Patient Comments: Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with CMV?

Comment from: mla, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I began experiencing quite serious unexplainable fatigue when I was 16 years old and was tested for many things. The only thing that came up was that I had had cytomegalovirus (CMV). The doctor say this was the only plausible reason for my fatigue and bone aches. I am now 21 with no progression, still struggling to get through one day without having a 2 or so hour nap. Everyday tasks are exhausting and it's very hard to be motivated. Would love any form of help!

Comment from: CarJo1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

When I was 27 years old, I got really sick and had a very high fever. I didn't have insurance and didn't go to the doctor when I first got sick. When I did go, I had had the fever, brain fog, a pasty film in my mouth, severe weakness and deep muscle pain for almost 2 weeks until I could get to a doctor. He said I had the flu and that was about it. A couple of years later, I was working in a reference lab and a friend that did TORCH panels, tested me just to see if I had any antibody levels to anything. My CMV (cytomegalovirus) level was through the roof. I had been suffering with extreme lethargy and brain fog all that time. I am now 52 years old and had to retire with disability because of the damage done to my immune system. I attribute my health problems to adult onset of CMV. I have chronic fibromyalgia, brain fog, joint pain, neuropathy, lymphocytic colitis, etc. I have many more health problems that I could probably attribute to the CMV that may not be linked to it yet.

Comment from: T©aya, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

In 1981I had a lower spine fusion. I had a blood transfusion and approximately 1-2 years post the back surgery the hospital called me for me to take a blood test for HIV. I did and was relieved that I did not have HIV but my happiness was short lived because I was positive for cytomegalovirus (CMV). In the 80s I became very sick with severe fatigue, joint pain, memory problems (brain fog), swollen glands and fever. I was then diagnosed with chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome, CFIDS. In 1991 I was also diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia. As of today (January 2014) I still have severe chronic fibromyalgia, I am coping and thankful for every day that I have. I have and will continue to fight this long fight... I am a warrior!

Comment from: Mazzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I recently contracted CMV colitis virus and was sick for 4 months in total, two months in hospital on intravenous treatment and one month on oral treatment. I have now returned to work but don't feel well. I have fever and night sweats and I am feeling sick and light headed. My CMV DNA is currently 500.

Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Prevention Question: Please share tips and suggestions for preventing CMV.
Cytomegalovirus - HIV Question: If you have HIV, please share your experience with CMV.
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your CMV?