nurse practitioner and not much has been done to see what is causing it. It started after I had the laser surgery done. I hope it goes away.

Comment from: Carise, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had a sudden onset of extreme swelling in the left leg, a purple-reddish color in the leg, and pain when moving the leg. A few days before the actual signs of deep vein thrombosis presented themselves in my leg, I experienced a fever and dizziness.

Published: July 18

I am a 17-year-old male diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis in my left calf. My leg was painful and, on the day of the emergency room visit, very swollen. I was put on Lovenox for three months, four shots a day. Now, three months later, my clot has dissolved. I have now been referred to an immunologists for further studies.

Published: July 17

I was on birth control for many years. Last summer I spent far too long in a car on a drive from CT to NC. I knew I should have gotten out more, but I was just anxious to get where I was going. Around July 15, my right leg was a bit sore on the inside of my thigh just above my knee. By July 26, my right leg was blotchy and swollen at the bottom, near the ankle, and it hurt to walk on. I went to the doctor, and I was sent for an ultrasound to rule out DVT. The people checked above my knee, but not below. The scan was clear. I was diagnosed with cellulitis and started on antibiotics. Truth be told, I had cellulitis in the past and it resembled it now. Over the next two weeks, the pain worsened, the swelling down by my ankles and calves worsened, and it started to spread to my left leg. I also can't put my finger on the exact date, but around the first of August I began to have extreme difficulty breathing. I figured it was due to the air quality alerts we were under at the time. Sitting and talking, while doing no other activity, would leave me out of breath. Finally, on August 8 I went to the doctor again. He took one look at me and sent me right to the ER. My D-dimer test was positive, and my VQ scan showed a moderate probability of a PE. The ultrasound showed a large blood clot in the greater saphenous vein (which is NOT a deep vein) that extended all the way to the juncture with the femoral vein. I also had a slightly enlarged heart from the strain of the clot in my lung. I was on warfarin therapy for seven months, along with Lovenox for the first two weeks. I've discontinued the use of birth control, and you better believe I get out of the car every hour like clockwork. I'm about to have surgery again, for which my doctor recommended the insertion of the vena cava filter and prophylactic Lovenox treatment for six to eight weeks (ugh!!). But better than the alternative! Be aware when something doesn't feel right! Don't try to talk yourself out of it

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?