Patient Comments: De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for De Quervain's tenosynovitis in you or someone you know?

Comment from: LER819, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

My wrist, hand, and thumb pain has been chronic and ranges from moderate to severe throughout the day. I recently started treating with a doctor who does manipulative treatments which include percussion treatments. Yesterday my hand and wrist were at a 9 on pain scale of 1 to 10. Since the doctor did the percussion work, nearly 24 hours ago, I have been nearly pain free. I want to find more research on this treatment for De Quervain's tenosynovitis!

Comment from: Zoramar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed with De Quervain's tenosynovitis by a physician's assistant in April and told there was no treatment beyond occupational therapy, alternate cold and hot, and Aleve. I saw a hand surgeon 3 weeks ago and he gave me a shot of cortisone; a panacea like no other. I have had excellent results for 3 plus weeks now.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

De Quervain's tenosynovitis

Comment from: Chelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was diagnosed with De Quervain's tenosynovitis in my right wrist, and had an injection to the left side of my right wrist. Also, when it flares, aside from icing, ibuprofen and anti-inflammatory patches, I sleep with a brace, a huge help.

Comment from: cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I finally had surgery about 5 years ago for De Quervain's tenosynovitis and all was great in both hands until I fell. Trying to catch myself something came loose, and my hand blew like a balloon. The pain was unbearable, and now my right wrist looks like it is broken, and I can't use my thumb much at all. It's very painful at times. I have no insurance and no doctor.

Comment from: tomcaia012, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had De Quervain"s tenosynovitis for six months and diagnosed 4 months ago. I did therapy and got the dexamethasone injection with lidocaine and Marcaine but that lasted all but 30 minutes and the pain returned. They say it was from gaming but I never had this problem until I had a new born in the end of November. I am scheduled for another injection; not sure if that will work but I do not want to get surgery. This sucks because I am in the military and having this is difficult.

Comment from: judyj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

It was 9 weeks after diagnosis of De Quervain"s tenosynovitis to get cortisone injections. The pain kept increasing till it was unbearable. Naproxen had no effect. Injection was only at the top (back of hand). The pain stopped on top of the wrist and thumb but not underneath (palm of hand). The medicine did not travel. Later x-rays showed no cartilage left and the doctor said that"s why the medicine did not travel to the other side. He said I cannot get injections for 4 months (only 3 times a year) or it causes bone damage. Wrist splints press on the area and hurt causing more inflammation. I never did repetitive movements. This is very disabling.

Comment from: dbeedle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I first had symptoms three months ago. De Quervain's tenosynovitis was diagnosed and I had a steroid injection in my wrist and wore a brace to immobilize the wrist and thumb. The doctor advised me that surgery might be required. The wrist seemed to be much better after four weeks and there was no pain. However, about two weeks ago the pain came back with a vengeance. I am scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had the surgery for De Quervain's about 2 years ago. It was a big improvement as the cortisone did nothing for my pain, however the pain is now starting to return. I'm not sure what is available at this point to help. I'm not looking forward to the brace or injections again.

De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with De Quervain's tenosynovitis?
De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Diagnosis Question: What were the events that led to a diagnosis of De Quervain's tenosynovitis?