- Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow: Causes, Tests and Treatment
- Atrial Fibrillation (A-Fib) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- A Visual Guide to Heart Disease
- What is dabigatran, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for dabigatran?
- Is dabigatran available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for dabigatran?
- What are the uses for dabigatran?
- What are the side effects of dabigatran?
- What is the dosage for dabigatran?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with dabigatran?
- Is dabigatran safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about dabigatran?
What is dabigatran, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Dabigatran is an oral drug used to treat and prevent blood clots (an anticoagulant or blood thinner) in the hearts of patients with atrial fibrillation. These clots are likely to break into pieces and travel to the brain to cause strokes.
- Similarly, it is used to treat and prevent blood clots in the deep veins of the legs (deep venous thrombosis or DVT) and blood clots in the lungs. Blood clots in the deep veins of the legs are likely to break into pieces and travel to the lungs to block arteries in the lungs (pulmonary embolus or PE). Dabigatran works by blocking the action of thrombin a protein that is necessary for the coagulation of blood that results in blood clots. Reducing the action of thrombin reduces the ability of blood to clot.
- Dabigatran was approved by the FDA on October 2010.
What brand names are available for dabigatran?
Is dabigatran available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: No
Do I need a prescription for dabigatran?
What are the uses for dabigatran?
- Dabigatran is used for reducing the risk of blood clots in the heart, and resulting strokes in patients with atrial fibrillation who have no problems with their heart valves (nonvalvular atrial fibrillation). It also is used for treating and preventing deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
What are the side effects of dabigatran?
Common side effects of dabigatran include:
- Symptoms of gastritis
Other serious side effects include:
- The most serious side effect is major bleeding. Major bleeding includes hemorrhagic stroke, intracranial hemorrhage, fatal bleeding, and gastrointestinal bleeds.
- Dabigatran increases the risk of bleeding and can cause significant and, sometimes, fatal bleeding. All signs or symptoms of blood loss such as a drop in hemoglobin and/or hematocrit or low blood pressure should be evaluated and dabigatran should be discontinued in patients with active bleeding.
Quick GuideAtrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Afib Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.