Patient Comments: De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for De Quervain's tenosynovitis in you or someone you know?

Comment from: tomcaia012, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had De Quervain"s tenosynovitis for six months and diagnosed 4 months ago. I did therapy and got the dexamethasone injection with lidocaine and Marcaine but that lasted all but 30 minutes and the pain returned. They say it was from gaming but I never had this problem until I had a new born in the end of November. I am scheduled for another injection; not sure if that will work but I do not want to get surgery. This sucks because I am in the military and having this is difficult.

Comment from: judyj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

It was 9 weeks after diagnosis of De Quervain"s tenosynovitis to get cortisone injections. The pain kept increasing till it was unbearable. Naproxen had no effect. Injection was only at the top (back of hand). The pain stopped on top of the wrist and thumb but not underneath (palm of hand). The medicine did not travel. Later x-rays showed no cartilage left and the doctor said that"s why the medicine did not travel to the other side. He said I cannot get injections for 4 months (only 3 times a year) or it causes bone damage. Wrist splints press on the area and hurt causing more inflammation. I never did repetitive movements. This is very disabling.

Comment from: dbeedle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I first had symptoms three months ago. De Quervain's tenosynovitis was diagnosed and I had a steroid injection in my wrist and wore a brace to immobilize the wrist and thumb. The doctor advised me that surgery might be required. The wrist seemed to be much better after four weeks and there was no pain. However, about two weeks ago the pain came back with a vengeance. I am scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had the surgery for De Quervain's about 2 years ago. It was a big improvement as the cortisone did nothing for my pain, however the pain is now starting to return. I'm not sure what is available at this point to help. I'm not looking forward to the brace or injections again.

Comment from: merly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I suffered for this de quirevans desease for 2 long years, but only cortisone injection healed the inflammation and severe pain. I found a doctor from Taiwan hospital where I stayed for 24 hours confinement.

Comment from: Alex, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

The injection I had only worked for 3 days then the pain came back much worse! Surgery helped so much. I'm now 8 weeks post-op and doing so much better.

Comment from: suzq, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have had the injection for this, but being diabetic, it is taking longer to heal. It has been three months and I am still in pain but not as much as previously. It is very hard to wipe when using the bathroom. That always makes the pain much worse.

De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with De Quervain's tenosynovitis?
De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Diagnosis Question: What were the events that led to a diagnosis of De Quervain's tenosynovitis?