Patient Comments: Deep Vein Thrombosis - Symptoms

For deep vein thrombosis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: erin, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

When I went on a trip I was stuck in the car for nearly 10 hours barely getting out. When I got to the hotel I noticed throbbing in my leg, like a huge artery was pulsing. I told my doctor when it wouldn't stop. They ordered an ultra sound on everywhere but where I had the problem (why even order it I wonder) and the pulsing hasn't stopped. Today I woke up with my leg hurting all day it felt sore and my left leg is about 3 degrees lower than my right. I am going to the doctor tomorrow.

Published: May 22

I experienced leg pain and swelling around my left knee which I ignored for several days. I than experienced groin pain and my foot became very cold. And along with the swelling I had tenderness and redness of the leg. this was all in a matter of 1 week. I panicked went straight to ER and was examined by two md's, had a doppler done on the leg, 2 clots were found, one in the groin area and one smaller one behind my knee, I was then immediately hooked up to IV heperin and was told I was not too get out of bed for the fear of the moving. One clot was found in the groin area and because of the large size of it, it had actually blocked a valve in the groin area that resulted in the the blockage of flow of blood thru my leg. they determined that the smaller clot behind my knee had broken from the larger one that was in the groin area. I spent almost 2 weeks laid up in the hospital with an IV blood thinner. I had to be scanned/x rayed from head to toe before I could be released from hospital. This was 5 years ago, I still depend on compression stockings to help with swelling and discomfort of the leg and I also take a low dose of aspirin daily.

Comment from: Browne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My problem started a while back after I had a knee replacement. One day my right leg started hurting and the knee was really warm or hot to the touch. I went and had a doppler done on my leg and they found a large blood clot. I was put in the hospital and given Warfarin and Lovenox shots for three days. My blood did not thin so I was sent to the blood center to be given Lovenox shot. This was 2 months ago and my blood will not thin with the warfarin. I am still talking shots. I went to a blood doctor and they did test but could not find any reason why the blood thinners do not work. Now am going to see another blood doctor 300 miles away from me to see if they can get my blood to thin. My question is this: Is there any others who have the problem I have with thinning my blood.

Comment from: DonTheTrucker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I discovered my DVT when my leg swelled and became painful. I thought I was bit by a spider or something. Went to the emergency room and the doctor ordered an ultrasound of my leg and discovered the DVT. I had been a truck driver for 35 years and the doctor thinks the long hours behind the wheel in the sitting position was the cause. They have been trying to dissolve the clots for twenty months now. My ultrasounds every six months have shown they are slowly dissolving and about eleven months ago they put a Greenfield filter in me to keep any clots that break loose from getting to my heart. So far so good I'm still here today because they caught it soon enough.

Comment from: Beth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I'm a 41 yr old female, 4 years ago I had a blood clot in my left leg. There was a little swelling at first then came the pain and discolors of the leg when I went to take a shower. A trip to the ER and an ultrasound on my leg determined I had many clots in my leg. Come to find out- I had a birth defect in my artery we never knew about. Did the blood thinner for 3 mos., which I don't need any more (thank goodness- nasty stuff), I still take 1 reg. aspirin a day and use the compression stocking.

Published: July 28

I am a 48 year old male who, near the end of June started experiencing right leg pain. I applied "muscle rubs" and wrapped my calf. It slowly felt better. I then started with pain in my left calf and very quickly found that I could not walk from my bed to the bathroom. I saw my Dr. on July 7, whereas he sent me to the hospital for ultrasounds of both legs to rule out DVT. Needless to say they weren't ruled out. I was told I had three in my right leg and one in my left leg. I had not been on a long trip, had not been injured or had recent surgery. I was tested for a blood disorder he called "sticky blood" and was negative. They started me on Coumadin, and something like Lovenox, except it was 1 injection in my belly per day. They kept asking if I had been short of breath or had any chest pains which I did not. The sent me for a CT of my abdomen to rule out tumor(s) that may have caused the clots and found I had multiple blood clots in both lungs. I was discharged from the hospital on July 11 with Lovenox (2 belly injections per day) until my Coumadin became therapeutic. Blood tests 3 time a week since then and 10 mg. Coumadin on Mondays and 7.5 mg. the rest of the week. Blood tests are down to once a week. I quit smoking 2 packs a day and was told I'm very lucky.

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent a recurrence of deep vein thrombosis?
Deep Vein Thrombosis - Possible Causes Question: Were you pregnant or did you sit on a plane for a long time? What was the cause of your deep vein thrombosis?