Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Jessie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I'm a 57 year old male. I had a kidney transplant over 8 years ago. My symptoms of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) started with calf pain in my left leg. I thought had just strained the calf. Five days later, my left calf still ached and was swollen and my ankle began to swell as well. There was a slight discoloration, especially after a shower. I went to the doctor, had an ultra sound and discovered I had DVT. I'm on treatment now. Here is what I want to mention. I had told my doctor a month or so before that I was having tingling and numbness in my left thigh every so often. She attributed it to tight clothing. I'm wondering now if it was an early sign of DVT.

Comment from: Hadie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

My left leg over a two year period gradually became smaller than my right. I went to many doctors, and they all told me various versions of 'it is not that bad, it is normal, it has always been that way, etc., etc.' It is a good thing I kept trying to find a doctor who would not dismiss me but would listen. He did an MRI and it turns out I had a fibroid tumor growing on the outside of my uterus that had almost pressed the main artery to my left leg closed. The artery was down to 1/16th its normal size. I could very well have lost my leg or gotten a clot. So pay attention to your body and find a doctor who will as well.

Comment from: Ss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Severe calf pain and swelling were my symptoms of deep vein thrombosis.

Comment from: Parveen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

In 2010, I had sudden onset of pain in the hip. I immediately thought it was my hip, so I went to my chiropractor for a week (was told my hip was out of whack), until the pain got worse and I noticed a huge bruise on my right hip. I showed my mom and I went to the hospital. I told them I think I broke my hip, they did a bunch of tests and I found out I had deep vein thrombosis. (DVT). My symptoms were tenderness in the leg, hip pain, cold to touch but feeling burning hot, swollen, and reddened color. It was possibly the worst pain I've ever felt. I was 19 years old, and I got it because of birth control pills and smoking.

Comment from: Denis, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I"m a 23 years old boy. I had a rugby injury when I was 15 year of age and they diagnosed me with acute deep vein thrombosis (DVT) on my calf right leg. Since then I have been taking warfarin and testing my INR (internal normalized ratio). After the first year I had a couple of DVTs, and my leg started to turn dark around my ankle up to my calf. I"ve been in and out the hospital that year, the following year I had pains in my stomach and went in to the hospital. Ultra sound was done and the doctor removed my appendix due to blood clots. While I was in hospital the pain got worse, I went in for other scans and ultra sounds, and the doctor found that my spleen also contained blood clots and that they have to remove my spleen. It was removed and I was in ICU for 2 weeks after which I recovered and went home. Since then the DVT returns regularly every year even though I take my warfarin; they found blood clots in my stomach and this spread to my lungs. The DVT went to my left leg which also started to turn dark and swollen. I wear my elastic stockings permanently. DVT changed my whole life, it is not easy to go on being normal. I feel embarrassed when walking around with shorts, this has also resulted in a lack of self-confidence but I have to adapt to my circumstances, and made the best out of it. But as the years went past I've learnt that the best thing to do is be positive and exercise as much as you can.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had really bad swelling of my left leg, but it did not cause a lot of pain, mostly a pressure type felling, also my left foot was red, and my entire leg was warm and cold at different times. It happened after a double bypass was done and the vein in my left leg was used. It took less than a month for the clot to bother me enough to get me to go to the doctor. So if you have any of these symptoms don't wait, hurry to the hospital. After all test and removal of blood clot I was told I had deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?