- Anatomy of an Ear Infection Slideshow Pictures
- Ear Infection Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Tinnitus (Ringing of the Ears) Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Hearing Loss - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Hearing Loss - Treatment
What are the symptoms of hearing loss?
Symptoms of hearing loss include mild loss of high frequency hearing, hearing loss associated with ringing or noises (tinnitus), and complete deafness. Symptoms may develop gradually over time with many causes of hearing loss.
People who are experiencing hearing loss may refrain from taking part in conversations, may turn the volume up high on the radio or TV, and may frequently ask others to repeat what they have said.
What is the treatment for hearing loss?
The treatment of hearing loss depends on its cause. For example:
- Ear wax can be removed
- Ear infection can be treated with medications
- Diseases that cause inflammation of the ear can be treated with medication
- Medications that are toxic to the ear can be avoided
- Occasionally surgical procedures are necessary
Medically reviewed by Peter O’Connor, MD; American Board of Otolaryngology with subspecialty in Sleep Medicine
MedscapeReference.com. Hearing Impairment.