Patient Comments: De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with De Quervain's tenosynovitis?

Comment from: nitza, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I am seeking information and help for my dominating right hand. I had an accident five months ago, I had an air cast for 6 weeks, then a hard cast for 11 days because the cast was tight and all of my fingers turned purple, so they had to remove the cast. Then I had to keep a hard brace on for 6 more weeks. After the hand specialist saw me he said I had developed arthritis and tendinosis. Four weeks after the corticosteroid shot they say I have De Quervain's disease, carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel. I have to sleep with an elbow brace and a splint that was built for me. The pain is unbearable and the tingling and numbness have not gone away. I am afraid that I won't be able to regain my strength. I have been to physical therapy and occupational therapy for 21 visits, but I still haven't gained much strength. I am an assistant chef and have not been able to use my chef knife because I can't hold it for long. I want to die from the pain on my forearm and wrist. I would love to be able to go back to work.

Comment from: ArtsyLady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was just diagnosed with De Quervain's tenosynovitis last week by my new primary care doctor. The symptoms started a year ago right after having carpal tunnel surgery. The neurologist who did my carpal tunnel surgery seemed unconcerned and kept telling me to exercise my hand by squeezing an exercise ball. I've been doing that for the past year with no relief. In fact the pain has worsened. I'm wondering if the surgeon may have accidentally cut or dislodged a tendon causing this to happen. I have been wearing a brace for several months with no relief. The pain has just progressively gotten worse and worse. I'm thinking about contacting a lawyer to investigate whether this was caused by surgeon error or just a coincidence that the pain started immediately after the carpal tunnel surgery.

Comment from: Aira, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

With De Quervain's tenosynovitis, I have painful sensation when there's a movement. Especially when I'm writing and drawing. This was also felt when I was pulling my bow.

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Shortly after a carpal tunnel surgery I began to feel a slight grating as I moved my thumb away and bent my wrist. It began to get painful each time I did this.

Comment from: lea, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

It's been two weeks and I am having pain in both of my wrists and the lower sides of my thumbs. The pain occurs when I open, close, spread out my fingers, or fold my thumb up.

De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Diagnosis Question: What were the events that led to a diagnosis of De Quervain's tenosynovitis?
De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for De Quervain's tenosynovitis in you or someone you know?