Patient Comments: Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with CMV?

Comment from: Bevj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I was in my early 40s when I was diagnosed with cytomegalovirus (CMV). A lot was going on in my life. My sister was diagnosed with chronic mononucleosis and hepatitis. I was running back and forth, my son was sick, long hours at work, and then when I got tired at first I ignored it. Then it got where I could not stay awake. I thought I had contracted the mononucleosis. I went to the doctor got tested it was negative. Then he said there is one more test for a virus that acts the same. Titer was off the roof. I was over a year getting better. I still have times where I am so tired I cannot get out of bed for days. I always worry I might give it to someone else. More needs to be done to cure this. If they can cure hepatitis C, why not CMV!

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I started out getting thrush, couldn't eat, and would gag on everything. After I lost 10 lb. the doctor did an EGD and it showed thrush in my esophagus and stomach. They said it was my immune system and gave me antifungal medicines and said I shouldn't get it anymore; that was 5 years ago. Since then I have had thrush at least twice a year and my ulcers were multiplying. I told them about losing a child to cytomegalovirus (CMV) and they tested me for it (which they should have done in 1993 when I lost my son), but they didn't till I asked them to in January of this year and it was positive. So that is why they told me I get thrush. Now I blame CMV on my ulcers also. I get worn down faster now than I did before my CMV kicked in. And it kicks me for a good month when I get sick.

Comment from: Ronni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

When I was 40, I was very yellow, and had absolutely no energy, could hardly even walk, and felt like I was dying. I had blood test run, my CMV (cytomegalovirus) test was extremely high, along with my LFTs (liver function tests). I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis (AH). That was 25 years ago, I don't know which illness came first. I am being treated for AH. I was never treated for CMV.

Comment from: mommaxena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had cytomegalovirus (CMV) many years ago. I had raging fever for almost 6 weeks, 101 to 104. Bone and joint pain was off the charts at times. I had extreme fatigue and overall weakness. I lost almost 30 lb. I have later in life been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My gut says there is some connection.

Comment from: Sickofbeingsick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have been sick most of my life. I have been given 10 different diagnosis, but no one ever figured this cytomegalovirus (CMV) out till recently! I am so depressed to know there is no cure! I am fed up with feeling like awful and am frustrated! Good luck to anyone else who suffers from this! I also have Lyme disease, lupus, and discoid sarcoidosis, fibromyalgia, Epstein–Barr virus, chronic fatigue and peripheral neuropathy! I keep trudging along but am extremely depressed!

Comment from: SLP, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had fever as high as 102 and had no strength for many months due to CMV (cytomegalovirus). Even when I returned to work, I had permission to go home if my temperature rose above 100.

Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Prevention Question: Please share tips and suggestions for preventing CMV.
Cytomegalovirus - Risk Factors Question: If you have HIV, please share your experience with CMV.
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your CMV?