Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: pac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had calf pain for 4 days, no swelling or redness, no warmth or outward signs of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) but had phlebitis 40 years ago and knew what it felt like. My physician's assistant wanted to give me Mobic and send me home but I said I wanted further tests. Doppler ultra-sound was done which confirmed 5 clots in my leg. I was admitted to hospital, had routine chest x-ray showing spot on my lung, CT scan confirmed lung cancer. I am status post chemotherapy/radiation and wear TED hose for car/plane trips and take Pradaxa twice daily, still have wormy feelings in legs and elevate them often. Beware that blood clots often indicate a hidden cancer so get checked out!

Comment from: abhijit123, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is truly a life threatening disease. The above article is very much helpful to those who is suffering from DVT. My mother died due to DVT last month, January 2014. My mother was under treatment for one month. She had not felt any problem to breath and no chest pain but yes she had swelling in the leg which was gradually getting normal. She was properly checked and properly medicated by doctors and the doctors were in every alternate day to test her blood (PT-INR). All was normal as told by doctors from all the departments, that is, medicine, cardiology and hematology. But at last she had breathing problem and we lost her within 10 to 15 minutes.

Published: June 30

I am a 50-year-old woman and have had four episodes of deep vein thrombosis. The first one occurred after my third childbirth. Each time the site is my right leg, probably damaged during the first clot. There is no known factor identified, and I have been on warfarin therapy since the third episode. The first three episodes were accompanied by the usual swelling, heat, discoloration of the leg before I was diagnosed with DVT. But this last time, the clot was caught very early, before the vein was blocked completely. I have noticed that I know something is wrong with circulation in my leg way before these more obvious symptoms begin. These include a feeling of tiredness in the leg, especially when beginning exercise, but then feeling better as exercise increases the circulation. The veins in my foot and ankle stand out more. There is a mild but constant internal ache in the leg and an odd “plugged” feeling. Sometimes the vein actually feels irritated to me, and perhaps more full to the touch. My affected leg is always slightly larger, and slightly a different color than the other, due to poorer circulation, but the color begins to change subtly darker, and it also feels colder than the other foot when this problem is beginning. My right foot will often feel tingly when I first stand on it in the morning, in spite of exercising foot and ankle before getting up. I sometimes have a hard time convincing my physician that I can feel when things are happening inside the vein, but with experience, I am clearer and clearer that I can. He sent me for an ultrasound of my leg this time, even though he said he did not suspect a clot. The ultrasound showed a "web" or strings of clot just beginning to form. My hospital time and rehab has been much quicker.

Published: May 22

I experienced leg pain and swelling around my left knee which I ignored for several days. I than experienced groin pain and my foot became very cold. And along with the swelling I had tenderness and redness of the leg. this was all in a matter of 1 week. I panicked went straight to ER and was examined by two md's, had a doppler done on the leg, 2 clots were found, one in the groin area and one smaller one behind my knee, I was then immediately hooked up to IV heperin and was told I was not too get out of bed for the fear of the moving. One clot was found in the groin area and because of the large size of it, it had actually blocked a valve in the groin area that resulted in the the blockage of flow of blood thru my leg. they determined that the smaller clot behind my knee had broken from the larger one that was in the groin area. I spent almost 2 weeks laid up in the hospital with an IV blood thinner. I had to be scanned/x rayed from head to toe before I could be released from hospital. This was 5 years ago, I still depend on compression stockings to help with swelling and discomfort of the leg and I also take a low dose of aspirin daily.

Comment from: jimjohn620, 75 or over (Patient) Published: July 08

On April 13, 2015 I had transurethral opening at the bladder under general anesthesia and woke up with 217/105 blood pressure, and amaurosis fugax in my left eye that lasted over an hour. Several days later following a brain scan and overnight hospital stay, I experienced serious pain across my groin, and the pain centered deep in mid right thigh muscle and moving to the calf, making me unable to walk without crutches. This began soon after removal of catheter a week following surgery. I read an article in our newspaper about deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and am scared to death now.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?