Patient Comments: Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with CMV?

Comment from: Ronni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

When I was 40, I was very yellow, and had absolutely no energy, could hardly even walk, and felt like I was dying. I had blood test run, my CMV (cytomegalovirus) test was extremely high, along with my LFTs (liver function tests). I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis (AH). That was 25 years ago, I don't know which illness came first. I am being treated for AH. I was never treated for CMV.

Comment from: mommaxena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had cytomegalovirus (CMV) many years ago. I had raging fever for almost 6 weeks, 101 to 104. Bone and joint pain was off the charts at times. I had extreme fatigue and overall weakness. I lost almost 30 lb. I have later in life been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My gut says there is some connection.

Comment from: Sickofbeingsick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have been sick most of my life. I have been given 10 different diagnosis, but no one ever figured this cytomegalovirus (CMV) out till recently! I am so depressed to know there is no cure! I am fed up with feeling like awful and am frustrated! Good luck to anyone else who suffers from this! I also have Lyme disease, lupus, and discoid sarcoidosis, fibromyalgia, Epstein–Barr virus, chronic fatigue and peripheral neuropathy! I keep trudging along but am extremely depressed!

Comment from: AD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I experienced body aches like I had the flu. My stomach really hurt too and I had no energy. I took a nap every day with my toddler daughter and woke up still achy and feeling bad. That's it. No fever and no other symptoms. Doctor treated me for a urinary tract infection, but after the antibiotics were finished I still felt awful. He ordered more bloodwork and determined it was CMV (cytomegalovirus). Today is 3 weeks since the illness started and I started to feel better yesterday. My stomach still feels tender and he said to give that 2 more weeks.

Comment from: Jake, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I've been experiencing constant fatigue, redness and mottling to both arms and extreme red palms. Additionally my upper and lower joints constantly ache. My physician did inform me that my test came back positive for cytomegalovirus (CMV, it's just that I couldn't find any information pointing to my particular signs and symptoms. My platelets have been slightly low as well. I'm a paramedic and wonder how I contracted CMV and if I would be putting patients at risk even though I'm practicing good body substance isolation.

Comment from: SLP, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had fever as high as 102 and had no strength for many months due to CMV (cytomegalovirus). Even when I returned to work, I had permission to go home if my temperature rose above 100.

Comment from: Roberto, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

One year back I had unprotected sexual relation and since then I was not the same. It started with sore throat, headache and weakness, just like a flu, but I was not sure I had a sexually transmitted disease, so I got test for that which turned positive for CMV (cytomegalovirus). Doctors just told me it is going to go away and to have protected sexual relations. Since then I have felt fatigues and very depressive, I am not able to take up hard work because it is very exhausting to me. I have occasional headache and joint pain, numb sensation in my hands, arm and legs, and my ears and eyes gets painful sometime. I have noted acne like lesions in my face that I hadn't before, and finally I have stomach issues too, some times more painful than others. I would like to know if there's something to get relief from this awful illness. Regards and support to the people which struggle with this too.

Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Prevention Question: Please share tips and suggestions for preventing CMV.
Cytomegalovirus - Risk Factors Question: If you have HIV, please share your experience with CMV.
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your CMV?