Patient Comments: De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Diagnosis

What were the events that led to a diagnosis of De Quervain's tenosynovitis?

Comment from: Shannon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had about 3 months of aching in my left wrist that progressed. Eventually, my hand would go numb while sleeping. When I would move my thumb it became like a stabbing pain. I went to my orthopedists and they knew right away that it was De Quervain's tenosynovitis. I have been in a brace for 2 weeks and it helps a great deal although I have to take it off to bathe and do dishes. Occasionally, I move it the wrong way and the pain takes my breath away. I am hoping the 4 weeks in a brace will take care of it in order to avoid surgery. Doctor feels that the nerve is inflamed; hope that doesn't mean longer in this brace.

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I play kickball during the summer and back in 2012 I noticed a pain in my thumb/wrist while playing that gradually got worse the more I used that hand. I went to the doctor for something unrelated and ended up asking him about this pain. It was funny because I did the test for him. I told him, "when I do this with my thumb it hurts... what is that?" And he replied with saying, well you just did the test for De Quervain's. I thought he was making up the name and made him write it down for me so I could prove to everyone it wasn't a made up thing.

Comment from: Mnkyprincess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I began experiencing pain in my thumbs and wrists a few weeks after my first baby was born. The pain just kept getting worse and worse the more I would lift my baby and make pinching/twisting/grasping movements with my hands in caring for my home and family. My OB/Gyn doc suggested I try physical therapy first before seeing an orthopedic doc. My phys therapist was actually the first to diagnose me. I eventually ended up going to an orthopedic doc and he confirmed the diagnosis of De Quervain's Tenosynovitis.

De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with De Quervain's tenosynovitis?
De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for De Quervain's tenosynovitis in you or someone you know?