Patient Comments: Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with CMV?

Comment from: Sickofbeingsick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have been sick most of my life. I have been given 10 different diagnosis, but no one ever figured this cytomegalovirus (CMV) out till recently! I am so depressed to know there is no cure! I am fed up with feeling like awful and am frustrated! Good luck to anyone else who suffers from this! I also have Lyme disease, lupus, and discoid sarcoidosis, fibromyalgia, Epstein–Barr virus, chronic fatigue and peripheral neuropathy! I keep trudging along but am extremely depressed!

Comment from: AD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I experienced body aches like I had the flu. My stomach really hurt too and I had no energy. I took a nap every day with my toddler daughter and woke up still achy and feeling bad. That's it. No fever and no other symptoms. Doctor treated me for a urinary tract infection, but after the antibiotics were finished I still felt awful. He ordered more bloodwork and determined it was CMV (cytomegalovirus). Today is 3 weeks since the illness started and I started to feel better yesterday. My stomach still feels tender and he said to give that 2 more weeks.

Comment from: Jake, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I've been experiencing constant fatigue, redness and mottling to both arms and extreme red palms. Additionally my upper and lower joints constantly ache. My physician did inform me that my test came back positive for cytomegalovirus (CMV, it's just that I couldn't find any information pointing to my particular signs and symptoms. My platelets have been slightly low as well. I'm a paramedic and wonder how I contracted CMV and if I would be putting patients at risk even though I'm practicing good body substance isolation.

Comment from: Roberto, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

One year back I had unprotected sexual relation and since then I was not the same. It started with sore throat, headache and weakness, just like a flu, but I was not sure I had a sexually transmitted disease, so I got test for that which turned positive for CMV (cytomegalovirus). Doctors just told me it is going to go away and to have protected sexual relations. Since then I have felt fatigues and very depressive, I am not able to take up hard work because it is very exhausting to me. I have occasional headache and joint pain, numb sensation in my hands, arm and legs, and my ears and eyes gets painful sometime. I have noted acne like lesions in my face that I hadn't before, and finally I have stomach issues too, some times more painful than others. I would like to know if there's something to get relief from this awful illness. Regards and support to the people which struggle with this too.

Comment from: Tami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had extreme fatigue, sore throat, low grade fever and mid-section bloating that lasted nearly 6 weeks to the day. Cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection is very scary.

Comment from: MiniMom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am a 65 year old woman, very fit and healthy. In August I started to feel tired while walking on the golf course and pushing my cart. It got to the point where I was quitting after 6 or 7 holes and dragging myself back to my car, not sure if I had the strength to lift my gear back into the trunk. I waited a month before seeing my doctor because I felt it might have been the heat or something else simple to explain. But by mid-September, when I was still feeling exhausted after slight exertion I finally started the medical exploration process. Many blood tests and a lung x-ray later, I found out that I have cytomegalovirus (CMV)! And apparently had it since late July. I am told that I just have to let this virus run its course. Tiredness is my only symptom. I'm wondering how long this may last.

Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Prevention Question: Please share tips and suggestions for preventing CMV.
Cytomegalovirus - HIV Question: If you have HIV, please share your experience with CMV.
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your CMV?